Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to St John again last night. Spent some time in the bar with the missus a nice beer killing some time as we were early. The bar menu is quite astonishing and full of English classics.

The moved to the dining room. Had two starters: the bone marrow and parsley salad and a crispy pig skin and dandelion to start. Saddle of hare with red cabbage and bread sauce for main and a rum and raisin parfait for dessert. A couple of glasses of fizz and two glasses of red. First was heavy, second was even heavier. Both were stunning to my uneducated wine palate.
    Despite the English label, Fergus has always had a classical sensibility, and knows his French onions, and the rest. His wine list has always been one of the most interesting, and best value of the better restaurants. Rather than going with the big names, and classical regions, he's mined the French regions and put together a cracking list. In case you didn't know, you can buy their wines online too. That influence has also rubbed off on the Anchor & Hope and their sister restaurants, which you must try at some point.
    PS I've had those two starters before. Sounds like a delicious meal.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      Despite the English label, Fergus has always had a classical sensibility, and knows his French onions, and the rest. His wine list has always been one of the most interesting, and best value of the better restaurants. Rather than going with the big names, and classical regions, he's mined the French regions and put together a cracking list. In case you didn't know, you can buy their wines online too. That influence has also rubbed off on the Anchor & Hope and their sister restaurants, which you must try at some point.
      PS I've had those two starters before. Sounds like a delicious meal.
      I had noted his wines are all French and names I didn’t recognise....but then I admit to not knowing much anyway. I usually just say I like dry and heavy reds. I then leave it to the staff to find me a few suitable wines by the glass to drink during my meal. It seems to work. And I’m learning.

I always have the bone marrow. I love the parsley and sea salt on the toasted sour dough; so simple but so effective. Once this is down the hatch the meal then starts
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Around a third of Jamies' Italian Restaurants are closing due to financial problems, seems like the cheeky mockney boy overcooked it
      Went a number of times when the kids were younger and it was brilliant - especially with the menu being on the old kind of photo viewing machines. The few times I've been over the last couple of years without kids it's been pretty poor. Quite clearly been cutting costs and the quality and volume of the dishes. Best left to die a death really. Far better and cheaper Italians in the city. Kind of shows what Oliver is really about.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Whilst we are on the subject of chain restaurants......

Frankie & Bennie's ITSU Centre - Stoke, pre-match.

So much the same as at the Marina in Brighton but with one massive difference, the view of Stoke is shit compared to the sea.

Undernourished student needed feeding.

Starters I had Olives as rather early and famished one dough balls.

Mains Steak and fries and the hungry one a pizza.

I have read this lot are not doing well but it was reasonable well cooked food in my view.

7/10
      Last edited by Beach Hut; 11-02-2018 at 00:55.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Only Happy When It Rains Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Went to St John again last night.
      Had two starters: the bone marrow and parsley salad and a crispy pig skin and dandelion to start.
      Have to say HT, much as I love and respect you as a man - in the non-biblical sense obviously - I would literally FLEE any restaurant serving such vile-sounding starters. To the great unwashed uninitiated such as moi, every single element of those starters is something you'd like to think you'd avoid at all costs. Or indeed ANY cost.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Have to say HT, much as I love and respect you as a man - in the non-biblical sense obviously - I would literally FLEE any restaurant serving such vile-sounding starters. To the great unwashed uninitiated such as moi, every single element of those starters is something you'd like to think you'd avoid at all costs. Or indeed ANY cost.
      Crispy pig skin = crackling
      Marrow = found in any decent stock or jus/gravy

1 Not allowed!

Kind words.

Trust me, they were both very very nice. As an aside the dandelion adds a big hit of bitterness to the sweeter pork crackling; perfect.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      La Galleria - Shoreham

A home turf trip with Mrs Hut.

Starters Prawn in batter with sweet chilli dip and better half baked brie which was very well cooked and seasoned. Mains - Tagliatelle Fiorentina and Petto Di Pollo Alla Francese.

Mains really were very good with an excellent house red.

Definitely a fixture at this rate so 8/10
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

1 Not allowed!
      Visited Patty & Bun's new Brighton restaurant pre-match yesterday. Burgers were very good and cooked medium rare so great meaty taste and flavour. Had the chips with chicken skin mayo - that mayo is so good I asked to take another pot home. I was driving thanks to the engineering works so had the homemade pink lemonade to drink that was nice and not too sweet. Bargain prices as all burgers were £5 for the opening week but will be happy to pay full price. They also have a takeaway window if you don't want to dine in.

Up there with Burger Brothers and Trolls Pantry for quality burgers in Brighton.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      Visited Patty & Bun's new Brighton restaurant pre-match yesterday. Burgers were very good and cooked medium rare so great meaty taste and flavour. Had the chips with chicken skin mayo - that mayo is so good I asked to take another pot home. I was driving thanks to the engineering works so had the homemade pink lemonade to drink that was nice and not too sweet. Bargain prices as all burgers were £5 for the opening week but will be happy to pay full price. They also have a takeaway window if you don't want to dine in.

Up there with Burger Brothers and Trolls Pantry for quality burgers in Brighton.
      Cheers for the heads up.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.