Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Another visit to Semolina, Baker Street and prior to that a few excellent pints of Harvey’s Best at The Mitre. A few days ago fish and chips at Bardsley’s. Life does not get much better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another visit to Semolina, Baker Street and prior to that a few excellent pints of Harvey’s Best at The Mitre. A few days ago fish and chips at Bardsley’s. Life does not get much better.

Can I recommend you round off your gastronomic tour of Baker Street with a couple of Hunter's Chicken pies out of Bangers. Food of the Gods! :drool:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I recommend you round off your gastronomic tour of Baker Street with a couple of Hunter's Chicken pies out of Bangers. Food of the Gods! :drool:

I wonder what odds you’d have got on Baker St being the gastronomic centre of Brighton ten years ago?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not local but thought worth a mention and certainly worth a visit if you're up that way.......

Have been trying to get to The Kitchin in Edinburgh for a while and finally managed it this week with my daughter. We had the set 3 course menu. Food was absolutely outstanding. Canape of handmade crackers with a cream cheese and caraway seeds, starters of a fried pigs ear crisp on 15-hour braised pigs head with a langoustine and venison 3 ways, additional course of an onion veloute with lardons (served in a hollow onion), we both had monkfish for main (with squid, squid ink pasta in a saffron sauce) a pre-dessert of rice pudding with salted caramel sauce and blood oranges and then a couple of fantastic desserts. Table next to us has the cheeseboard, after seeing and smelling that I was tempted to add that as well but was truly sated at that point so decided not to....not cheap (£75 per person for the set menu plus drinks) but very memorable. Excellent service throughout.
That's more than 3 courses so must be worth the cost!☺ Does sound good though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Trip to New Steine Bistro last light. Very nice and with a French ish menu. Don't expect anything fancy but it's all very tasty. Downsides are they run out of dessert options very quickly and they never automatically serve butter with bread ( a bug bear of mine ) - and when you ask for butter it comes in those pesky little catering packs. Mrs W's steak was perfect as was my chicken in mustard sauce. We always go on a Groupon - I probably wouldn't pay the menu price though. 8/10 via Groupon, 6.5/10 if not.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I went to the Crab Shack in Worthing last week. Fantastic seafood, nice rustic beach style decor, good atmosphere and very friendly welcome. It's just been recently extended too. Recommended.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to the Crab Shack in Worthing last week. Fantastic seafood, nice rustic beach style decor, good atmosphere and very friendly welcome. It's just been recently extended too. Recommended.

I need to get to this place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

On my to do list, do you need to book in advance ?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

It's a bit of a gem being going for years my sons' love it. I went to a see The Handsome family last night courtesy of middle son, he took me to Brighton Rocks, a great blues music bar with good cocktails and great Pizza delivered from Pizza Face. After the concert a few beers in The Hand in Hand.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We returned to The Dining Room in Worthing for brunch today.

The menu is all a bit different to the usual (in Worthing at least) with items such as Corn pancakes, streaky bacon & dulce-de-leche.

Shashuka for me - a middle Eastern dish of eggs in a thick, rich tomato-y sauce, served with some home-made bread. Also at the table, a fish finger sandwich, in home-made brioche and a bacon sandwich. All very good indeed. The two pigs I was dining with kicked on and had one of the home-made croissants each - large and piping hot - I had a bit of food envy for not partaking myself.

We didn't make it a boozey one, but I was still surprised that our total bill came in at a contactless-payment level - so it's very keenly priced too.

The Vintage Tearoom at The Dome Cinema has long been our go-to spot for Sunday brunch, so it's good to now have another option I'd gladly return to.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just booked the Sportsman for early June (earliest available booking - and that’s a Tuesday...). Would love to book Wheelers too as I bloody love oysters, but my partner throws up every time she eats them. Says they remind her of... never mind.

I absolutely love it, but I don't get out to eat as much as you do. FWIW, my friend that gets out to eat the most doesn't rate it that highly and I suspect you'll be slightly less enthusiastic than others. I hope you're going for lunch as, if you book the tasting menu, it lasts a long time (we were in there for just over five hours last time). You could have it a bit quicker, but it's a very unhurried place. In terms of the food on the tasting menu, his cooking style isn't that technical, it's very much ingredient-led, most of which come from the sea, or the surrounding area. I'm not entirely sure of the many courses I've had there, any of them have the wow factor, but they're just so well executed, and so consistently good. A different way of putting this is that each dish is worth an eight or nine out of ten, although there are no tens. It is also outstanding value, there is no Michelin finery, rather unfussy, friendly service. A really good wine list, which is just as good value as the food, although if you manage to have a chat with Stephen, he might get you something from his private cellar (that Noble Rot connection).

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
A word for Ami Bistro in Rowlands Road, Worthing. Doesn't look much from the outside and was quiet when our group dined last week, but the food is sensational and the service friendly and efficient.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bubba Gump - Navy Pier

Another ticked off the to do list even though a chain. So both ordered shrimp meals and managed to find a beer not over-inflated in cost offering you the glass to take home.

Meals were excellent but had to ask for cutlery so after a humbling apology left no tip for that basic error. Even had the cheek to ask why as well.

Food 8/10 service shocking

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bubba Gump - Navy Pier

Another ticked off the to do list even though a chain. So both ordered shrimp meals and managed to find a beer not over-inflated in cost offering you the glass to take home.

Meals were excellent but had to ask for cutlery so after a humbling apology left no tip for that basic error. Even had the cheek to ask why as well.

That is harsh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It's one of our favourite places to eat. Really is a special place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chard, London Road

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but this is a new week-night only restaurant (they sometimes do one-offs, pop-ups, bespoke stuff at weekends), which takes over a coffee shop, Cafe Rust, in the evening. It's run by three charming young Irish friends/family members, and that Irish influence does shine through. The food is solid, good-sized portions, bold flavours, seasonality and well-executed. This little in the way of finery, but just an honest offering. It's not going to win any awards for technique or novelty, but it has secured my repeat custom as it fits my bill of a decent night out.
We had mackerel crudo, and pickled herrings with soda bread. Then, brill with cockles and greens, and lamb with wheatberries, followed by arctic roll with rhubarb and a honey(comb) sundae. My advice is to give it a go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bubba Gump - Navy Pier

You're in a country where many servers live or die on their tips and you didn't leave a tip on an "8/10 excellent meal" because you had to ask for cutlery?

That says far more about you than both the restaurant and the server. When I read examples like this, I understand why Brits can have such a poor reputation over there.

Take a look at yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here