Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes thats the place, I have never had a bad steak there nor at Buon Appetitto in Burgess Hill. The best in the area IMHO was The Jolly Tanners in Staplefields but it changed hands and their food went down hill rapidly concentrating more on beer festivals etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes thats the place, I have never had a bad steak there nor at Buon Appetitto in Burgess Hill

Fair play but I wouldn’t go to a pasta/pizza place for a steak anyway. BA does really good Italian food.

The steaks at the Acorn in BH are ok for a chain in my experience but you really need to get out of town for anything decent. The steakhouse on Mill Road was ok when it actually had anything in stock but was so hit and miss it was laughable. Not surprised it bombed.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lunch at Michael Bremner (64 degrees)'s beachfront gaff Murmur last week was, well, uninspiring.

Set menu of three courses for 20 quid is decent value on he face of. Started with fishcakes, then onto whole plaice and chips and then what was called a cream puff or summat.

The starter was small and the fishcakes could well have had no fish in them to be honest, as I certainly couldn't taste it. Underseasoned.
Whole plaice was alright, but it should be. Chips alright, salad pointless.
Now the worst of it. If you're going to call something a 'puff' you've got to ensure it's light, not dried our dodgy pastrywork.

There are MUCH better set menus/lunches in this town to spend a score on at Salt Room, Coal Shed, Chilli Pickle, Cin Cin, any of the new pizzerias and many others. Disappointing. Having a value menu does not mean standards should slip. I'm sure there's better cooking to be had at the place but I won't rush back to try it.

Service is decent and the house white (20 quid a bottle) is okay mind you.

5/10, just.

Jul 7, 2003
A word for Ami Bistro in Rowlands Road, Worthing. Doesn't look much from the outside and was quiet when our group dined last week, but the food is sensational and the service friendly and efficient.

Have looked at it a few times and always seems to get good TA reviews but for some reason had never been before last night. Menu is fairly short but plenty of variety so something for most tastes including those who like their food with a (v) or (vg) suffix.

Although not a vegetarian, Mrs DSCH had veggie dishes for both starter and main. She started with the potato cakes - Spiced chickpea and potato cakes, crisp bhaaji bits and homemade mango chutney which was nicely balanced with a good spicy kick. For main she had the red lentil dahl - Spiced red lentil dahl, saffron potatoes, cumin roasted cauliflower, tomato and coriander purée and toasted coconut shavings. Again, great flavours and spice and a good portion size - not too big, not too small.

I went for the Asian glazed pork starter - Pulled pork in homemade barbecue sauce, sticky glazed ribs and bacon popcorn. The meat was very tasty but the surprise was the popcorn. I hate popcorn but this bacon popcorn didn't taste like normal popcorn and was a great texture to go with the pork. For main I had a ribeye steak - perfectly cooked - with buttered spinach, vine tomatoes and a side of sugar snap peas in shallots and bacon. The steak was advertised as coming with wedges but in reality these were like proper old fashioned thick chips, crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. I had the steak with a jerk ketchup that had a lovely kick as it hit the back of the throat without being too over powering.

The food was all very nicely presented, the service was great and with drinks the bill came it at less than £60 for both of us. They launch their new menu in a couple of weeks and we will definitely be going back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tried it just recently, so disappointed.

Thanks and unfortunate for you but heard some every poor reviews on Miller & Carter so not going.

Trip to the Ivy in the Laines next weekend, will post a review.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lunch at Michael Bremner (64 degrees)'s beachfront gaff Murmur last week was, well, uninspiring.

Set menu of three courses for 20 quid is decent value on he face of. Started with fishcakes, then onto whole plaice and chips and then what was called a cream puff or summat.

The starter was small and the fishcakes could well have had no fish in them to be honest, as I certainly couldn't taste it. Underseasoned.
Whole plaice was alright, but it should be. Chips alright, salad pointless.
Now the worst of it. If you're going to call something a 'puff' you've got to ensure it's light, not dried our dodgy pastrywork.

There are MUCH better set menus/lunches in this town to spend a score on at Salt Room, Coal Shed, Chilli Pickle, Cin Cin, any of the new pizzerias and many others. Disappointing. Having a value menu does not mean standards should slip. I'm sure there's better cooking to be had at the place but I won't rush back to try it.

Service is decent and the house white (20 quid a bottle) is okay mind you.

5/10, just.

At £20 for three courses?! I'm not surprised it was t very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks and unfortunate for you but heard some every poor reviews on Miller & Carter so not going.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on The Ivy. It looks a bit fur-coat-no-knickers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be interested to hear your thoughts on The Ivy. It looks a bit fur-coat-no-knickers.

It does a bit, having studied the menu several times it is a bit over egged and confused in my view however I will reserve judgement till after the meal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

When you go to Ivy please tip your waiter discreetly in cash as the staff don't get their tips otherwise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When you go to Ivy please tip your waiter discreetly in cash as the staff don't get their tips otherwise.

Good tip, if you will excuse the pun - will do

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is the Ivy connected to the famous one in London, so popular with the luvvies?

Kind of. This is a more accessible chain off-shoot based on the original.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is the Ivy connected to the famous one in London, so popular with the luvvies?

Yeah except it's a scale down down version so it's full of lottery winners and chavvy blokes trying to impress on first dates. And as I say, staff don't get tips.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Ivy were hanging about outside Moshimo at end of shift trying to poach staff before they opened. Tossers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Ivy were hanging about outside Moshimo at end of shift trying to poach staff before they opened. Tossers.

Yep, and apparently they (the ivy) can't retain staff now as they are treated so poorly. Only been open a month or so and staff are abandoning the place.
To me it looks like a tacky place and I wouldn't eat there on principal because of the way they treat staff.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah except it's a scale down down version so it's full of lottery winners and chavvy blokes trying to impress on first dates. And as I say, staff don't get tips.

Really, this is a 28th Wedding Anniversary meal, I hope I still don't need to impress

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here