Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yeah I don't get to go as much as I used to, but the Westbourne and the Poets Corner are both phenomenal for grub.

Poets is my favourite pub, the food is ok I've found it has gone downhill a little lately, with too many options on the menu, but still a great place for a drink and to watch sport.

Feels like a proper pub as well, lots of decent locals and always people in there.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Poets is my favourite pub, the food is ok I've found it has gone downhill a little lately, with too many options on the menu, but still a great place for a drink and to watch sport.

Feels like a proper pub as well, lots of decent locals and always people in there.

I only discovered the food very recently (two small kids mean I'm far less actively supportive of local pubs than I should be) but you're right it's a cracking pub.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m in The Bird, IMHO the world’s premier burger joint, with [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION]* (NSC’s pre-eminent burger, sausage and general meat based product expert).

*Only god can judge this.

Jul 7, 2003
So, having read many reviews from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] I got to try his favourite burger place last night.

We arrived a little late having been visiting craft beer tap rooms and this is one of those restaurants that limits your time at the table to two hours. I wasn't sure why you would need that long in a burger restaurant.

Before the main event, the every hungry Herr had a plate of chicken wings as a starter. To help those along he ordered a round of Picklebacks - this is a shot of Jamesons with a shot of pickle juice that you knock back. Surprisingly good as a digestif ahead of the main event.

I chose to take their base burger and then add bacon, onions and jalepenos. This place relies on ingredients to enhance their meat rather than loads of sauces. The burger arrived with a mountain of chips (skin on) and the salad on the side. It is served in an English muffin rather than a bun - not something I have had before but it worked well. The accompaniments were good but the star of the show is the meat. It is a half pound burger, I chose to have mine medium rare, but unlike many places, this is a big thick patty so you get the real flavour of the meat.

We didn't get to try the dessert menu though as our time was up and we were kicked out of the door as our two hours were up.

Would this place hold up against the likes of Burger Brothers and Trolls Pantry? It is a restaurant rather than a take away but yes, it is a mighty fine burger I would recommend to anyone visiting Berlin. All we need now is for the Herr to buy a franchise to set up shop in Brighton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Phew. I was sweating on this review :smile: Glad you liked it.

As an aside here’s a photo of my Cin Cin rabbit croquette from Saturday , yummy. IMG_3222.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So, having read many reviews from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] I got to try his favourite burger place last night.

We arrived a little late having been visiting craft beer tap rooms and this is one of those restaurants that limits your time at the table to two hours. I wasn't sure why you would need that long in a burger restaurant.

Before the main event, the every hungry Herr had a plate of chicken wings as a starter. To help those along he ordered a round of Picklebacks - this is a shot of Jamesons with a shot of pickle juice that you knock back. Surprisingly good as a digestif ahead of the main event.

I chose to take their base burger and then add bacon, onions and jalepenos. This place relies on ingredients to enhance their meat rather than loads of sauces. The burger arrived with a mountain of chips (skin on) and the salad on the side. It is served in an English muffin rather than a bun - not something I have had before but it worked well. The accompaniments were good but the star of the show is the meat. It is a half pound burger, I chose to have mine medium rare, but unlike many places, this is a big thick patty so you get the real flavour of the meat.

We didn't get to try the dessert menu though as our time was up and we were kicked out of the door as our two hours were up.

Would this place hold up against the likes of Burger Brothers and Trolls Pantry? It is a restaurant rather than a take away but yes, it is a mighty fine burger I would recommend to anyone visiting Berlin. All we need now is for the Herr to buy a franchise to set up shop in Brighton.

Well as you two are the undoubted burger afficianados of NSC, may I suggest the two of you club together to buy that franchise? To be known as the Deutch Esel perhaps?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here’s the wings and burger from [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION]s reviewIMG_3244.jpgIMG_3245.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A review I forgot to post a couple of weeks ago. Mrs W and I were slightly delicate on a Sunday morning and really fancied a roast dinner. I'm not the greatest fan of going out for a roast as I can cook a very decent one but in this case I made an exception. We managed to get into Libation. I have to say, it was a cracking dinner. Loads of veg, meat cooked how it should be and lashings of gravy. Washed down with a couple of bottles of Sancerre ..... spot on.

Dave Day's places seem to be getting a rep for decent roasts and it was no different here. To the point that the man himself was eating one while we were there. 9/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here