Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Isn't the point that the chains are at least encouraging people that otherwise wouldn't eat out to eat out, I dont think they are stealing likely foodies more encouraging future ones, children are now used to going to restaurants at a very young age usually chains, even my son's who are in their early 20's tend to go out for a meal to meet up with their friends, me at their age would be getting wasted at Swifts and perhaps a gutbuster later, there is a culture shift here in the UK which if restaurants are your thing then it's going your way.

Chains seem generally accessible, usually cheap and you tend to get something that is tasty enough, as for the business models, well that'll sort itself out.

I’d agree that the chains aren’t stealing foodies. I’m not sure about whether they are encouraging future ones. I think it’s more likely that they are dissuading folk from trying good independent places - “Well, that wasn't great, was it? With a modicum of effort I could do that. Hmm, it’s rated better than the independent place anyway. Let’s not bother” is more the reaction I fear.

It’s difficult to really know but I’m sure some future foodies are being created. What also helps is the fact that being a chef is now seen as a proper, creative, talented and respected profession. There’s even an element of “rock n roll” and edge to cooking these days. This was never the case before. This helps more folk get into the profession and the scene and make it more attractive to consumers.

That said. There are still some who just don’t like the risk of the unknown and feel more comfortable in a chain. I find this disappointing as there are so many wonderful places out there. I guess we’re all different.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have to be at least a bit of a foodie to read a review by a pro critic; even more of a foodie to read a review by an amateur blogger. I would guess that most folks’ go-to reference point is TripAdvisor (if indeed they look for a review anywhere).

TripAdvisor currently has St John at #1334 best restaurant in London, whereas the St Giles branch of Zizzi is rated #154.

I don’t remember ever reading a review of Zizzi by either a pro critic or a blogger. I’d be willing to bet that none would rate Zizzi higher than St John!

TA is encouraging a race to the bottom, and provides justification for those people who revel in saying that chains provide better food than independents. Complete and utter bollocks, of course... “but look at TA”, they say.

That St John rating is all you need to know. That’s absurd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m now feeling hungry. Thankfully it’s my favourite burger joint tonight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Big Mac or the humble double cheeseburger?

When it comes to the big chains I like a Whopper. And I mean this sincerely and not in a comedic Ernest way.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Lanzhou Noodles, cranbourne street (Leicester Square)

Hand-pulled (ooh Matron) noodle soup. Decent broth, good noodles, reasonable meat content. 2*soup, 4 skewers, chicken fried rice, 2 soft drinks (unlicensed) - £28. Left stuffed and content. 8/10.
I love Lanzhou noodles, absolutely love them!

My favorite Chinese food is Sichuan, and a trip to Chengdu or Chongqing is right on my radar. Thanks for reminding me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It’s difficult to really know but I’m sure some future foodies are being created. What also helps is the fact that being a chef is now seen as a proper, creative, talented and respected profession. There’s even an element of “rock n roll” and edge to cooking these days. This was never the case before. This helps more folk get into the profession and the scene and make it more attractive to consumers.

That said. There are still some who just don’t like the risk of the unknown and feel more comfortable in a chain. I find this disappointing as there are so many wonderful places out there. I guess we’re all different.

That chef + rock 'n' roll association evolved out of MPW, and was documented by Anthony Bourdain. Around the same time, Shaun Hill, now of the excellent Walnut Tree Inn, published a book listing the downsides of being a chef, including extremely long hours, spent predominantly on your feet, etc, etc.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Interesting perspectives as always.
I admit I have a vested interest being at the coalface of a small independent bistro, but every £20 people spend in Jamie's or ASK or Cote, they're not spending it with me. Sometimes the food is alright, sometimes it's little more than a expensive ready meal, and there will be little creativity or spontaneity. Independents often use other independents too - all our suppliers are found within a 20 mile radius - so the money stays in a big communal pot.
A chef's lot has improved these days. With the cultural shift in eating out previously mentioned, there are more jobs then chefs, certainly in the South East, so conditions are far more favourable. Displaying a little talent will go a long way, and be suitably rewarded.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Has Pascere been covered at all on here? I don't recall reading a mention >>> https://www.pascere.co.uk/

After a glowing Guardian review (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...e-brighton-restaurant-review-marina-oloughlin) last year, Giles Coren gave it another massive thumbs up in The Sunday Times today.

[tweet]964793314108157952[/tweet]

It's high up on my list now.

I went for a work thing & the fact that I booked to go back with the Mrs as I was leaving tells a story...

Very good indeed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting perspectives as always.
I admit I have a vested interest being at the coalface of a small independent bistro, but every £20 people spend in Jamie's or ASK or Cote, they're not spending it with me. Sometimes the food is alright, sometimes it's little more than a expensive ready meal, and there will be little creativity or spontaneity. Independents often use other independents too - all our suppliers are found within a 20 mile radius - so the money stays in a big communal pot.
A chef's lot has improved these days. With the cultural shift in eating out previously mentioned, there are more jobs then chefs, certainly in the South East, so conditions are far more favourable. Displaying a little talent will go a long way, and be suitably rewarded.

As a generalisation, independents do better quality and better value food and are more interesting. What the chains have is reliability and recognition. I'm no corporate champion, but I do think they've played a role in encouraging more to eat it, and to help drive up standards. Eating out in Britain is now so much better than it was a few decades back. In my view, Brighton has really come on over the past 5-10 years, whereas it was pretty drab before that. I'd now much rather eat out in Britain, than in France, which is resting on its laurels, and just has too many average to poor joints, most of which are independents.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That chef + rock 'n' roll association evolved out of MPW, and was documented by Anthony Bourdain. Around the same time, Shaun Hill, now of the excellent Walnut Tree Inn, published a book listing the downsides of being a chef, including extremely long hours, spent predominantly on your feet, etc, etc.

Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential remains one of my favourite books ever on any subject. Certainly he hypes up the rockstar bit but he's also very honest about the hours and creativity needed to succeed - and what happens if you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'd now much rather eat out in Britain, than in France, which is resting on its laurels, and just has too many average to poor joints, most of which are independents.

Me too. In fact I'd much rather eat out in Brighton than France. Ironically (for this thread today) I said so in the trip advisor review of the "best" restaurant in the town in the Loire my Dad's retired to - awful snobby service, poor cooking, far too rich and whipped out from under a cloche. Ugh.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential remains one of my favourite books ever on any subject. Certainly he hypes up the rockstar bit but he's also very honest about the hours and creativity needed to succeed - and what happens if you don't.

Try The Walnut Tree would be my tip, if you're ever in the vicinity and can fit in a meal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a generalisation, independents do better quality and better value food and are more interesting. What the chains have is reliability and recognition. I'm no corporate champion, but I do think they've played a role in encouraging more to eat it, and to help drive up standards. Eating out in Britain is now so much better than it was a few decades back. In my view, Brighton has really come on over the past 5-10 years, whereas it was pretty drab before that. I'd now much rather eat out in Britain, than in France, which is resting on its laurels, and just has too many average to poor joints, most of which are independents.

I’ve travelled to many cities and London is by far the best for food (although my favorite restaurant is outside of London). It’s all there, and with very high standards. And Jay Rayner has made and interesting case for their being better Italian restaurants in London than there are in Italy these days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Try The Walnut Tree would be my tip, if you're ever in the vicinity and can fit in a meal.

I'd not heard of it and Googled it. Imagine my delight when it came up as being between Uxbridge and Reading. I sometimes work in Uxbridge and have friends in Berkshire. A quick look at the actual place though and it was clear you meant somewhere else, and the Google search had been directed to a location I'm often in :lolol:

So then I got the right one. Looks right up my street should I ever be in Wales. I might just make a reason. I hadn't realised Shaun Hill had got Gidleigh Park its star. That's one heck of a claim to fame.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In these post-KFC dog-days, us fast-foodies need a new fix in town. Step forward Taco Bell. Conveniently situated halfway along a pub-crawl of the many so-so pubs of Western Road, TB shone out like a veritable beacon of tasty possibilities. Small, buzzing, seemingly chaotic, it works remarkably well. OK, it's fast food by numbers, seemingly based on the service strategy perfected by Argos. You order your order, receive an oversized receipt with your itemised items and your order number circled. Your order number appears on a big screen and gets announced also. It's very fast, very efficient. I ordered the Volcano Burrito (£3.59), my companion - OK, drinking buddy if you must - ordered the Spicy Chicken Griller (£1.99). A small fridge of bottled drinks, including bottles of Sol, was available. Our order came with a randomly-supplied clean and empty Coke cup, courtesy of a new trainee server, who encouraged us to help ourselves from the unguarded soft drink dispenser on the wall. All-you-can-drink presumably, tho sadly we could drink none of it and Coke cup went straight to landfill. And how was the food? Well, we cut the Volcano Burrito and the Spicy Chicken Griller in half, and had a half'n'half scoff for purposes of compare and contrast. We both agreed that we could taste absolutely no difference between the two and that both absolutely hit the spot. Especially the jalapenos.

Marks out of ten, right there right then? Nine, ten, a big fat HEN :thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A few years ago (well, ok, a good few years ago) I had an amazing Persian (as it was then) meal in a restaurant in the Ladbrook Grove, Notting Hill Gate area. I know there are several Persian/Iranian restaurants in Brighton/Hove but are any of them any good and failing that has anyone got any recommendations further afield?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In these post-KFC dog-days, us fast-foodies need a new fix in town. Step forward Taco Bell. Conveniently situated halfway along a pub-crawl of the many so-so pubs of Western Road, TB shone out like a veritable beacon of tasty possibilities. Small, buzzing, seemingly chaotic, it works remarkably well. OK, it's fast food by numbers, seemingly based on the service strategy perfected by Argos. You order your order, receive an oversized receipt with your itemised items and your order number circled. Your order number appears on a big screen and gets announced also. It's very fast, very efficient. I ordered the Volcano Burrito (£3.59), my companion - OK, drinking buddy if you must - ordered the Spicy Chicken Griller (£1.99). A small fridge of bottled drinks, including bottles of Sol, was available. Our order came with a randomly-supplied clean and empty Coke cup, courtesy of a new trainee server, who encouraged us to help ourselves from the unguarded soft drink dispenser on the wall. All-you-can-drink presumably, tho sadly we could drink none of it and Coke cup went straight to landfill. And how was the food? Well, we cut the Volcano Burrito and the Spicy Chicken Griller in half, and had a half'n'half scoff for purposes of compare and contrast. We both agreed that we could taste absolutely no difference between the two and that both absolutely hit the spot. Especially the jalapenos.

Marks out of ten, right there right then? Nine, ten, a big fat HEN :thumbsup:

I have to admit that l didn't realise Taco Bell had made it to this side of the pond. Massive in the states for many years of course. I'll have to check it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here