Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside, I’ll be taking [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] and his esteemed burger palate to www.thebirdinberlin.com in November to get his judgement on my favourite burger and chips. The chips will beat any burger joint chips outside of http://www.thespottedpig.com, I’m not worried there. But whilst I love the burger and the ingredients, are they are high grade, it’s not as refined as he’s used to. The range of burgers are more traditional as well...no caramelised onions with aioli etc for example. The Dr Zian (bacon and Stilton) is my go-to...... cooked medium of course.

I look forward to this.

Not the straw potatoes? They pissed me off. Wasn't overly impressed by the burger either!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Second visit to Forth and Church yesterday evening. Mixed meat selection and the raw & roasted cauliflower still absolutely fantastic. Guinea Fowl terrine with home made piccalilli was sublime. The pork belly was great as well but the salad that came with it was slightly over chillied for my tastes. Didn't like the potato and chestnut croquettes - I suspect because there was cumin in them which I'm not a fan of. Great bottle of Loire wine though. 9/10.

That sounds right up my street. Particularly the terrine. Thanks - it's on the list.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That sounds right up my street. Particularly the terrine. Thanks - it's on the list.

It's great, although not really a restaurant, more a hybrid thing. The good news is that it's a collaboration with Butlers, they stock about a quarter of their wines and put just £10 on the shelf prices to drink the wine on site.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

When you do go I challenge you not to order every tapas dish on the menu ! Myself and Mrs W work backwards - striking off what we don't want. We still came away with left overs last night. Plan to go one weekend afternoon and just have a nice bottle of wine with loads of cheese.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit quiet on here innit !

Went to the Ginger Pig last night as part of Octoberbest. Fairly last minute booking but they had availability and the menu seemed decent.

Choice of 2 dishes for starter, main and a single dessert. It came with a small wine flight included, 75ml measures I think, except a sherry with dessert was 50ml. 3 Courses and the wine for £20 each.

Was a bit worried it might be a bit small but was perfect portion sizes for a midweek feed.

Starter was an Arancini ball with truffle & mushroom camponata which was nice, full of flavour.
Main went for BBQ Pork Shoulder, Fried Mac n Cheese & charred peppers. The mix of sweet bbq sauce, really sweet red peppers & the pork shoulder were spot on. Really enjoyed this.
Dessert was a peanut butter cake which was alright. Probably wouldn't normally choose something like that but was decent enough.

Restaurant was probably 2/3rd full too so nice buzz about it.

Off to Etch in a few weeks which should be good!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Last Saturday out enjoying the sun walking along the seafront and went to Murmur for lunch. It's near the i360 in the newly developed arches. Mainly seafood with steaks. We both had the plaice which was excellent and I thought great value at £14.
Really nice restaurant, well worth a visit and seemed like they do good breakfasts from looking at the menu. The restaurant was set up by the chef Michael Bremner (64 degrees).
https://murmur-restaurant.co.uk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I see GBK are now in serious financial trouble and shutting down some restaurants.

Back to reviews and went to the Fish Factory in Worthing last Saturday.

Really good menu and very tasty buy clearly fish orientated but one gripe why place a hot starter on paper, seriously annoys me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have a number of UK trips before the end of the year so I have booked myself into St John not once but twice. Thinking that I’m way too focused on this particular place I’ve decided to cast my net a little wider and am also planning to visit http://blackaxemangal.com. Anyone been?

Moved from incorrectly posting on the 2017 thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Which are contenders in your opinion?

Not so sure I'm that well-placed to judge, as what Michelin want and what I want don't always overlap. They like stuffiness, and I like informality. They often like intrusive service, whereas I loathe it. I suspect my food tastes are more ingredient-led, rather than technically-focused too. I doubt you're too different given your St John thang.
I also don't eat out that often, particularly the better places. There was a fair bit of expectation The Little Fish Market would get one, which we visited early on, and wasn't over-enamored with it; I have been encouraged to revisit that particular prejudice, and its lack of a star will make a return that much easier.
Etch is probably another contender, 64 Degrees too, and then The Gingerman, Set, Isaacs. I'd like Silo to be in there too, which has really impressed me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not so sure I'm that well-placed to judge, as what Michelin want and what I want don't always overlap. They like stuffiness, and I like informality. They often like intrusive service, whereas I loathe it.

