Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
http://www.caravelle.es is a tip-off from [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. You’ll see from the link it’s many things to many people but if you’re on the evening shift and craft beer and meat served by tattoed Catalan chicks is your thing it’s worth a visit. As a fan of all three I found myself there early last night. I knew about the first two, the latter wasn’t on the menu and came a bonus.

A nano brewery out the back takes care of the beer and they had 5 different types on; we took the Galactic pale and a NEIPA. Both solid takes on two classic styles. They also smoke and pickle so I was drawn to the rib platter which showcased these skills; pork rib, smoked sausage with slaw and a very nice soft garlic bread. Missus had the chicken burger. Food and drink was tasty, fresh, cooked well. Restaurant space was light, spacious and airy, a nice buzz about the place and service was fine. We took our time but when it was time to go we slammed a couple of Picklebacks before heading to a wine bar.

In summary it’s a solid 7/10. It does what it does very well. There’s a bunch of excellent craft bars in the same area....you could make a great evening of it.

Did the Mrs enjoy them too?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lol. You should see where I’m heading for lunch. This, from Tripadvisor:

Authentic classic Catalan cooking
Best brains in Barcelona. Lovely family run authentic Catalan restaurant. Friendly service.Classics include Trinxat (bubble and squeak), deep fried brains, snails, cap i pota (head and feet) and kidneys. A local cafe for local people and well worth seeking out.
Not open in the evening.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...66252345-Can_Vilaro-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Best brains in Barcelona. Lovely family run authentic Catalan restaurant. Friendly service.Classics include Trinxat (bubble and squeak), deep fried brains, snails, cap i pota (head and feet) and kidneys. A local cafe for local people and well worth seeking out.
Not open in the evening.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...66252345-Can_Vilaro-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#

Starred for my trip to Barcelona in April. Reservation necessary?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No reservations. It’s a basic and old school cafe/canteen type of place with a nice bar open from early morning until 16:00 as opposed to a restaurant. I got there at 14:30 today (Saturday) and it was rammed with a queue. I was initially told they had no room but I hung around for 20 mins pondering what to do with myself and the owner eventually sat me up at the bar. I was eating solo so they could squeeze me in. I guess it was peak time so I’d suggest going earlier and on a weekday.

It was full of mainly older locals. The staff only spoke Catalan, which seems quite different to Spanish. They were friendly and helpful and thankfully the menu they gave me had English translations. The wine was initially a little awkward as I asked for a glass of red and they opened a bottle and left it with me. I waited to have a glass poured but after observing others I worked out I needed to help myself and they will charge me for how much I drank at the end. I remember similar at Comidas Bar San Juan in Ibiza. I took Trinxat (kinda like bubble and squeak with pork bits) , veal head and feet stew, blood sausage and lambs brains. All was very nice and rustic in approach. The rotund owner came over to enquire how the brains were (mainly via sign language) and gave me a thumbs up.

Oh, and the police came in for a coffee..which I noted was on the house. Best keep the plod onside I guess.

All good, very authentic and highly recommend if you like this sort of thing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://www.caravelle.es is a tip-off from [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. You’ll see from the link it’s many things to many people but if you’re on the evening shift and craft beer and meat served by tattoed Catalan chicks is your thing it’s worth a visit. As a fan of all three I found myself there early last night. I knew about the first two, the latter wasn’t on the menu and came a bonus.

A nano brewery out the back takes care of the beer and they had 5 different types on; we took the Galactic pale and a NEIPA. Both solid takes on two classic styles. They also smoke and pickle so I was drawn to the rib platter which showcased these skills; pork rib, smoked sausage with slaw and a very nice soft garlic bread. Missus had the chicken burger. Food and drink was tasty, fresh, cooked well. Restaurant space was light, spacious and airy, a nice buzz about the place and service was fine. We took our time but when it was time to go we slammed a couple of Picklebacks before heading to a wine bar.

In summary it’s a solid 7/10. It does what it does very well. There’s a bunch of excellent craft bars in the same area....you could make a great evening of it.

Glad you enjoyed. That area is excellent, next time I go back it'll hopefully be with a group of adults and not just my son (though I found it from a family friendly Barcelona list - the kids menu is also pretty decent apparently).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I will also recommend http://www.vasodeoro.com. It’s a long thin very old pub with a German background. They brew their own excellent pilsner and the house food speciality is Solomillo con Foie....a plate of steak with foie gras and onions....a must have and it will put hairs on your chest. Again this place can be super busy but it’s worth waiting or going off peak time. Some of the staff are highly entertaining as well. I have been going to this place every year for the past 5-6 years now.

Oh, and https://www.garagebeer.co for your craft. They make excellent pales, IPAs, stouts and porters.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Went to the Three Crowns at Wisborough Green for lunch today, recommended by friends.

Very traditional, short menu, just three Sunday roasts, beef, pork, or lamb, a fish alternative, (baked cod l think), and a vegetarian dish. a few starters and puddings too.

I chose the beef, from the Trenchmore herd in Cowfold, (pay me later guys), which was served rare, plenty of it too, accompanied by the usual roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, and a very good selection of vegetables, and very tasty it was. The wife went for the roast pork option, served as above, but with the addition of cracking and apple sauce. She very much enjoyed hers too.

20 pounds for two courses, 26 for three. The only thing that rankled a little bit, was the inclusion of an 'optional' 12.5% service charge. I'm normally happy to pay that if l am in a large group, but not just for a party of two. On this occasion though the service really was very good, so l happily paid it. I also had to make do with English mustard as they didn't have any French, but l'll let that go.

8/10 overall.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As we appear to have gone international now ..... had a nice lunch the Le Montfort in Rennes this week. Mrs W had truffle Knocky ( yes I know it's not really spelt like that ). I had roast lamb with Miss W declaring her pork loin the best pork she'd ever had. Usually for a French place the veg was great and plentiful. A little gem hidden amoung a huge number of pizza and burger places. 8/10.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Not open in the evening.

In Barcelona today and made a beeline for this place for lunch but they're closed for Easter :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Barcelona today and made a beeline for this place for lunch but they're closed for Easter :(

Boooooo. That’s a real shame.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here