Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I know that I am old and probably out of touch but I cannot for the life of me see how any meal could warrant a £100 per head irrespective of who the chef is and what food he/she has cooked

The wine would make up a hefty percentage of this.

Depends on the establishment. Most high end (say, just for example, anything with one or more stars) places will have a tasting menu where food alone will be £90 - £140 pp. Of course, there are only about 175 restaurants in the UK with one or more stars, so it's a tiny % of the catering induestry where you'll pay £100 a head just for the food - but they definitely exist.

I think The Araki currently has the most expensive set menu - £310.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Typically a 400% mark up from cost. It’s a huge profit.

You should eat in restaurants that don't do this then! Nowhere I've eaten in the last several years applies anything close to a 400% mark up.

I know of several where they charge a fixed £/bottle uplift. The cheapest is £10/bottle. In the offy at £10? It'll cost you £20 in the restaurant. In the wine merchants at £75? It'll cost you £85.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Depends on the establishment. Most high end (say, just for example, anything with one or more stars) places will have a tasting menu where food alone will be £90 - £140 pp. Of course, there are only about 175 restaurants in the UK with one or more stars, so it's a tiny % of the catering induestry where you'll pay £100 a head just for the food - but they definitely exist.

that is my point the best available food on sale does not warrant such a price even the best caviar using sturgeons roe.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You should eat in restaurants that don't do this then! Nowhere I've eaten in the last several years applies anything close to a 400% mark up.

I know of several where they charge a fixed £/bottle uplift. The cheapest is £10/bottle. In the offy at £10? It'll cost you £20 in the restaurant. In the wine merchants at £75? It'll cost you £85.

I’ve seen £10 bottles priced at £20 and feel that’s pretty reasonable. A £75 bottle for £85 and I’d suggest that’s a very high risk business model.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
that is my point the best available food on sale does not warrant such a price even the best caviar using sturgeons roe.

I know that was your point; I was mostly correcting the other poster's assertion that the wine will make up a hefty proportion of £100 per head dinners. Generally, he's right, it will. But there are at least 200 UK restaurants where £100 is at the bottom end for food alone.

Beluga 000 is £370 for less than 2 ounces!

You're paying for ingredient quality and cooking skill/time when you dine at those prices. Some sauces take 4 days to prepare. Whether it's worth it is entirely a personal choice - for you, it isn't; for me, sometimes (maybe once a month?) it is. :shrug:

That said - I've not eaten at The Araki. For two reasons: 1 I can't believe it's better than Sushi Tetsu; 2 I'm not prepared to pay £310 a head to find out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve seen £10 bottles priced at £20 and feel that’s pretty reasonable. A £75 bottle for £85 and I’d suggest that’s a very high risk business model.

I'd agree. The place I'm thinking of doesn't go any higher than £85/bottle. I imagine they have very limited stocks of wines at those prices!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Kitchin in Edinburgh (1* I think) does a great value menu at £75......it’s three ‘official’ courses but interspersed with other surprises. Wonderful food, locally sourced. Wine mark-up is typically horrific of course [emoji23][emoji23]....bog standard/reasonable wines were c£20 a 250ml glass

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Kitchin in Edinburgh (1* I think) does a great value menu at £75......it’s three ‘official’ courses but interspersed with other surprises. Wonderful food, locally sourced. Wine mark-up is typically horrific of course [emoji23][emoji23]....bog standard/reasonable wines were c£20 a 250ml glass

Yep. Eaten there - it's great. A 3 course menu (even with a couple of extra nibbles) is really a "set" menu rather than a tasting menu though. Kitchin do their proper tasting menu at around £120.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep. Eaten there - it's great. A 3 course menu (even with a couple of extra nibbles) is really a "set" menu rather than a tasting menu though. Kitchin do their proper tasting menu at around £120.

Yep....planning on going back and trying that next time.....trouble is my trips up North are usually at quite short notice, and it’s difficult to get in !

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep....planning on going back and trying that next time.....trouble is my trips up North are usually at quite short notice, and it’s difficult to get in !

You might want to try Martin Wishart in Leith on your return. Also 1 star. Also hard to get into on short notice...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can I also mention Fourth & Church, for those that drinking good wine cheaply is important. They have about a quarter or third of Butlers' range, and will charge you just £10 on top to drink in. That does make the £75 bottle set you back £85.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You might want to try Martin Wishart in Leith on your return. Also 1 star. Also hard to get into on short notice...

Yes, that’s on the list too (daughter is a bit of a foodie living up there and chooses somewhere - that I pay for, naturally - whenever I’m visiting). Kitchin has opened a new place in the City as well, more gastropub style.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, that’s on the list too (daughter is a bit of a foodie living up there and chooses somewhere - that I pay for, naturally - whenever I’m visiting). Kitchin has opened a new place in the City as well, more gastropub style.

Oh? I didn't know that - thanks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I always see these places as a treat so expect to pay the going rate which is quite often approaching £100 per head.

My last meal was £315 for me and the wife in the Gingerman. We were there for over 3 hours and went for the tasting menu with wine. We also had a fair amount to drink.

We eat at The Gingerman and the bill is typically £150 plus, including drinks and it’s not a rushed event.

You must have consumed a lot of highly priced drinks?

Their food’s been great for many years and it’s cosy, unpretentious place.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We eat at The Gingerman and the bill is typically £150 plus, including drinks and it’s not a rushed event.

You must have consumed a lot of highly priced drinks?

Their food’s been great for many years and it’s cosy, unpretentious place.

6 course taster menu with accompanying wines. Add in the tip plus some additional drinks then you have your bill.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
6 course taster menu with accompanying wines. Add in the tip plus some additional drinks then you have your bill.

Same menu for us, £120 for two, some beers and glasses of wine, tea/coffee and always tip.

Perhaps you’re opting for the Wine Pairing and other nice drinks.

I know the Gingerman is not the cheapest, but it’s good value for high end dining.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Same menu for us, £120 for two, some beers and glasses of wine, tea/coffee and always tip.

Perhaps you’re opting for the Wine Pairing and other nice drinks.

I know the Gingerman is not the cheapest, but it’s good value for high end dining.

Absolutely, it’s been consistently top quality for c. 20 years.

We had from memory 3 additional drinks each one glass of Ridgeview and two other glasses of red. I’d have to check my bank statement but pretty sure it was around £315.

It was a special occasion and we did go for it. Typically it’s around £200 when we visit there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely, it’s been consistently top quality for c. 20 years.

We had from memory 3 additional drinks each one glass of Ridgeview and two other glasses of red. I’d have to check my bank statement but pretty sure it was around £315.

It was a special occasion and we did go for it. Typically it’s around £200 when we visit there.

Not for any particular health or cost reason or anything, I don’t drink a vast amount of booze with meals. Leaving it that to the (infrequent these days) occasions I’m out just for drinks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know that I am old and probably out of touch but I cannot for the life of me see how any meal could warrant a £100 per head irrespective of who the chef is and what food he/she has cooked

I used to think the same. In fact many years ago I used to mock a colleague who would dress up and spend the occasional Saturday night with his wife eating a four hour meal consisting of minuscule portions which cost a small fortune; I could not see any point to this and didn’t understand it. The wife was the same. Fast forward to now and it’s an extravagance which I’m fully signed-up to, understand a lot more and get a lot of enjoyment from.

That said my 18 year old self would be utterly appalled at what I’ve now become :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here