Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's a very good reason for that. If you take reservations for tables that are obviously better than the others in a restaurant - outside in nice weather, great view etc - then every single customer will ask to be sat in them and be disappointed when told that they are already booked so you have already pissed people off a bit before you have even started.

Even worse, if a customer turns up at 12:30 for example and asks to sit on a prime table and is told that it is booked and then the person who it is booked for is late or doesn't turn up at all, a customer can spend the whole meal looking at the empty table that they were not allowed to sit at and end up seething and vowing never to return.

Far better just to seat the prime tables as people arrive and then later customers can see that the tables are full and can either wait for the next one or sit straight down

Nope - that's fair enough, I hadn't really thought of it like that. It's a bit frustrating though - Mrs W and myself are lunching this Sunday and want to sit outside. Tried to book R&F but as we couldn't guarantee to sit outside we've decided to go elsewhere. I have no doubt they will fill all the tables on Sunday regardless though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nope - that's fair enough, I hadn't really thought of it like that. It's a bit frustrating though - Mrs W and myself are lunching this Sunday and want to sit outside. Tried to book R&F but as we couldn't guarantee to sit outside we've decided to go elsewhere. I have no doubt they will fill all the tables on Sunday regardless though.

Funnily enough when we arrived Saturday evening we were offered and outside table even having booked which was right at the entrance so we witnessed the numerous ones turned away.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Capri - Lancing (2nd visit)

So some refreshment in the Micro pub next door and a group of six of us. There was a massive group of around 20 celebrating a 70th birthday already in there.

All had various starters, I have garlic mushrooms which was quite decent. Then a very long wait for mains..........

Even an apology over delay but there was a massive party ahead of us - Spaghetti Marinara which had the smaller mussels I have ever seen however OK. All the others said their meals were reasonable, no real wow factor as such.

Can't really decide on the restaurant whether good or bad as both times delays.

6/10

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Alright restaurantados

(Look at me bit) In a moment of genius / stupidity I booked a 1 way flight to Russia leaving tomorrow which has resulted in me needing to appease the missus and get some serious brownie points to make sure I have a house to come back to, whenever that is.

Wheres good for dinner, actually fancy Hove as we rarely go out there but will also consider Brighton. We liked 64 Degrees and The Set so somewhere of that ilk. The Little Fish Market is on the list but open to other ideas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Alright restaurantados

(Look at me bit) In a moment of genius / stupidity I booked a 1 way flight to Russia leaving tomorrow which has resulted in me needing to appease the missus and get some serious brownie points to make sure I have a house to come back to, whenever that is.

Wheres good for dinner, actually fancy Hove as we rarely go out there but will also consider Brighton. We liked 64 Degrees and The Set so somewhere of that ilk. The Little Fish Market is on the list but open to other ideas.

Etch, and good luck!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Alright restaurantados

Etch and Little Fish Market are, umm, closed on a Monday.

Set and 64 degrees are open though.

You could always promise her a meal out on your return? She's bound to go for that.

Enjoy Russia...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Etch and Little Fish Market are, umm, closed on a Monday.

Set and 64 degrees are open though.

You could always promise her a meal out on your return? She's bound to go for that.

Enjoy Russia...

Sorry should have been clearer - planned meal upon my return, not today !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah! Then I agree with HT - Etch. Or your suggestion of LFM.

(And I was Mrs Springal I’d be dining out on this a lot more than one night out...I speak from experience :lolol:)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tried Pizza 500 for the first time properly on Saturday.

It's decent enough but it was really busy and I find it hard to judge them at such a time. Menu a bit much to be honest, they could refine it. Enjoyed our starters, though they weren't mindblowing. Missus had a very decent caronara and my pizza was really good. Decent bottle of wine for 16 quid and we were out the door for less than 50 quid including a tip. Will go again but not on a hot saturday evening!

7/10 mainly because it's good value.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to Brindisa (Tapas) Borough Market, London http://www.brindisa.com the weekend before last (pre-ambulance dancing). Four of us tried most dishes on the menu. All agreed one of the nicest places we have eaten in ages, good service, informal and great atmosphere. They don’t take bookings but we waited at the bar for 20 minutes and they got us a table outside.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quick shout out to Finch in Worthing.

Fairly new place located down Warwick Street housed in the former cook shop.

Fairly cool Cafe / Bistro type place. Popped in today for breakfast about 10am and got a table, place was full by 10.30. Decent amount of veggie options and also a couple of 2 people sharing things which looked good (Heuvos Ranchos and something else)

I had the breakfast, 2 bacon, 1 sausage, home made smokey beans (in separate pot), poached eggs, sourdough toast.

Was decent, poached eggs overdone for me but seemed everyone’s was. Service bit slow but wasn’t in a rush but maybe need a third person serving for the 40 or so covers they could have. Coffee was spot on though, very good Flat White.

7/10

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Breakfast Club, Market Street

Four of us went today......arrived about 10am, place was mobbed with people waiting for tables. We were told 25 mins, staff were very communicative and efficient, we were sat down within 15 mins max.

Nice range of brekkies (from full English to various pancake-accompanied efforts etc) and drinks, service nice and friendly and pretty good (just a bit slow to take payment after giving us the bill). Portions are very big - waitress said hardly anyone ever finishes their meal. Maybe they should reduce them a bit.......anyway, everyone enjoyed what they had. Will go back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Me again.

Any recommendations for Central London casual dining for a small group? A few ex-work colleagues meet up monthly but we keep going to the same places (Meat Liquor, Blues Street Kitchen, Hawksmoor) and fancy something different this month. Not a massive budget and similar food to the above but fancy somewhere different!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Me again.

Any recommendations for Central London casual dining for a small group? A few ex-work colleagues meet up monthly but we keep going to the same places (Meat Liquor, Blues Street Kitchen, Hawksmoor) and fancy something different this month. Not a massive budget and similar food to the above but fancy somewhere different!

St John, if not, one of their offshoots, such as Anchor & Hope, which is a little cheaper

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
, such as Anchor & Hope, which is a little cheaper

I regularly have lunch / work at the place in the Theatre just up the road from there but never been in. Looks good, will take a closer look

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I regularly have lunch / work at the place in the Theatre just up the road from there but never been in. Looks good, will take a closer look

They do something remarkable. They do simple dishes -- almost home-cooked, traditional style dishes -- but execute them to such a high standard. If you want a decent red, the Marcillac they sell goes for at or less than £30 and is really good.
PS they also do an excellent value 'worker's lunch'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you want to eat at Gaucho I suggest book ASAP as they are sadly the latest chain about to go under.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you want to eat at Gaucho I suggest book ASAP as they are sadly the latest chain about to go under.

I think every sales person in London did about 5-10 years ago didn't they and that's the problem.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Entirely unnecessarily so, imo. I’m close to one of the potential buyers and believe that the offer tabled was fair and reasonable. Whether that offer will stand if the group enters administration is doubtful. There’s the faintest chance of a pre-pack still, but I doubt it will happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here