Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ladies First - Sexist Slur??

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As a women, if a man says "ladies first" when getting off the train or into a lift etc. Then I would say "thank you" as I assume he is being polite, and get on with the rest of my life.

I think you will find that this kind off rubbish annoys as many women as it does men.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I only say ladies first to a homophobic chap in my office, as I know it mildly grates. I will open the door for any female, in general, though, and use an after you. I also do a flambouyant arm movement when I do so, but I think that looks pretty stupid, repeatedly, upon reflection.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
My Sister-in-Law is a feminist and we had a good Christmas day argument over all of this! I think many feminists seek equality when it suits them, when they want to have kids and stay at home to look after them while husband is off working all hours under the Sun then equality isn't a problem, when they and their husband splits up they are happy to take advantage of the fact that the courts prioritise the women's rights over a mans rights, they actively seek a mans-man as a partner but then complain that he isn't sensitive enough. They are moaning about the lack of Women in senior positions but not the fact that its predominantly men that are emptying bins, digging ditches and doing a lot of the low paid high risk jobs out there. Nobody is complaining that Men are the ones that are conscripted if there is a war, the last out in many emergency/ disaster situations and who's lives are generally valued far less. Men are meant to have it easier yet nobody is talking about the fact that 75% of all suicides are Men and its the single biggest killer of males under 45.

Absolutely this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know you're joking but it's primarily so they can get the pushchair into the hold. No-one in their right mind wants to be first onto the tin can and I'm genuinely shocked that people pay for priority boarding.

I disagree. The ability to bypass all the long queues at the gate and go straight to a seat, get on the plane first (and sit down) and have no issues with overhead luggage or standing around and also choosing your seat greatly improve the service I find. And with EasyJet speedy boarding also guarantees two items of luggage so they won’t pinch it from you and put in the hold.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree. The ability to bypass all the long queues at the gate and go straight to a seat, get on the plane first (and sit down) and have no issues with overhead luggage or standing around and also choosing your seat greatly improve the service I find. And with EasyJet speedy boarding also guarantees two items of luggage so they won’t pinch it from you and put in the hold.

With you on this. Would much rather be sat in my seat reading the paper with my stuff in the overhead locker than stood behind multiple people not realising the rows are in number order, trying to find a space to put their too-big 'hand baggage', eventually finding a space, stuffing it in before realising they need something out of it before take-off, all the time oblivious to the 150 people stood waiting behind them to get past.................

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You were dumped this week weren't you ?

By the way, my office is 75% female. It's not a concern. You see, I don't think of them as the enemy.

but i bet they think of you as a bit.of a sap who empathises with them when what they really want is a bloke who will take the piss a bit and treat them like a woman.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

thats easily remedied , twice ive been in the queue for boarding and had them tag my luggage to go in the hold , and both times ive simply waited till the easy jet employee has moved down the queue , and then removed the tag put it in the in bin and kept.my luggage with me

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No I wasn't.I just detest feminism.

Watch out for that 75%,one day they could put you in jail(So there's 3 of you and 2 women?)

4 men, 12 women.

And, no, I don't worry about false accusation. (Which is what you are implying a large percentage of women lean to).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I think alot of opening the door for someone is about the practicality of how you and the other person are positioned rather than to
be chivalrous.For example if I beat someone to open a door who is on the other side then it's easier to let that person through first
whether it's a man or women and I have been the one to be let through many times.From memory I don't often open the door for a woman
just to be chivalrous.I will usually just walk through first and hold the door open long enough for he to grab it.

Well, that was simple enough.

It's an age thing I guess so from now one I will do this.

Women 40+ / Open the door.
Women 28-39 / Consider it based on your hunch
Women 27 and under / Let them go f... themselves.

Now you're just making it complicated again. :wozza:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think a lot of people may have missed the point. It isn't who opens the door, or who goes first. It's what is said. Some women do not like the term 'ladies'.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Anyone see the excellent ‘This Morning’ yesterday morning? A hot debate over whether saying ‘ladies first’ is sexist? Seems the majority thought it was, what are NSCs thoughts?

I don't think it's sexist, but I don't expect it either. If a man offers me their seat on the bus/train I usually say 'I'm OK thanks' (except bendy buses because it better for everyone if I'm seated). I don't see why they should give me their seat.

If anyone is struggling with pushchairs, bags or whatever I open the door for them out of consideration

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think a lot of people may have missed the point. It isn't who opens the door, or who goes first. It's what is said. Some women do not like the term 'ladies'.

It's not being called "ladies" that they have an issue with. It's the connotations that come with the notion that they need a man to hold the door open for them because they're a lady. Apparently it's demeaning or something.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
My guess is that there are far more women than not who like chivalry,who like a man to take care of them,who are not into alot of feminism.Basically they like the parts of feminism that benefits them and not the parts that do not.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
My guess is that there are far more women than not who like chivalry,who like a man to take care of them,who are not into alot of feminism.Basically they like the parts of feminism that benefits them and not the parts that do not.

I think men need far more taking care of imho :laugh:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here