I'm not sure that's the case. Both the good Herr and I are fans of New York's Spotted Pig and, although it lost its star, it held it for 10+ years with a punky gastropub vibe with very informal service, often delivered by tattooed and pierced youngsters.

You could counter that with "well maybe American inspectors are different to those in the UK" but I've eaten at the one-starred Restaurant Tristan in Horsham and found it to be neither stuffy nor formal. I'd also say that The Pass, when it held its star, was of a similar vein.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure that's the case. Both the good Herr and I are fans of the New York's Spotted Pig and, although it lost its star, it held it for 10+ years with a punky gastropub vibe with very informal service, often delivered by tattooed and pierced youngsters.

You could counter that with "well maybe American inspectors are different to those in the UK" but I've eaten at the one-starred Restaurant Tristan in Horsham and found it to be neither stuffy nor formal. I'd also say that The Pass, when it held its star was of a similar vein.

I agree. And St John is a rather relaxed affair and has held a star for many years. It’s also obvious here in Berlin that Michelin are making a distinct effort to include more fun and less stuffy places in their guide; there was a bunch of new stars awarded to established restaurants fitting this bill last year and one the year before. It seemed to me to be a very clear statement and change of direction.

PS I didn’t realise The Spotted Pig lost its star; that’s a shame.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I gather Brighton still devoid of stars in the latest Michelin.

I'm really not convinced it matters. There are so many great places to eat in the city and none of them need the 'fame' of having a star. Off to Cin Cin (Hove) tomorrow - no star but meant to be fantastic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really not convinced it matters. There are so many great places to eat in the city and none of them need the 'fame' of having a star. Off to Cin Cin (Hove) tomorrow - no star but meant to be fantastic.

I agree there’s lots of great places but I think a star or more will be a very positive addition to the city.

Enjoy Cin Cin. I’m a regular at their city center venue so it will be good to hear your view of the Hove place.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
In Brighton for this w/e, first time for 20 months, with spouse + 2 teenagers, with well developed food tastes. Any recommendations for meal out in central Brighton after the Wolves game ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not so sure I'm that well-placed to judge, as what Michelin want and what I want don't always overlap. They like stuffiness, and I like informality. They often like intrusive service, whereas I loathe it. I suspect my food tastes are more ingredient-led, rather than technically-focused too. I doubt you're too different given your St John thang.
I also don't eat out that often, particularly the better places. There was a fair bit of expectation The Little Fish Market would get one, which we visited early on, and wasn't over-enamored with it; I have been encouraged to revisit that particular prejudice, and its lack of a star will make a return that much easier.
Etch is probably another contender, 64 Degrees too, and then The Gingerman, Set, Isaacs. I'd like Silo to be in there too, which has really impressed me.

As an aside, there’s a French place I’ve been to a few times in the three valleys, Le Farcon. It pretty relaxed and informal, the building it’s in is very unglamorous and 70s and you can even wear your ski boots to lunch and dinner. But the cooking is great. I remember one Tripadvisor comment questioning how such a down-scale place could get a star.

I’ve been to a number of very varied starred places and the only thing which seems to link them is a certain precision about what they’re doing. It’s difficult to explain but St John has it, as has/did The Spotted Pig, as does say Heston Blumenthal.

I’m with you on ingredients led cooking. My preference is ingredients led, a bit of creativity and/or thought, and fun. There has to be enjoyment and fun. If you’re ever in Berlin, or have access to Netflix, check out Tim Raue as he combines all three to great effect. Sadly, Tim himself is a Ramsey-esque bore; it’s only his wasabi langoustine which saves him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here