Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“The beer snacks include ox cheek vindaloo samosas”

Wow. Cant think of many better 4 words to see together?

https://brigadierslondon.com

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yauatcha - Soho.

Went for dim sum yesterday. Meh. Beautifully presented, and ingredient quality was exemplary (massive single pieces of prawn in the har gau for example) but everything tasted so very bland. £120 for two, no alcohol.

A Wong remains my favourite dim sum place (and all round Chinese place along with Silk Road in Camberwell), but they’re not open on a Sunday. Best dim sum on a Sunday remains Pearl Liang (nr Paddington).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I was way out west at the weekend so wound up at Fior di Latte in Worthing. Excellent 'Fatto' fare at a very reasonable price.

They served up my 4yo daughter's kids pizza in the shape of a fish which she thought was the best thing in the whole world.

Highly recommended

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Fat Greek Taverna - Worthing

I believe this is a chain and boy do they live up to the reputation on the fat part - massive portions !

Party of 6 so 5 had starters which were very good mainly all had calamari.

Mains I had ribs, chips and big fat beans which was a huge portion I could not finish. Ribs and chips were really nicely cooked but the big fat beans rather a damp squib.

Reasonably priced and certainly good value, would recommend a re-visit.

Jul 7, 2003
The Fat Greek Taverna - Worthing

I believe this is a chain and boy do they live up to the reputation on the fat part - massive portions !

Party of 6 so 5 had starters which were very good mainly all had calamari.

Mains I had ribs, chips and big fat beans which was a huge portion I could not finish. Ribs and chips were really nicely cooked but the big fat beans rather a damp squib.

Reasonably priced and certainly good value, would recommend a re-visit.

Not a chain - just part of the Worthing based Proto group which owns The Fish Factory and Food restaurants. Was a bit hit and miss when it first opened but has improved. The lunchtime deals are good value.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not a chain - just part of the Worthing based Proto group which owns The Fish Factory and Food restaurants. Was a bit hit and miss when it first opened but has improved. The lunchtime deals are good value.

Thanks for that, Fish Factory next on the agenda

Jul 7, 2003
7 Bone Church Road.

I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

8/10.

Visited 7Bone as group earlier this week. Was a little disappointed to be honest. The burgers were okay, and the sides were large. Biggest complaint across the group thought was that lost of the food was very greasy. Pork rind starters were dripping in oil, the onion straws side similar. Doesn't take much to put food on a bit of kitchen roll before serving. Would give it 7/10

I would take Patty & Bun as a sit down burger place over this any day (unless you can get a seat in Burger Brothers).

On the subject of burgers, has anyone tried the Burger Menu in [MENTION=461]Mendoza[/MENTION] 's pub recently?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Ami Bistro in Worthing last night. This place has been around for a few years and seems fairly highly rated so gave it a go.

Menu is quite traditional English and good variety of meat & fish, with a focus on seasonal food. Some fairly 'basic' options such as House Burger & Crayfish Pasta to keep most people happy.

They do a very attractive set menu Mon-Thur 6pm-8pm which included 4 starters, 5-6 mains, 3 desserts as options - 2 for courses £15 or 3 courses £20. With starters ranging £5-£8 and Mains £12-16 definitely a big saving to be made.

We went Ala Carte and enjoyed a Smoked Salmon Pate & Deep Fried Brie to start, with me having a Ribeye, Rosemary Chips & Jerk Ketchup and the missus having Lamb Cutlets & a Lamb Meatball in a tomatoey sauce.

All cooked very well - you can tell it is all hand-made and executed well. I was surprised by the level of cooking. My steak was cooked perfectly Medium and was a good cut of meat, just the right amount of fat.

Was very surprised by how busy it was for a Monday night - must have been about 24-30 covers in. Will definitely go back

8/10

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to Ami Bistro in Worthing last night. This place has been around for a few years and seems fairly highly rated so gave it a go.

Menu is quite traditional English and good variety of meat & fish, with a focus on seasonal food. Some fairly 'basic' options such as House Burger & Crayfish Pasta to keep most people happy.

They do a very attractive set menu Mon-Thur 6pm-8pm which included 4 starters, 5-6 mains, 3 desserts as options - 2 for courses £15 or 3 courses £20. With starters ranging £5-£8 and Mains £12-16 definitely a big saving to be made.

We went Ala Carte and enjoyed a Smoked Salmon Pate & Deep Fried Brie to start, with me having a Ribeye, Rosemary Chips & Jerk Ketchup and the missus having Lamb Cutlets & a Lamb Meatball in a tomatoey sauce.

All cooked very well - you can tell it is all hand-made and executed well. I was surprised by the level of cooking. My steak was cooked perfectly Medium and was a good cut of meat, just the right amount of fat.

Was very surprised by how busy it was for a Monday night - must have been about 24-30 covers in. Will definitely go back

8/10

I hope it was made authentically by a real Jamaican.......

Maybe we should all start up an NSC themed bistro? A tasting menu that would feature a miniture guest pie with Harvey's jus, a gourmet burger served with craft beer and a course of jerk rice served with something explosive tasting in a flask.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I hope it was made authentically by a real Jamaican.......

Maybe we should all start up an NSC themed bistro? A tasting menu that would feature a miniture guest pie with Harvey's jus, a gourmet burger served with craft beer and a course of jerk rice served with something explosive tasting in a flask.

I can't confirm that an Italian grated the Parmesan either I am afraid!

Jul 7, 2003
Let's go for four reviews from the last few days for me.

Starting off with The Caxton Arms - landlord of course is [MENTION=461]Mendoza[/MENTION] formerly of NSC fame. I visited with some friends for a burger while we were out for a few beers. First of all, the beer in the Caxton is pretty crap but there is not much our Brett can do about that as it is a Shepherd Neame pub. The burger menu is a little more limited than shown online but we had a mixture of beef and chicken burgers. Beef burgers were 6oz and tasty - meaty and moist. Toppings were good and with a decent portion of chips to go with them we were all pretty full at the end. The jerk chicken burger was also a very large breast, perfectly cooked and well spiced. Would definitely eat there again but not a place to drink until the beer selection improves.

Following morning it was breakfast at The Orchard Café with the family. I reviewed this place a while ago and it is still great. I had the smaller two pancake American stack this time but it still came with
loads of bacon, nice breakfast sausages and an egg. Others enjoyed their breakfast and as always the tea is loose leaf and served from a teapot - all very good.

That night was a trip into London for a show so we wanted somewhere to eat for pre-theatre dinner near the wonderful tourist trap that is Covent Garden. Didn't really want anything too heavy (snoring through west end shows is frowned upon) so we chose Cantina Laredo in Upper St Martin Street. We were quickly seated and given bottled water to drink while we looked at the menus.

We shared the Guacamole de Piña as a starter - very fresh taste and the tortillas were very light. My wife chose the Enchiladas Rojas as a main course with a side of Mexican red rice. The tortillas were well filled and tasty. I had the Brochetas de Pollo - chicken skewers with a nice sweet glaze. Nothing special but tasty all the same. The Tacos de Pato con Mole were very nice - duck with a Nutella mole which had a nice kick - and the Brochetas de Arrachera which were also good. We finished with very nice churros which came with a chilli chocolate dip and a lovely strawberry cream dip.

We also had a couple of drinks each and the bill came to around £100 including service. The food was good, the service attentive but not overbearing and the value was reasonable for this part of London. Will definitely go back again when next up for a show.

Finally, visited Fiordilatte in Worthing last night as a large group for a celebration. Everyone who had the pizza really enjoyed their food. This place is still a little under the radar and I still wonder why people go to the Pizza Express a few doors down when the pizza here is far superior and much cheaper. Only minor disappointment for a couple of our group was that there was no lasagne left. However, even that is seen as a bit of a positive as we were told it is not something that comes out the microwave but is made fresh every day. We finished with some very nice gelato.

After three days of eating out, time to get back on the diet again!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's go for four reviews from the last few days for me.

Starting off with The Caxton Arms - landlord of course is [MENTION=461]Mendoza[/MENTION] formerly of NSC fame. I visited with some friends for a burger while we were out for a few beers. First of all, the beer in the Caxton is pretty crap but there is not much our Brett can do about that as it is a Shepherd Neame pub. The burger menu is a little more limited than shown online but we had a mixture of beef and chicken burgers. Beef burgers were 6oz and tasty - meaty and moist. Toppings were good and with a decent portion of chips to go with them we were all pretty full at the end. The jerk chicken burger was also a very large breast, perfectly cooked and well spiced. Would definitely eat there again but not a place to drink until the beer selection improves.

