Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fully accept that but on many instances most tables will be couples so a table of 8 or 10 is a bonus. Obviously not every time but i am sure on many.
    Why is one 8 better than four couples ?
    "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      However good a restaurant may be, (and your review of the Ivy does look very good), the sheer mention of the establishment imposing a 12.5% service charge. is enough to put me off completely.

Why oh why do restaurants feel the need to do this? In my case at least, if the service really is very good then l will willingly pay extra for it, and probably more than 12.5%!

They really are shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion.
      Coupled with the fact the staff don't get the tips, it's pretty crass.
      Nearly.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Agree about tips. Will not return to any restaurant that adds 121/2 %

0 Not allowed!
      Quick bite in Cury Leaf Cafe's Kemptown Kitchen on Saturday evening.

It was pretty good to be fair. Highlights were an excellent paneer curry and some really good and spicy chicken wings. Lots of street food style dishes and you can order all the curries in large or small so you can have a variety if you like. We had five dishes, a rice and a naan and a bottle of the house white, which was Indian, and it was plenty of food. 60 quid including tip. Worth a visit of you are in the area for sure.

7/10
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Why is one 8 better than four couples ?
      It isnt so why add 10% service to the bill for that party which is my argument against the practice

1 Not allowed!
      It isnt so why add 10% service to the bill for that party which is my argument against the practice
      Because in places without a service charge the waiters depend on tips for a good part of their income. If a waiter serves 4 couples it is unlikely that more than one or two will leave very low tips or not tip at all and there is a good chance that one or two tables will leave a larger tip than expected so the risk is spread. With a party of eight, the waiter will have done the same amount of work but there is much more risk that he/she will get nothing or a derisory amount so the service charge is there to remove this risk.
      Chocolate Monk

1 Not allowed!
      Because it is that much more difficult and time consuming to cook, plate and serve 8 plates of food at one time than it is to do 2, and whilst doing that you are also potentially negatively impacting the service provided to others. Not saying that I agree with it and all service charges should be discretionary anyway but I can understand why its done.
      My uncle was born in America.
      But he was one of the lucky ones. He managed to escape in a balloon during the Jimmy Carter presidency.

0 Not allowed!
      I’m not overly bothered about restaurants adding a discretionary tip, you can always decline. I am bothered by restaurants abusing tips by either including them in wages or whatever. I’ll avoid any places I know this happens.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Be interested to hear your thoughts on The Ivy. It looks a bit fur-coat-no-knickers.
      I went yesterday and the highlight by a mile was sitting next to GM getting the obligatory photo's and a brief chat

It's a place to see and be seen for sure. Very nifty decor and they (attempt to) treat you as a bit special but it all falls very flat. In saying that our waiter was terrific and very attentive. But the rest of front house were miserable, consumed by their own importance and trying to look busy when they weren't.

Trying to fill a wine glass with half a bottle is a big 'no no' in my book ... also having ordered 2 G&T's to get going why start pouring the white wine at the same time?

Me: Tempura Prawns (very nice) fish and chips (poncy presentation and soggy batter)
      Mrs: Mozzarella and Peach (OK) Crab Linguine (with virtually no crab)

Prices OK (ish) ... bottle of £14 NZ Sauvignon for £40 is at limit though

Nice touch at end being given a small tart with Happy Birthday on it ... except it was our anniversary

I wont be rushing back but see why it will do well
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by JJ McClure View Post
      Because it is that much more difficult and time consuming to cook, plate and serve 8 plates of food at one time than it is to do 2, and whilst doing that you are also potentially negatively impacting the service provided to others. Not saying that I agree with it and all service charges should be discretionary anyway but I can understand why its done.
      I dont entirely agree.

If your business is to serve food then you have a duty to have appropriate numbers of staff and the necessary procedures in place to reasonably fulfill that demand, it seems a strange mentality to 'pre-tax' a more profitable group of customers ahead of a lesser group, surely the aim would be to just serve them both equally without highliting your inability or unwillingness to be serving a slightly larger group.

If you have a restaurant with thirty covers and that capacity is regularly used then deal with it and celebrate your popularity and its likely profitability, if you are running below capacity then be pleased a group of eight has chosen to significantly increase your usual customer count.

It suggest to me a culture where someone somewhere implemented the charge and offered a pretty damn weak reason for it and it has somehow stuck.
      Last edited by BigGully; 13-06-2018 at 10:53.