Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

Restaurant 2018

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPERS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lunch at Michael Bremner (64 degrees)'s beachfront gaff Murmur last week was, well, uninspiring.

Set menu of three courses for 20 quid is decent value on he face of. Started with fishcakes, then onto whole plaice and chips and then what was called a cream puff or summat.

The starter was small and the fishcakes could well have had no fish in them to be honest, as I certainly couldn't taste it. Underseasoned.
    Whole plaice was alright, but it should be. Chips alright, salad pointless.
    Now the worst of it. If you're going to call something a 'puff' you've got to ensure it's light, not dried our dodgy pastrywork.

There are MUCH better set menus/lunches in this town to spend a score on at Salt Room, Coal Shed, Chilli Pickle, Cin Cin, any of the new pizzerias and many others. Disappointing. Having a value menu does not mean standards should slip. I'm sure there's better cooking to be had at the place but I won't rush back to try it.

Service is decent and the house white (20 quid a bottle) is okay mind you.

5/10, just.
    Family lunch for 7 of us today at Murmur. No set menu and a couple of Chenin Blancs from the main list so it wasn’t as cheap but our 2 kids ate free so it was good value. Starter of beef carpaccio for me was bloody excellent, full of flavour and could have cut it with a spoon. Trout dish for main was well balanced with a great butter sauce. If you’re going to call it seared, though, don’t cook it so much. TBH it was really nicely cooked and flaked off the fork but it wasn’t seared.

Maybe it was because we had a very long lunch in the sun after I’d done a 10k race or maybe it was just because we’ve been a few times and they really looked after us, but I found it pretty good, more of an 8 than a 5.

I’d say order off the main menu though. And it’s much more set up for families than couples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Really, this is a 28th Wedding Anniversary meal, I hope I still don't need to impress
      Ha! I'm being harsh, I'm sure it will be good and a memorable evening. Or...have you won the lottery? Happy Anniversary and enjoy!
      Nearly.

0 Not allowed!
      The Ivy In The Lanes

Pre-booked (required I believe) and a latent wedding anniversary meal as we were away that week.

Nicely set up restaurant, bit Arty Deco type theme but nice ambience, huge bar in the middle and for Mrs Hut a first ever return to where she worked originally when at post office counters no less.

Starters - me Crispy Duck Salad and the better half Asparagus with truffle holandaise, duck a tad crispy but nice salad and well presented and the review on the asparagus was very good, nice sauce etc.

Mains - Mrs had steak, eggs and chips and myself munkfish and prawn curry. Again both well cooked, seasoned etc very presentable and all washed down with a very decent red.

12.5% service charge added, more than usually pay but it was good, well presented food.

Some comments, to me a little to pretentious and trying too hard to be a top class service but the food is definitely not matching the service. Now this is not to demean the meals in anyway - they were good and very tasty but not sure why the requirement for the impression of total top class dining when the food is not that standard. Put it this way that restaurant I reviewed earlier on the sea front is around the same price but infinitely better by a country mile.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Went to House a couple of weeks ago for the first time

-service a bit slow and slapdash but improved when what appeared to be the manger came in.....maybe we were a bit early
      -inside tables a bit uninspiring
      -menu good, but 2 of the limited starters and 2 mains were already ‘sold out’ (we were there at 6pm and it wasn’t busy)
      - the food we did get was really very good. Starters of either terrine or salmon and crab fishcakes were nicely presented and very tasty
      -mains were all good - bouillabaisse, fillet steak with black pudding, ribeye steak and fish and chips. All very well cooked and well presented.
      -wine list is ok, some good value choices by the glass
      -no desserts as we were stuffed, frankly

Worked out around £50/head, pretty decent value given the quality of food.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Really, this is a 28th Wedding Anniversary meal, I hope I still don't need to impress
      Congratulations!
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Congratulations!
      Thanks, read the review
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      The Ivy In The Lanes

Pre-booked (required I believe) and a latent wedding anniversary meal as we were away that week.

Nicely set up restaurant, bit Arty Deco type theme but nice ambience, huge bar in the middle and for Mrs Hut a first ever return to where she worked originally when at post office counters no less.

Starters - me Crispy Duck Salad and the better half Asparagus with truffle holandaise, duck a tad crispy but nice salad and well presented and the review on the asparagus was very good, nice sauce etc.

Mains - Mrs had steak, eggs and chips and myself munkfish and prawn curry. Again both well cooked, seasoned etc very presentable and all washed down with a very decent red.

12.5% service charge added, more than usually pay but it was good, well presented food.

Some comments, to me a little to pretentious and trying too hard to be a top class service but the food is definitely not matching the service. Now this is not to demean the meals in anyway - they were good and very tasty but not sure why the requirement for the impression of total top class dining when the food is not that standard. Put it this way that restaurant I reviewed earlier on the sea front is around the same price but infinitely better by a country mile.
      However good a restaurant may be, (and your review of the Ivy does look very good), the sheer mention of the establishment imposing a 12.5% service charge. is enough to put me off completely.

Why oh why do restaurants feel the need to do this? In my case at least, if the service really is very good then l will willingly pay extra for it, and probably more than 12.5%!

They really are shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      What I do not agree with is places that state 10% services added to parties of 6 or more, or similar do they not earn more from 8 covers than 4.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      What I do not agreewith is places that state 10% services added to parties of 6 or more, or similar do they not earn more from 8 covers than 4.
      Why would a table of 8 spend more than two tables of 4 necessarily?
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I fully accept that but on many instances most tables will be couples so a table of 8 or 10 is a bonus. Obviously not every time but i am sure on many.