Following morning it was breakfast at The Orchard Café with the family. I reviewed this place a while ago and it is still great. I had the smaller two pancake American stack this time but it still came with
loads of bacon, nice breakfast sausages and an egg. Others enjoyed their breakfast and as always the tea is loose leaf and served from a teapot - all very good.

That night was a trip into London for a show so we wanted somewhere to eat for pre-theatre dinner near the wonderful tourist trap that is Covent Garden. Didn't really want anything too heavy (snoring through west end shows is frowned upon) so we chose Cantina Laredo in Upper St Martin Street. We were quickly seated and given bottled water to drink while we looked at the menus.

We shared the Guacamole de Piña as a starter - very fresh taste and the tortillas were very light. My wife chose the Enchiladas Rojas as a main course with a side of Mexican red rice. The tortillas were well filled and tasty. I had the Brochetas de Pollo - chicken skewers with a nice sweet glaze. Nothing special but tasty all the same. The Tacos de Pato con Mole were very nice - duck with a Nutella mole which had a nice kick - and the Brochetas de Arrachera which were also good. We finished with very nice churros which came with a chilli chocolate dip and a lovely strawberry cream dip.

We also had a couple of drinks each and the bill came to around £100 including service. The food was good, the service attentive but not overbearing and the value was reasonable for this part of London. Will definitely go back again when next up for a show.

Finally, visited Fiordilatte in Worthing last night as a large group for a celebration. Everyone who had the pizza really enjoyed their food. This place is still a little under the radar and I still wonder why people go to the Pizza Express a few doors down when the pizza here is far superior and much cheaper. Only minor disappointment for a couple of our group was that there was no lasagne left. However, even that is seen as a bit of a positive as we were told it is not something that comes out the microwave but is made fresh every day. We finished with some very nice gelato.

After three days of eating out, time to get back on the diet again!

Was in Covent Garden yesterday for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Wife had finally lucked out in the ticket ballot a year ago. The show is split in two parts lasting from 1pm to 3.45 and then 6.30 to 9, though you have to be back at 6 due to the security queue. That leaves two hours to eat in and despite it being a year in the planning we just thought we’d wander round Chinatown and use the “table test” to pick somewhere full with native Chinese eating there.

Lido fitted the bill. 4pm and heaving with people scoffing dim sum. Got a table at the back and wasn’t disappointed. Some well made dumplings with various fillings, tasty moist duck spring rolls, fried prawns and an excellent seafood noodle dish. A soup with seafood dumpling needed the vinegar it came with and was then sweet and sharp together. All that plus a pot of Jasmine tea and a Tsing Tao for forty quid.

Service was brisk but perfectly polite despite some of their Facebook reviews. I honestly think people mistake the speed and orderliness of a dim sum place for rudeness. Having lived in Taipei and also eaten regularly in backstreet places in Hong Kong we knew that’s just the way it is. Plus I’m sure there’s an element of people going to these places to wind them up or eat ironically.

Funnily enough walked past Cantina Laredo on way to Bills for breakfast this morning. I love a Bills and this hit the spot. Need to go for a run at some point soon now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Tim Raue last week. Second time I have been and within Germany, and certainly Berlin, he is arguably the most known and recognised chef. Character wise he’s the German equivalent of Ramsey and comes with an oft repeated, and now tiresome, back story of how he once ran with Kreuzberg gangs. Food wise he’s a blend of French technical skills and Asian ingredients and flavours. He was also included in the Netflix Chefs Table series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6546634/

I went for his signature tasting menu with paired wines. This included his wasabi langoustine, the dish he’s most proud of and probably most famous for, and it didn’t disappoint. He claims it includes every taste sensation and texture. It possibly does but I wasn’t counting. It’s a fun, creative, playful dish which looks and tastes brilliant. His other key dish is his interpretation of Peking duck. This is 3 separate dishes of duck comprised of duck fillet, liver and a broth of offal. It came with a different wine for each event though; overkill for me. The duck itself was excellently executed but possibly lacking in imagination unlike his other dishes. Maybe there is a point to this though? Sometimes a solid classic, albeit deconstructed, is what you need.

All good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here