Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Go to China Palace several times a year and good quality, think they have just put their prices up though.

Going to Capri in Lancing in two weeks time, anyone been and any reviews ?

Capri is nice right next door to the micro pub The Standley 👍🏻

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Riddle & Finns - Brighton Seafront

Packed out seafront so table booked, loads turned away and I can tell you I am really warming to this restaurant.

Starters I had scallop carpaccio, picked fennel, confit lemon & wasabi dressing and the better half butter & champagne sautéed squid with celery & apple roulade & salmon caviar. These were both exceptional and light and tasty for a hot summer evening.

Both had mains of pan fried fillet of halibut , brown shrimp, new potatoes, asparagus & oyster veloute.

Absolute quality in this dish from the crispy skin to an oyster veloute to die for.

A superbly chilled Pignot Grigio to refresh on a balmy evening.

Fantastic restaurant but book if you want the one on the front.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Packed out seafront so table booked, loads turned away and I can tell you I am really warming to this restaurant.

Starters I had scallop carpaccio, picked fennel, confit lemon & wasabi dressing and the better half butter & champagne sautéed squid with celery & apple roulade & salmon caviar. These were both exceptional and light and tasty for a hot summer evening.

Both had mains of pan fried fillet of halibut , brown shrimp, new potatoes, asparagus & oyster veloute.

Absolute quality in this dish from the crispy skin to an oyster veloute to die for.

A platter of oysters with accompanying condiments and spices alongside an ice cold beer form R&F's is one of life's great, great pleasures.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, we did Little Fish Market a couple of weeks ago as planned, though never quite had time to write the review it deserved until now. I have to say, everything we read about it was true and it was one of the most enjoyable meals I've had in our great city.

Firstly you have to like fish. I know that's a given with the restaurant name but, still, fish based snacks and four fish based courses means you REALLY have to like fish. Liking white wine helps too.

If you do then there's probably no finer restaurant in Brighton. Each dish was cleverly conceived and beautifully executed with the perfect portion size to fit the overall experience. Never once do you feel over-stuffed or under-fed.

My favourite was a salmon dish, perhaps suprising given that I tire easily of salmon, given that is seems to be our default supermarket fish of choice at home when we want something the kids will eat. This, however, was cooked exactly as I love it - just off medium rare - and flaking perfectly with lovely crisp skin, sympathetic accompanyments and the best wine of the evening.

We did the wine pairing. Personally I would only do this once. We wanted to try everything on there because they all seemed so good but we'll probably go for a bottle of something mid-rangy next time just because it will cut the bill down a little.

Service was fantastic and this is where the place really has a USP compared to a lot of busier restaurants in Brighton. The small number of customers, single front of house and one chef makes it very intimate and the way they book the tables so you can only arrive at 7, 8 or 9 but stay the whole night, staggers the covers so that the pace of the meal is perfect to the minute and the food always arrives looking and tasting like it's stright out of the pan rather than the heat lamps. To say we were well looked after is an understatement. Yes, they got a tip :)

Mrs GB has declaraed it her new favourite place in Brighton, preferring the individual plates and limitless time at the table to 64 Degrees (we got one of the 7pm slots). I'm still with 64 Degrees. I'd like options that weren't fish and prefer the busier nature of the venue and discussion about food that sharing dishes starts off. Two hours is long enough for me and you're nearer decent drinks places to round off an evening. Little Fish Market is a very decent second for me though and really only down to personal choice. Absolutely certain we'll be back to both again soon.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well, we did Little Fish Market a couple of weeks ago as planned, though never quite had time to write the review it deserved until now. I have to say, everything we read about it was true and it was one of the most enjoyable meals I've had in our great city.

Firstly you have to like fish. I know that's a given with the restaurant name but, still, fish based snacks and four fish based courses means you REALLY have to like fish. Liking white wine helps too.

If you do then there's probably no finer restaurant in Brighton. Each dish was cleverly conceived and beautifully executed with the perfect portion size to fit the overall experience. Never once do you feel over-stuffed or under-fed.

My favourite was a salmon dish, perhaps suprising given that I tire easily of salmon, given that is seems to be our default supermarket fish of choice at home when we want something the kids will eat. This, however, was cooked exactly as I love it - just off medium rare - and flaking perfectly with lovely crisp skin, sympathetic accompanyments and the best wine of the evening.

We did the wine pairing. Personally I would only do this once. We wanted to try everything on there because they all seemed so good but we'll probably go for a bottle of something mid-rangy next time just because it will cut the bill down a little.

Service was fantastic and this is where the place really has a USP compared to a lot of busier restaurants in Brighton. The small number of customers, single front of house and one chef makes it very intimate and the way they book the tables so you can only arrive at 7, 8 or 9 but stay the whole night, staggers the covers so that the pace of the meal is perfect to the minute and the food always arrives looking and tasting like it's stright out of the pan rather than the heat lamps. To say we were well looked after is an understatement. Yes, they got a tip :)

Mrs GB has declaraed it her new favourite place in Brighton, preferring the individual plates and limitless time at the table to 64 Degrees (we got one of the 7pm slots). I'm still with 64 Degrees. I'd like options that weren't fish and prefer the busier nature of the venue and discussion about food that sharing dishes starts off. Two hours is long enough for me and you're nearer decent drinks places to round off an evening. Little Fish Market is a very decent second for me though and really only down to personal choice. Absolutely certain we'll be back to both again soon.

