Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2532333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 410

Thread: Restaurant 2018

  1. #341
    Members The Spanish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    P
    Posts
    6,406


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Ivy In The Lanes

    Pre-booked (required I believe) and a latent wedding anniversary meal as we were away that week.

    Nicely set up restaurant, bit Arty Deco type theme but nice ambience, huge bar in the middle and for Mrs Hut a first ever return to where she worked originally when at post office counters no less.

    Starters - me Crispy Duck Salad and the better half Asparagus with truffle holandaise, duck a tad crispy but nice salad and well presented and the review on the asparagus was very good, nice sauce etc.

    Mains - Mrs had steak, eggs and chips and myself munkfish and prawn curry. Again both well cooked, seasoned etc very presentable and all washed down with a very decent red.

    12.5% service charge added, more than usually pay but it was good, well presented food.

    Some comments, to me a little to pretentious and trying too hard to be a top class service but the food is definitely not matching the service. Now this is not to demean the meals in anyway - they were good and very tasty but not sure why the requirement for the impression of total top class dining when the food is not that standard. Put it this way that restaurant I reviewed earlier on the sea front is around the same price but infinitely better by a country mile.
    these Ivy franchises are safe pairs of hands, it's just browns all over again really isnt it. Will rapidly lose cachet as they spread to the provinces, once there is one down the marina or bluewater then its game over. Had lunch in Broadwick Street one the other day and its fantastic value for the location.
    Pig City

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #342
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      7,002


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Having a few times booked a table for 2-4 people at a restaurant and found myself sharing a restaurant with a large group booking, my heart always sinks when this happens. Catering for a large group is invariably - or at least in my experience - detrimental to the dining experience of the other diners in terms of service and general ambience. Or have I just been unlucky on multiple occasions?
      That's slightly different, preferences on where and how you like to dine is a different to the logic of having to pay extra to be catered for in a larger group.

      Although I get your point, I don't think restaurants have ever cited that as the reason why some impose an extra charge.
    • #343
    • #344

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's slightly different, preferences on where and how you like to dine is a different to the logic of having to pay extra to be catered for in a larger group.

      Although I get your point, I don't think restaurants have ever cited that as the reason why some impose an extra charge.
      But you're not really paying extra - you are just having the tip that you have already said you would have left formalised. You are only paying extra if you don't usually leave a decent tip.

      As Clamp said, this is about protecting waitstaff's income when the risk of low/no tip is not sufficiently spread.
    • #345
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      7,002


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by McTavish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      But you're not really paying extra - you are just having the tip that you have already said you would have left formalised. You are only paying extra if you don't usually leave a decent tip.

      As Clamp said, this is about protecting waitstaff's income when the risk of low/no tip is not sufficiently spread.
      My broader point is that it is the owners responsibility to protect waitstaff's income not an undetermined future customer, why should a waiter's income need protecting by a voluntray contribution offered by a customer, a vague amount (that might be high/low/average) that is largely based on a % of the cost of the meal that doesn't necessarily reflect the service delivered anyway, it doesn't seem a very good way of protecting anything.

      As for the formalisation of the prescribed tip within a group, if it isnt 'extra' as this is what would be given anyway, why does it need formalising in the first place.

      My point isnt 'anti' waitstaff quite the opposite, it just seems a culturally embedding practice that doesnt seem to make much sense.
    • #346
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      20,315


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      7 Bone Church Road.

      I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

      I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

      8/10.
      Excellent burgers, and love the chilli cheese fries too......not been to this one but there is one in Eastbourne.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
    • #347
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      5,910


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You still havent convinced me

      I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.

      It shouldn't be for me to directly shoulder the costs for the underpaid dishwasher, waiter or soux chef above what they said we would pay on entering their premises, why would a business wish to burden their own customers with a plea for 'added payment' to cover costs that they themselves haven't done ?

      For the record I do pay tips and rarely based on the service provided, usually 10%+ on top of the final bill no matter what, but just being culturally programmed to do so doesnt stop me thinking how illogical it is.
      Doesn't matter if you're convinced or not, it's the reason why they do it.
      Nearly.
    • #348
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      42,753


      0 Not allowed!
      Not only is it a busy day in the football world it’s also the Frau’s birthday. Tonight I shall be squeezing into my single pair of trousers, putting on the pointy shoes, a shirt and taking her to https://www.facil.de/en/ for an evening of the tasting menu and wine pairing. I’ll report back tomorrow but I’m looking forward to this.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #349

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My broader point is that it is the owners responsibility to protect waitstaff's income not an undetermined future customer, why should a waiter's income need protecting by a voluntray contribution offered by a customer, a vague amount (that might be high/low/average) that is largely based on a % of the cost of the meal that doesn't necessarily reflect the service delivered anyway, it doesn't seem a very good way of protecting anything.
      But whilst people continue to tip then the tips become an expected part of a waiter's income. What the service charge for large groups does is precisely what you are saying - it is the owner putting in a mechanism to stop the waitstaff's income from being at the whim of the customer. One alternative is to have a service charge on all tables which creates its own problems.

      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As for the formalisation of the prescribed tip within a group, if it isnt 'extra' as this is what would be given anyway, why does it need formalising in the first place.
      I was using "you" previously to mean you, BigGully, in particular. As most people who work in restaurants will tell you, large tables tend to under tip or not tip at all for a number of reasons and it is for this that the formalisation is seen as necessary.

      Quote Originally Posted by BigGully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My point isnt 'anti' waitstaff quite the opposite, it just seems a culturally embedding practice that doesnt seem to make much sense.
      I don't disagree with this but part of the problem is that tipping is not sufficiently or consistently culturally embedded. If everyone knew and accepted when and what that they should tip then there would be fewer problems but whilst that is not the case it does not seem fair to have someone's livelihood dependent on the whim of a customer and saying that restaurateurs should pay more and that tips should be a genuine extra is not economically realistic and would result in customers paying even more (the money for the extra wages has to come from somewhere.) Service charge on all bills deals with this but throws up a whole lot of other problems.

      In many ways, the best thing would be for all service to be explicitly included in the price of the food and drink and for tipping not to be generally practised. This would mean that restaurateurs could pay staff properly and treat them as professionals, not have to worry about accounting for tips or service charge. The main drawback is that prices would be 10-15% higher than the place next door which either doesn't include service or has a service charge.
    • #350
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      66,002


      0 Not allowed!
      I would have no problem with a restaurant displaying the notice on the menu of A service charge of 10% will be added to all bills should you feel that your service etc didnt warrant that please advise the management and remove it from your payment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •