Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The Dining Room (Worthing) - http://www.the-dining-room.co.uk/

I was a long-time fan of Crescent Road Cafe, which used to be in these premises, but I had been slightly put off visiting The Dining Room by their initial "Private Dining Club" type concept, but with that idea being withdrawn and having heard positive things, I decided to give it a go.

We went for their 7 course tasting menu @ £48 per head, which I complemented with the wine flight +£18 whilst Mrs B ploughed through a bottle of fizz.

I had the veggie version because I am, errr, veggie whilst across the table the fish options were also added.

We had a fantastic meal from beginning to end. The standouts for me were the first course - a Leek & Brighton Blue Tartlet and, although I've not got much of a sweet tooth, the pre-dessert with flavours of miso-caramel and banana, was exceptional. I finished with cheese which was a decent-sized portion and both my dining partner and the couple of the table adjoining ours were full of praise for the main dessert of a Pear frangipane tart, almond praline and a chocolate creme Angalise.

The success of the puds wasn't a massive surprise with the proprietors being behind the Vice Puddings venture also.

At the end of the meal we got talking to the Jon and Ro, the owners, and they're wonderful people working hard bringing something different to Worthing, and they deserve to succeed. I was aware of Jon from his efforts to get the Sundowners and Sunuppers events going through the Summer months in previous years - something else that deserves support. Worthing is never going to be Brighton, clearly, but those trying to drag up the culinary level of the town need people to use them or lose them.

I know they do pie nights and some sort of quiz night (where you get to eat the questions) - both of which I shall be looking to try out.

£18 for the flight? Were they decent wines and did you get enough with each course as that is the cheapest I have ever seen I think. Used to paying north of £30 paired with 3 courses

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£18 for the flight? Were they decent wines and did you get enough with each course as that is the cheapest I have ever seen I think. Used to paying north of £30 paired with 3 courses

Three glasses of wine and then a fourth, smaller, dessert wine. I enjoyed them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Strictly not a restaurant but a takeaway.

Trawlerman in Manor Parade, Worthing has been there for as long as I can remember. It was recently taken over by the former chef of the Egremont and re-opened as a more 'modern' Fish & Chip shop. Not a massive Fish & Chip fan but ended up having it on Friday.

Thought it was brilliant, clearly fresh fish and not frozen. The Cod was very meaty, and had a lovely white milky texture. Well cooked in a good batter. Proper fish and chip shop chips too well cooked, fluffy and crispy on the outside. There was a 25min wait and they were rushed off their feet which is a good sign. Definitely better than your average Fish & Chip shop.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Trawlerman in Manor Parade, Worthing has been there for as long as I can remember.

Me too! Best part of 35 years ago it was out stopping off point for dinner on the way back home from swimming lessons at the Gateway Building Society (later Woolwich Building Society) pool. Cod Roe and chips and home just in time for Question of Sport (Emlyn Hughes and Bill Beaumont era).

Oct 25, 2003
I find the food in La Galleria to be just tipping below average and the service absolutely appalling verging on rude. Asked for a bread basket and got served a whole, uncut ,cold baguette on a cold side plate. When we asked what it was meant to be he came to our table with a bread knife and cut it up in front of us and said "it is now sliced".
We stood up there and then and walked out.
La Galleria is generally regarded as something of a shit hole by Shorehamites.
Try The slate. Mixed reviews and the owner is an utter **** but when they get it right it's great. Service is amazing.

we refused to go back to La Galleria when they gave us a really shit takeaway. Their attitude when I was ordering was as though I was asking if I could kill their kids. They seemed to take it as a personal attack of them that I just wanted to take the food home instead of eating in (we lived about 2 minutes away and it was a service they provided). What we received was an overcooked, chewy pizza and a lasagna that they'd obviously got out of the back of the freezer and hadn't reheated fully. We were both ill so didn't have the energy to complain but we never went back and told as many people as we could about it. We had eaten in before and found it fine, but unspectacular....couldn't be arsed with it again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here you go. Wine is the same principle but you have a different smaller than usual glass with each course. I must admit in my experience it’s usually called wine-pairing as oppose to a flight.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/flight