Glad you enjoyed. I've done the wine pairing and actually found it a bit much, was totally sozzled when I left.

I found myself at Street Diner the other day and Cin Cin had a stall. One brilliantly, freshly cooked box of pasta with nduja and peas later and I'm gagging to get down to Vine Street again for the full experience. You really have to like salt with those guys though, they don't mess around, and nor should they.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hello all. Just looking for some help on a nice place to book for a business lunch. Needs to be central Brighton, we are based in North Laines and client is coming from London. Launched my creative business in April this year and this is my first Brighton based lunch so be great to make it a good one! I tried the Ivy, but it's booked up, I am looking for something w/c July 9th. Cheers for your help in advance any suggestions massively appreciated!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hello all. Just looking for some help on a nice place to book for a business lunch. Needs to be central Brighton, we are based in North Laines and client is coming from London. Launched my creative business in April this year and this is my first Brighton based lunch so be great to make it a good one! I tried the Ivy, but it's booked up, I am looking for something w/c July 9th. Cheers for your help in advance any suggestions massively appreciated!

How big is your group?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Happy wife, happy life :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review as well, as I love fish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A platter of oysters with accompanying condiments and spices alongside an ice cold beer form R&F's is one of life's great, great pleasures.

Correct.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Coal Shed, Salt Rooms (this can get full of yummy mummies at lunchtime but really good still), Silo is VERY Brighton if you want something different, Cin Cin if there's two of you could be fun and 64 degrees if you're showing off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sadly I found out last night, that a once popular Horsham institution is set to close. Granted probably not known to many people outside the Horsham area, but Mr.Li's has been well known to local diners for over a quarter of a century.

My wife and I moved down from London in 1989 and being fans of good Chinese food were recommended to Mr.Li's by some friends. We used to eat there regularly during it's heyday of the 1990's and early noughties, when on a Friday and Saturday evening thje restaurant was inevitably packed, with no chance of a table unless you had reserved well in advance.

Sadly over the last ten years or so, Horsham has been overrun my eating establishments, both restaurants and takeaways, with East Street, (on the opposite side of town from Mr.Li's), almost wall to wall with restaurants. All this has taken it's toll on Helen the owner, and the last few years has seen the restaurant lose it's music license, very few people seem to go through the door, and the interior has become quite shabby.

From September set to become part of the Domino's pizza empire sadly. Thanks for all the great memories Helen and Tommy.

Jul 7, 2003
Sadly I found out last night, that a once popular Horsham institution is set to close. Granted probably not known to many people outside the Horsham area, but Mr.Li's has been well known to local diners for over a quarter of a century.

My wife and I moved down from London in 1989 and being fans of good Chinese food were recommended to Mr.Li's by some friends. We used to eat there regularly during it's heyday of the 1990's and early noughties, when on a Friday and Saturday evening thje restaurant was inevitably packed, with no chance of a table unless you had reserved well in advance.

Sadly over the last ten years or so, Horsham has been overrun my eating establishments, both restaurants and takeaways, with East Street, (on the opposite side of town from Mr.Li's), almost wall to wall with restaurants. All this has taken it's toll on Helen the owner, and the last few years has seen the restaurant lose it's music license, very few people seem to go through the door, and the interior has become quite shabby.

From September set to become part of the Domino's pizza empire sadly. Thanks for all the great memories Helen and Tommy.

I worked in Horsham during the late 90's early 2000's and we would use Mr Li's. Hadn't really eaten much Chinese food before so it was my introduction to the cuisine. Always remember the food being good but when you went in a large group you had to check the bill carefully as the pricing had a habit of being somewhat flexible. Shame to see it go after all these years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It's good innit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Love Riddle & Finns but it annoys me you can't book an outside table - it's turn up and hope.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just 2, the client and I.

As you’re based in North Laine I’d suggest Cin Cin then. Reason I asked is that you sit around a bar with the cooking and service in the middle...it’s good for groups of 2, 3 but gets a bit difficult if you have larger numbers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As you’re based in North Laine I’d suggest Cin Cin then. Reason I asked is that you sit around a bar with the cooking and service in the middle...it’s good for groups of 2, 3 but gets a bit difficult if you have larger numbers.

I'll second Cin Cin but also throw in Semolina just up the road in Baker Street. They don't do lunch on Monday or Tuesday's though.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Has anyone got any good recommendations for lunch or dinner set menus, within a radius 20 miles of Brighton .

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Love Riddle & Finns but it annoys me you can't book an outside table - it's turn up and hope.

There's a very good reason for that. If you take reservations for tables that are obviously better than the others in a restaurant - outside in nice weather, great view etc - then every single customer will ask to be sat in them and be disappointed when told that they are already booked so you have already pissed people off a bit before you have even started.

Even worse, if a customer turns up at 12:30 for example and asks to sit on a prime table and is told that it is booked and then the person who it is booked for is late or doesn't turn up at all, a customer can spend the whole meal looking at the empty table that they were not allowed to sit at and end up seething and vowing never to return.

Far better just to seat the prime tables as people arrive and then later customers can see that the tables are full and can either wait for the next one or sit straight down

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here