Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf's Up View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to the Regency next weekend. This is not your uber-trendy Brighton eatery but is supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced for fish, any recommend dishes?
    Been there a couple of times - perfectly well cooked fish dishes as you would expect but nothing spectacular. Father-in-Law loves the fish platter which does look very good value for money with the amount you get. Place ( no pun intended ! ) and menu are a tad .... well .... old fashioned BUT good food for a decent price and service is good.
    The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
    I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      First trip out last week - this time to Divino on Church Road. We'd been before on a steak and champagne Groupon deal and liked it so brought another to use in the lead up to Christmas. Successfully booked but the day before they rung to cancel as they had booked a live band and Groupons would not be accepted despite pre-booking. No real apology just an offer for a table with the full menu if we wanted it. Not really that happy.

So instead we used it last week. Bit of a disappointment over last time. Mrs W wanted a Tricolor salad. Now I'm all for new ideas but what on earth can you do to change one of these salads ? Well, you can chop it very very finely and push it in a ring stuck together with mayonnaise. It looked more like a pale tartare. Tasted OK ... ish.

Steak was cooked correctly but not trimmed of it's chewy bits around the side and there quite a few. Veg were pretty good though.

Mrs W had Creme Brulee for dessert - possibly the worst ever. No taste of vanilla at all. The sugar glass top was only glass in the centre and about the size of a 50p - the rest was soft. Sent it back and the waiter came back to say he tasted it and it tasted good. Reluctantly removed from the bill.

Service was rushed - a number of attempts to clear the table before we were finished yet they weren't busy.

A pity as we enjoyed our first visit but won't be returning now. 3/10.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This has been a well discussed topic in the past........

If you want a medium or rare burger and don’t want to leave Britain to achieve this you can go to Honest Johns

“Honest Burgers, which has grown from one Brixton outlet to a 24-strong chain, has invested £600,000 in a butchery unit so it can make its own burgers. With LTTC (less than thoroughly cooked) accreditation, their burgers can be served rare. It’s now supplying five of their south London restaurants (honestburgers.co.uk).”
      Pink near Waterloo is also a great burger place. The name tells you all you need to know.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Burgers & Cocktails - Brighton

Been here before and quite a good chain but not for a while and may be a while again.

Mrs Hut in attendance so ordered a bottle of red, why does it take 15 minutes to produce this when hardly anyone in the restaurant ?

Starters - shared Nachos and a burger for me and chicken burger for Mrs Hut.

So about a quarter of the way through a stack of reasonable nachos and two burgers arrived - WTF ? Requested they went back as eating starter and watched them congealing under a hot lamp so requested replacements. Nachos finished, burgers arrived - OK but nothing special - minuscule chicken according to the better half.

10% service charge added to the bill, requested removed and was.

5/10 not likely to re-visit any time soon.
      Last edited by Beach Hut; 12-01-2018 at 22:22.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Burgers & Cocktails - pre Baggie meal (night before)

Been here before and quite a good chain but not for a while and may be a while again.

Mrs Hut in attendance so ordered a bottle of red, why does it take 15 minutes to produce this when hardly anyone in the restaurant ?

Starters - shared Nachos and a burger for me and chicken burger for Mrs Hut.

So about a quarter of the way through a stack of reasonable nachos and two burgers arrived - WTF ? Requested they went back as eating starter and watched them congealing under a hot lamp so requested replacements. Nachos finished, burgers arrived - OK but nothing special - minuscule chicken

5/10 not likely to re-visit any time soon.
      Should have gone across the road to Burger Brothers. Cheaper and far superior burgers. Not really a romantic place to take Mrs Hut to though.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      Should have gone across the road to Burger Brothers. Cheaper and far superior burgers. Not really a romantic place to take Mrs Hut to though.
      Yeah I saw that but wanted a sit down meal for some chit chat as well
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Service charges are a real bug bear of mine and I nearly always get it removed. The service needs to be exceptional for me to pay it.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
      Service charges are a real bug bear of mine and I nearly always get it removed. The service needs to be exceptional for me to pay it.
      Agreed. Service charge should be included in the price of the meal, the tip should be not on the bill and should go straight in the waitrons pocket (with a % going to the kitchen)

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      Pink near Waterloo is also a great burger place. The name tells you all you need to know.
      Noted. Thanks for this.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
      I know someone always asks if the service goes fully to the staff, if not she doesn’t pay. You may recall there was some controversy a while ago where some restaurants were keeping the service and using it to top up wages.

Personally, unless I have a truly bad experience, I always pay service. Most restaurant staff are just young decent people trying to make their way in life, are generally nice to me, and I figure if I can afford to eat or drink out I can afford a few pennies as gratitude. Each to there own though.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."