[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mrs. Cowfold has a 'surgical proceedure' to undergo early in the new year, and l am planning to book a table at Etch afterwards as a special treat. A good choice do you think?

I went there a month ago and a quick review is somewhere further up. I really enjoyed it, good atmosphere, good size so fairly intimate and the food was spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finally got myself to Black Axe Mangel tonight. A Turkish and heavy metal inspired restaurant with a nod to less popular meats and and huge flavors. It’s not surprise the owner worked for Fergus Henderson and they are the only restaurant to have done a “take over” at the legendary St John. In fact I had the good fortune to chat with the owner about the great man and how inspiring, lovely and humble he is. Oh, and they do rabbit croquettes!

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg Rabbit croquette

IMG_3309.jpg Foie gras donuts

IMG_3311.jpg lamb offal flat bread

IMG_3313.jpg bone marrow and anchovy flat bread.

IMG_3315.jpg beef cheek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It does, but oily fish, mayo and (oily) pesto sounds even worse.

As a follow up, I had sardines at St John today. They came with a very oily pesto.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It does, but oily fish, mayo and (oily) pesto sounds even worse.

As a follow up, I had sardines at St John today. They came with a very oily sauce.

IMG_3332.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also had the bone marrow, f@ggots and mustard chard for main and cheese.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also had the bone marrow, f@ggots and mustard chard for main and cheese.

You lucky, lucky......

I’ve just had an extremely average works lunch at a Chef & Brewer in Uxbridge. I suspect they got their sprouts recipe off my old dead granny, the desert was so rich it should have been called Tony Bloom and the IPA was poorly kept. Good company though and certainly better than an afternoon working.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As a follow up, I had sardines at St John today. They came with a very oily sauce.

View attachment 102789

I consider myself suitably admonished, and will attempt to refrain from being so dogmatic in the future :wink:
On a related note, I'm going to cook something none too dissimilar tonight -- although it's featuring red mullet, and tomato/herb-based oily stuff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I consider myself suitably admonished, and will attempt to refrain from being so dogmatic in the future :wink:
On a related note, I'm going to cook something none too dissimilar tonight -- although it's featuring red mullet, and tomato/herb-based oily stuff

Sounds great. What time do you want me round? [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] might need a decent feed as well, can he be my plus 1?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds great. What time do you want me round? [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] might need a decent feed as well, can he be my plus 1?

:lolol:

I'll need to recover from the after effects of death by chocolate combined with shit beer first.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
A review I forgot to post a couple of weeks ago. Mrs W and I were slightly delicate on a Sunday morning and really fancied a roast dinner. I'm not the greatest fan of going out for a roast as I can cook a very decent one but in this case I made an exception. We managed to get into Libation. I have to say, it was a cracking dinner. Loads of veg, meat cooked how it should be and lashings of gravy. Washed down with a couple of bottles of Sancerre ..... spot on.

Dave Day's places seem to be getting a rep for decent roasts and it was no different here. To the point that the man himself was eating one while we were there. 9/10.

Went in for a burger yesterday lunchtime and it was superb.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Last weekend of Amex shop small (spend £10+ get £5 credited) so thought I’d try somewhere new for lunch today.

Went Curry Leaf Cafe on Ship Street towards the end of their lunch service. Few office parties in but weren’t too loud.

Went for the Pork Vindaloo Thali - went large as it was my Linner (lunch / dinner). Thought it was very nice, portion size just right. Pork Vindaloo was enjoyable not just stupidly hot, well spiced and a bit vinegary which was nice. The naan bread (garlic & spring onion) was very good. Also loved their mango chutney which had a real kick to it.

Decent value at £13.50 and even more so with £5 credit making it £8.50.

Would definitely go back, nicer atmosphere than Chilli Pickle has now too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here