Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Dining Room (Worthing) - http://www.the-dining-room.co.uk/

I was a long-time fan of Crescent Road Cafe, which used to be in these premises, but I had been slightly put off visiting The Dining Room by their initial "Private Dining Club" type concept, but with that idea being withdrawn and having heard positive things, I decided to give it a go.

We went for their 7 course tasting menu @ £48 per head, which I complemented with the wine flight +£18 whilst Mrs B ploughed through a bottle of fizz.

I had the veggie version because I am, errr, veggie whilst across the table the fish options were also added.

We had a fantastic meal from beginning to end. The standouts for me were the first course - a Leek & Brighton Blue Tartlet and, although I've not got much of a sweet tooth, the pre-dessert with flavours of miso-caramel and banana, was exceptional. I finished with cheese which was a decent-sized portion and both my dining partner and the couple of the table adjoining ours were full of praise for the main dessert of a Pear frangipane tart, almond praline and a chocolate creme Angalise.

The success of the puds wasn't a massive surprise with the proprietors being behind the Vice Puddings venture also.

At the end of the meal we got talking to the Jon and Ro, the owners, and they're wonderful people working hard bringing something different to Worthing, and they deserve to succeed. I was aware of Jon from his efforts to get the Sundowners and Sunuppers events going through the Summer months in previous years - something else that deserves support. Worthing is never going to be Brighton, clearly, but those trying to drag up the culinary level of the town need people to use them or lose them.

I know they do pie nights and some sort of quiz night (where you get to eat the questions) - both of which I shall be looking to try out.
    £18 for the flight? Were they decent wines and did you get enough with each course as that is the cheapest I have ever seen I think. Used to paying north of £30 paired with 3 courses

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by wakeytom View Post
      £18 for the flight? Were they decent wines and did you get enough with each course as that is the cheapest I have ever seen I think. Used to paying north of £30 paired with 3 courses
      Three glasses of wine and then a fourth, smaller, dessert wine. I enjoyed them.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      Three glasses of wine and then a fourth, smaller, dessert wine. I enjoyed them.
      That sounds very reasonable
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      NSC is a constant source of education. I'd never heard of a 'wine flight' before.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Strictly not a restaurant but a takeaway.

Trawlerman in Manor Parade, Worthing has been there for as long as I can remember. It was recently taken over by the former chef of the Egremont and re-opened as a more 'modern' Fish & Chip shop. Not a massive Fish & Chip fan but ended up having it on Friday.

Thought it was brilliant, clearly fresh fish and not frozen. The Cod was very meaty, and had a lovely white milky texture. Well cooked in a good batter. Proper fish and chip shop chips too well cooked, fluffy and crispy on the outside. There was a 25min wait and they were rushed off their feet which is a good sign. Definitely better than your average Fish & Chip shop.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Springal View Post
      Trawlerman in Manor Parade, Worthing has been there for as long as I can remember.
      Me too! Best part of 35 years ago it was out stopping off point for dinner on the way back home from swimming lessons at the Gateway Building Society (later Woolwich Building Society) pool. Cod Roe and chips and home just in time for Question of Sport (Emlyn Hughes and Bill Beaumont era).

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      I find the food in La Galleria to be just tipping below average and the service absolutely appalling verging on rude. Asked for a bread basket and got served a whole, uncut ,cold baguette on a cold side plate. When we asked what it was meant to be he came to our table with a bread knife and cut it up in front of us and said "it is now sliced".
      We stood up there and then and walked out.
      La Galleria is generally regarded as something of a shit hole by Shorehamites.
      Try The slate. Mixed reviews and the owner is an utter **** but when they get it right it's great. Service is amazing.
      we refused to go back to La Galleria when they gave us a really shit takeaway. Their attitude when I was ordering was as though I was asking if I could kill their kids. They seemed to take it as a personal attack of them that I just wanted to take the food home instead of eating in (we lived about 2 minutes away and it was a service they provided). What we received was an overcooked, chewy pizza and a lasagna that they'd obviously got out of the back of the freezer and hadn't reheated fully. We were both ill so didn't have the energy to complain but we never went back and told as many people as we could about it. We had eaten in before and found it fine, but unspectacular....couldn't be arsed with it again

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      NSC is a constant source of education. I'd never heard of a 'wine flight' before.
      You’ve heard of beer flights right?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      No, no I haven't.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      A load of Chinese chavs on West Street beating shit out of each other after too much booze ?
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."