Ah, right, cheers for the link. The paddle type thing with the samplers in. Have had them many times, most recently at the Stone & Wood brewery in Byron Bay and the Madeira Beer Lab in Funchal (look at ME on my holidays!) Just never knew they were called beer flights, just thought they were called paddle type things. Will have to try the Brewdog one, looks like fun. Interesting that the Brewdog link actually asks 'what is a beer flight?' before going on to explain what is for the benefit of the uninitiated like me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, right, cheers for the link. The paddle type thing with the samplers in. Have had them many times, most recently at the Stone & Wood brewery in Byron Bay and the Madeira Beer Lab in Funchal (look at ME on my holidays!) Just never knew they were called beer flights, just thought they were called paddle type things. Will have to try the Brewdog one, looks like fun. Interesting that the Brewdog link actually asks 'what is a beer flight?' before going on to explain what is for the benefit of the uninitiated like me.

Given your contributions regarding beer I figured you most likely knew what they were just not the name :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here you go. Wine is the same principle but you have a different smaller than usual glass with each course. I must admit in my experience it’s usually called wine-pairing as oppose to a flight.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/flight

Yes, you're right, it's a pairing. Not sure why I wrote flight.

I'd expect a flight of something to be served together at one time, whereas with the pairing each drink is delivered at a particular time to be consumed alongside a specific dish.

Jul 7, 2003
Strictly not a restaurant but a takeaway.

Trawlerman in Manor Parade, Worthing has been there for as long as I can remember. It was recently taken over by the former chef of the Egremont and re-opened as a more 'modern' Fish & Chip shop. Not a massive Fish & Chip fan but ended up having it on Friday.

Thought it was brilliant, clearly fresh fish and not frozen. The Cod was very meaty, and had a lovely white milky texture. Well cooked in a good batter. Proper fish and chip shop chips too well cooked, fluffy and crispy on the outside. There was a 25min wait and they were rushed off their feet which is a good sign. Definitely better than your average Fish & Chip shop.

Interesting to know. Bloke who used to run it was a nightmare and definitely had his favourites. You could go in there and order food and then a load of his regulars would turn up and you would be waiting ages for your food while everyone else got served before you.

I use the one at the other end of Salvington Road which has some of the best chips around. Can be a wait as the chips are always fresh cooked but worthwhile. The owners used to be down at Limbrick Lane who were in turn trained by the proper old Northern bloke who ran it for years before retiring.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I use the one at the other end of Salvington Road which has some of the best chips around. Can be a wait as the chips are always fresh cooked but worthwhile. The owners used to be down at Limbrick Lane who were in turn trained by the proper old Northern bloke who ran it for years before retiring.

Thats my local but the last couple of times I've had it the fish has been a bit odd and 'grey' which put me off. But yes always remember the chips and curry sauce was bang on

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Chambers Bistro Shoreham

So armed with a £10 off voucher a third visit (NB the £10 off was an offer by mail not a moan offer):

Starters both had the Smoked Salmon Royale - beetroot waffle, soft poached egg and chive hollandaise - reasonable but a rather gooey egg almost underdone for me. Beetroot waffle was nice but is there a need to serve this on a piece of slate ?

Mains - I had the Pork Loin Schnitzel and wife had Pan Roasted Lamb Rump.

Both very satisfactory, well cooked, seasoned and presented and a nice red wine, I do like this restaurant but as I have stated previously it is in my view overpriced for what it is.

7/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, you're right, it's a pairing. Not sure why I wrote flight.

I'd expect a flight of something to be served together at one time, whereas with the pairing each drink is delivered at a particular time to be consumed alongside a specific dish.

Going back to your original post you make a good point about using it, or losing it. Jay Rayner has written some good pieces recently about this topic, and challenging common arguments about pricing in restaurants. I’ll see if I can dig them out.

Edit: here’s one

If you want to be able to eat out, you should fork out
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ner-eat-out-fork-out-cost-of-restaurant-meals

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thats my local but the last couple of times I've had it the fish has been a bit odd and 'grey' which put me off. But yes always remember the chips and curry sauce was bang on

You'll be upsetting the main contributors you do know that, I was waiting for [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] to reiterate the sheer quality of their sausage in batter that he kindly shared some time ago :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here