Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 487

Thread: Restaurant 2018

  1. #331
    Members
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hanover/Elm Grove
    Posts
    8,359


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point. The restaurant in question is high-end and only has a set tasting menu dinner service. It now charges more for popular days. I’ve not come across this particular scenario before.
    I'm not so sure why this is so surprising, even if it is new. While it might be a recent development in terms of weekends versus weekdays, it has been pretty much standard practice in terms of lunch versus dinner. I suspect we'll see more of this in the future.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #332
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
      Posts
      13,435


      0 Not allowed!
      Moving away from the tips binfest for a sec, I have just booked Little Fish Market for Mrs GB’s birthday next week. Should I be excited? Never been but always felt it’s one to tick off....


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brighton But Only At Home

      It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
    • #333
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      6,725


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I kinda know that, but there will be many variable costs that effect that restaurants profitability, I would prefer a business to disolve those costs/losses into the overall consequence of running that enterprise, whether its on increased menu prices or other savings somewhere else.

      I suspect there would be many examples of how one 'type' of group is less profitable than another, it seems a clumsy way of profiling a group as a burden rather than to appreciate their patronage, especially when many groups do not accept its merits anyway.
      Basically it is done because large groups take up a lot of space in restaurants and they take a lot of time. Which is no problem. But they typically tip a lot less. When a large group gets their LARGE bill they tend to balk at paying much extra for tips. They have taken up space that a few smaller, better tipping tables could have used and because they tend to be there longer the small tips trickle down through the entire staff.

      Of course you can argue that they spend more anyway but that is why they add service charge. It's all to do with tips. It's down to the individual whether they agree with it or not but that's the reason. No lie.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #334

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Moving away from the tips binfest for a sec, I have just booked Little Fish Market for Mrs GB’s birthday next week. Should I be excited? Never been but always felt it’s one to tick off....


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I think it’s great. Certainly the service won’t let you down. He just got rather higher than the hand and flowers so must be going the right way.
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
    • #335
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Hassocks
      Posts
      1,044


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Moving away from the tips binfest for a sec, I have just booked Little Fish Market for Mrs GB’s birthday next week. Should I be excited? Never been but always felt it’s one to tick off....
      We were there a few weeks ago and thought it was exceptional. We had the wine menu which made it very expensive. Every dish inc the snacks served at the start of the meal were superb, service equally so. Duncan came up from the kitchen at the end of the evening to chat with each table and his passion for his food was very evident. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
    • #336
      Members wakeytom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      The Hacienda
      Posts
      2,553


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I see your point. The restaurant in question is high-end and only has a set tasting menu dinner service. It now charges more for popular days. I’ve not come across this particular scenario before.
      I think its becoming more common. Same as michelin restaurants will often do a lunchtime set but only a la carte in the evening/weekends
    • #337
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      7,100


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Basically it is done because large groups take up a lot of space in restaurants and they take a lot of time. Which is no problem. But they typically tip a lot less. When a large group gets their LARGE bill they tend to balk at paying much extra for tips. They have taken up space that a few smaller, better tipping tables could have used and because they tend to be there longer the small tips trickle down through the entire staff.

      Of course you can argue that they spend more anyway but that is why they add service charge. It's all to do with tips. It's down to the individual whether they agree with it or not but that's the reason. No lie.
      You still havent convinced me

      I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.

      It shouldn't be for me to directly shoulder the costs for the underpaid dishwasher, waiter or soux chef above what they said we would pay on entering their premises, why would a business wish to burden their own customers with a plea for 'added payment' to cover costs that they themselves haven't done ?

      For the record I do pay tips and rarely based on the service provided, usually 10%+ on top of the final bill no matter what, but just being culturally programmed to do so doesnt stop me thinking how illogical it is.
    • #338
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Posts
      9,990


      0 Not allowed!
      7 Bone Church Road.

      I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

      I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

      8/10.
    • #339
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Posts
      1,683


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      7 Bone Church Road.

      I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

      I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

      8/10.
      I agree especially regarding the wings, fantastic food at a very good price.
    • #340
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      BN1
      Posts
      53,600


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You still havent convinced me

      I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.
      Having a few times booked a table for 2-4 people at a restaurant and found myself sharing a restaurant with a large group booking, my heart always sinks when this happens. Catering for a large group is invariably - or at least in my experience - detrimental to the dining experience of the other diners in terms of service and general ambience. Or have I just been unlucky on multiple occasions?
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •