Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sure I saw someone had created this one, but I have failed to find it with multiple searches. Mods please merge if I have missed it.

Lunch at the China Palace in Worthing. One of only a small handful of places I know locally that sell Dim Sum. A reasonable selection and at £78 for four big eaters, excellent value. I am pretty sure I have recommended this one in the past and yet I don't recall anyone giving it a try. Unless you are a vegetarian Worthing folk what are you waiting for ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well done !

Did not know China Palace did Dim Sum every day, used to just be Sunday lunch times. Agreed there is very little choice for Dim Sum this side of Sussex.

Went to NRG Cavern in Worthing today. It’s a cafe that focuses on healthy food, so was ideal after a big workout this morning.

Had their chicken burger which is a marinated chicken breast whole, trimmed bacon and avocado in a whole meal bap, served with sweet potato fries. Hit the spot and good value at £7.95. Good locally roasted coffee too I believe. Always try and support local independent places and the service was as friendly as it usually is, despite a power cut late morning so having no card machines and being completely full.

Good choice of cakes, both normal and ‘healthy’

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go to China Palace several times a year and good quality, think they have just put their prices up though.

Going to Capri in Lancing in two weeks time, anyone been and any reviews ?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Sure I saw someone had created this one, but I have failed to find it with multiple searches. Mods please merge if I have missed it.

Lunch at the China Palace in Worthing. One of only a small handful of places I know locally that sell Dim Sum. A reasonable selection and at £78 for four big eaters, excellent value. I am pretty sure I have recommended this one in the past and yet I don't recall anyone giving it a try. Unless you are a vegetarian Worthing folk what are you waiting for ?

I actually thought Dim Sum was Japanese not Chinese!

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Has anyone tried Restaurant Tristran in Horsham? Have booked there in March. I believe (since South Lodge lost theirs) that they are the only Michelin Star restaurant currently in Sussex?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This has been a well discussed topic in the past........

If you want a medium or rare burger and don’t want to leave Britain to achieve this you can go to Honest Johns

“Honest Burgers, which has grown from one Brixton outlet to a 24-strong chain, has invested £600,000 in a butchery unit so it can make its own burgers. With LTTC (less than thoroughly cooked) accreditation, their burgers can be served rare. It’s now supplying five of their south London restaurants (honestburgers.co.uk).”

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looking for somewhere in the East Sussex countryside for next Sunday that is NOT a roast, repeat NOT a roast.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Going to the Regency next weekend. This is not your uber-trendy Brighton eatery but is supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced for fish, any recommend dishes?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Going to the Regency next weekend. This is not your uber-trendy Brighton eatery but is supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced for fish, any recommend dishes?

Been there a couple of times - perfectly well cooked fish dishes as you would expect but nothing spectacular. Father-in-Law loves the fish platter which does look very good value for money with the amount you get. Place ( no pun intended ! ) and menu are a tad .... well .... old fashioned BUT good food for a decent price and service is good.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
First trip out last week - this time to Divino on Church Road. We'd been before on a steak and champagne Groupon deal and liked it so brought another to use in the lead up to Christmas. Successfully booked but the day before they rung to cancel as they had booked a live band and Groupons would not be accepted despite pre-booking. No real apology just an offer for a table with the full menu if we wanted it. Not really that happy.

So instead we used it last week. Bit of a disappointment over last time. Mrs W wanted a Tricolor salad. Now I'm all for new ideas but what on earth can you do to change one of these salads ? Well, you can chop it very very finely and push it in a ring stuck together with mayonnaise. It looked more like a pale tartare. Tasted OK ... ish.

Steak was cooked correctly but not trimmed of it's chewy bits around the side and there quite a few. Veg were pretty good though.

Mrs W had Creme Brulee for dessert - possibly the worst ever. No taste of vanilla at all. The sugar glass top was only glass in the centre and about the size of a 50p - the rest was soft. Sent it back and the waiter came back to say he tasted it and it tasted good. Reluctantly removed from the bill.

Service was rushed - a number of attempts to clear the table before we were finished yet they weren't busy.

A pity as we enjoyed our first visit but won't be returning now. 3/10.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This has been a well discussed topic in the past........

If you want a medium or rare burger and don’t want to leave Britain to achieve this you can go to Honest Johns

“Honest Burgers, which has grown from one Brixton outlet to a 24-strong chain, has invested £600,000 in a butchery unit so it can make its own burgers. With LTTC (less than thoroughly cooked) accreditation, their burgers can be served rare. It’s now supplying five of their south London restaurants (honestburgers.co.uk).”

Pink near Waterloo is also a great burger place. The name tells you all you need to know.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Burgers & Cocktails - Brighton

Been here before and quite a good chain but not for a while and may be a while again.

Mrs Hut in attendance so ordered a bottle of red, why does it take 15 minutes to produce this when hardly anyone in the restaurant ?

Starters - shared Nachos and a burger for me and chicken burger for Mrs Hut.

So about a quarter of the way through a stack of reasonable nachos and two burgers arrived - WTF ? Requested they went back as eating starter and watched them congealing under a hot lamp so requested replacements. Nachos finished, burgers arrived - OK but nothing special - minuscule chicken according to the better half.

10% service charge added to the bill, requested removed and was.

5/10 not likely to re-visit any time soon.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Burgers & Cocktails - pre Baggie meal (night before)

Been here before and quite a good chain but not for a while and may be a while again.

Mrs Hut in attendance so ordered a bottle of red, why does it take 15 minutes to produce this when hardly anyone in the restaurant ?

Starters - shared Nachos and a burger for me and chicken burger for Mrs Hut.

So about a quarter of the way through a stack of reasonable nachos and two burgers arrived - WTF ? Requested they went back as eating starter and watched them congealing under a hot lamp so requested replacements. Nachos finished, burgers arrived - OK but nothing special - minuscule chicken

5/10 not likely to re-visit any time soon.

Should have gone across the road to Burger Brothers. Cheaper and far superior burgers. Not really a romantic place to take Mrs Hut to though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Should have gone across the road to Burger Brothers. Cheaper and far superior burgers. Not really a romantic place to take Mrs Hut to though.

Yeah I saw that but wanted a sit down meal for some chit chat as well

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Service charges are a real bug bear of mine and I nearly always get it removed. The service needs to be exceptional for me to pay it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Service charges are a real bug bear of mine and I nearly always get it removed. The service needs to be exceptional for me to pay it.

Agreed. Service charge should be included in the price of the meal, the tip should be not on the bill and should go straight in the waitrons pocket (with a % going to the kitchen)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I know someone always asks if the service goes fully to the staff, if not she doesn’t pay. You may recall there was some controversy a while ago where some restaurants were keeping the service and using it to top up wages.

Personally, unless I have a truly bad experience, I always pay service. Most restaurant staff are just young decent people trying to make their way in life, are generally nice to me, and I figure if I can afford to eat or drink out I can afford a few pennies as gratitude. Each to there own though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here