Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Post game Saturday Baby Bao at the Pond, challenging getting a table amongst all the drinkers, although I am not sure why. It feels like the craft bubble is at bursting point. The food service though was prompt and the quality was very good. The Bao buns are super soft and the range of side dishes is broad enough to suit most tastes. Would go again, although possibly at a quieter time.

Followed this up with Sunday lunch at Marroccos. Me and Mrs Rolls both went for Minestrone, different seafood and pasta options and then ice cream. I have no idea why it has been so long since I last visited this place absolute quality. Lots of little ones out for Sunday lunch and I am pleased to report they were all beautifully behaved near me. Next year they will celebrate 50 years as a family restaurant, absolute stars and they put so many of the second rate Italian restaurants in the area to shame.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Pre-match brunch in Mange Tout yesterday with [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] amongst others, selected as it has favourable reviews and was handy for the train to the Amex.

We had a variety of things from the Brunch menu and there wasn't a scrap of food left at the end. The tomato compote which accompanied many of the dishes was a fantastic addition.

My "mange tout végétarien" was one of the best veggie breakfasts I've had, complete with perfectly cooked poached eggs, and I think [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] was very impressed with the quality of the toulouse sausage.

Despite being busy, our food came out impressively quickly.

I'll definitely be going back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfi6mT8gPB4

Jul 7, 2003
Any recommendations for Shoreham? Despite living here for four years I haven’t eaten out in the town once. It’s a new year’s resolution to do so and I have a couple of occasions coming up so would like to tick off my first local venues. Not really fussed about a particular type of food, I’d just like to know where is good?

As a family we like Toscas. Never had a bad meal and great value for money.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any recommendations for Shoreham? Despite living here for four years I haven’t eaten out in the town once. It’s a new year’s resolution to do so and I have a couple of occasions coming up so would like to tick off my first local venues. Not really fussed about a particular type of food, I’d just like to know where is good?

Take you pick - La Galleria, Chambers or the new kid on the block Slate.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How do they compare (based on the last time you did go to Tosca)?

Probably a minimum of 3 years since been to Toscas, just cannot get on with the place and far prefer La Galleria however others will tell you exactly the opposite.

Perhaps try one then the other.....

Chambers is good but in my view a tad overpriced, Slate only been once see review on last years thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having been there last year I'd go along with Chambers being good but a bit pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Enjoyed a visit to Polpo last week. May have slightly over ordered as their 'small dishes' are not quite as small as I remembered. Highlights were scallops with butternut squash, chicken Milanesa and the ever excellent meatballs. Polpo are offering 20% in January off if you join their mailing list which makes it pretty good value especially as this applies to drinks as well as food.

I went to Polpo after the game on Saturday too as my missus went in London recently and really enjoyed it.

We were very well fed with 1 beer and 1 glass of wine with the 20% off came to £42 which I thought was very good value. I enjoyed the food and concept, although she said the beef shin ragu tasted better / richer in London - possibly the Brighton one had not been cooked as long and was a bit more tomatoey?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jamie's Italian Brighton

What ! You reviewed this previous page I hear you ask, well no undernourished student this time but a £10 off voucher valid to 31.01 to be used.

Starters of Italian Nachos and Devonshire Crab on toast and smashed advocado no less - loves his words does the mockney boy - very agreeable to say the least and mains of steak and fries with veg.

Nice house red to wash it down and I am warming to his restaurants now.

8 out of 10

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Jamie's Italian Brighton

What ! You reviewed this previous page I hear you ask, well no undernourished student this time but a £10 off voucher valid to 31.01 to be used.

Starters of Italian Nachos and Devonshire Crab on toast and smashed advocado no less - loves his words does the mockney boy - very agreeable to say the least and mains of steak and fries with veg.

Nice house red to wash it down and I am warming to his restaurants now.

8 out of 10

Would've been cheaper at Wetherspoons :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/25/jamie-oliver-and-wetherspoons-caught-up-in-meat-recall

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I am no food snob and have eaten several times in the Spoons, you get what you pay for and for what you do get there, given the price is pretty good value

Let he who has not breakfasted at Spoons cast the first blow

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Vice & Virtue - Leeds.

En route to Boro, stopped off in Leeds for a night. Probably the best cocktails I’ve ever had. Food - trying oh so hard to get a star, but not quite making it. Most courses were fine, but not spectacular (eg crab salad was fresh and zingy, but too wet - ooh matron), and FFS wipe the lipstick off the wine glass before giving it to me. Still - the cheapest Louis XIII I’ve ever had, so not all bad.

Cocktails - 9.5/10
Food 7/10

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Vice & Virtue - Leeds.

En route to Boro, stopped off in Leeds for a night. Probably the best cocktails I’ve ever had. Food - trying oh so hard to get a star, but not quite making it. Most courses were fine, but not spectacular (eg crab salad was fresh and zingy, but too wet - ooh matron), and FFS wipe the lipstick off the wine glass before giving it to me. Still - the cheapest Louis XIII I’ve ever had, so not all bad.

Cocktails - 9.5/10
Food 7/10

A long time ago, I used to write about alcohol for a few years. It was at the turn of the millennium, when the cocktail scene was really kicking in. I reviewed Leeds and it was probably the most exciting city for cocktails. There was also a stand out 'mixologist' called Jake Burger (in London, my favourites were Dick Bradsell, then Tony Conigliaro). If the cocktails you had were that good, I wonder if he had something to do with it, whether making or involved in the training. There was also a cracking bar back then called Mojo, which had a delicious seediness while just about every other cocktail bar was high-end and design-oriented.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A long time ago, I used to write about alcohol for a few years. It was at the turn of the millennium, when the cocktail scene was really kicking in. I reviewed Leeds and it was probably the most exciting city for cocktails. There was also a stand out 'mixologist' called Jake Burger (in London, my favourites were Dick Bradsell, then Tony Conigliaro). If the cocktails you had were that good, I wonder if he had something to do with it, whether making or involved in the training.

Your man Burger seems to be plying his trade here: https://jakesbar.co.uk/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A long time ago, I used to write about alcohol for a few years. It was at the turn of the millennium, when the cocktail scene was really kicking in. I reviewed Leeds and it was probably the most exciting city for cocktails. There was also a stand out 'mixologist' called Jake Burger (in London, my favourites were Dick Bradsell, then Tony Conigliaro). If the cocktails you had were that good, I wonder if he had something to do with it, whether making or involved in the training. There was also a cracking bar back then called Mojo, which had a delicious seediness while just about every other cocktail bar was high-end and design-oriented.

Blimey. I remember Mojo. 15-20 years ago I think. My memory is a bit vague but I remember it had a red hue and some neon inside. Still exists according to the web.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

http://www.intothebluerestaurant.com/ Gets a thumbs up from me after every visit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here