Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Unwelcome Palace Fans

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I'm somewhat surprised that if they are known turnstile jumpers that there is no action being taken in respect of that, either by the police and/or Palace themselves.

Palace's own statement on the turnstile jumpers: "This kind of antisocial and criminal behaviour is completely unacceptable and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There are very clear images of the incident and we will work with the police to identify the supporters involved, who will face stadium bans as well as potential criminal proceedings."

I am not surprised since despite the rhetoric nobody has face charges for forcing their way into the ground. Not one... Given previous examples of this when the plod cant use the actual law they often push their luck as much as possible and football fans are an easy target.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So many questions from this.

Isn't this a police rather than club affair? On what grounds and under which law is this being used? Where's the right of appeal? Is this even legal? Why were they allowed to buy tickets in the first place? Why is the answer to any problem with football fans always ever more draconian measures?

I'm not doubting Merry Prankster's story at all. I believe it 100% because I know him personally and he's very much a man of his word. I think he may also have introduced me to one of the Palace fans that have received this diktat. I've also got old school Palace mates who are long-time season ticket holders and we're all of the same opinion about how the police are trying to ruin the Palace-Brighton rivalry.

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Really do we need to stop people going in, the club should be dragging the great unwashed in and throwing them over the turdstile. We need more people in the stadium.

Yeah but that is not what I said. I said could not should (in that I believe you cant just stop someone going into a city, but a club could refuse people going into a ground same as a night club)

I think you misunderstood me

But Im not convinced about this story one bit, doesnt add up. They should apply for an interview at McDonalds then play the human rights card if arrested, which I have no idea what the charge could be

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
FAO Merry Prankster: I've tweeted this to the FSF and copied you in. I hope you don't mind but I think they need to know about this too.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It will be interesting how the match is policed.
Will they continue the over the top, man to man marking system, or will they be at a distance, keeping a close eye on things ?
I personally think they will be trying to provoke a reaction to justify the masses of police involved.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If I had travelled down from London with a ticket and then had been marched around the town by police and finally up to the stadium entrance and then be held up for no reason whilst the game had already kicked off. I might jump over the turnstile myself, especially if ticketless fans were doing it!

How very naïve and selective . . Had you been marched around the town by the Police, as you put it, you would have ben part of a potentially violent mob, clearly intent on trouble. Why else would you have arrived hours before kick-off in what was clearly an organised attempt to disrupt. Had you arrived from London with, say, a coupe of mates, and gone for a quiet drink as thousands of others manage to do, then you would not have been marched anywhere. Don't tell me otherwise -my son in law had the unenviable duty of keeping the Palace rabble from our own trouble makers, as well as dealing with those clearly the worse for wear which made them even more aggressive.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Will they continue the over the top, man to man marking system, or will they be at a distance, keeping a close eye on things ?
I personally think they will be trying to provoke a reaction to justify the masses of police involved.

Of course they are. They are on duty very early in the morning for this game, and want to provoke as many fans as possible to make their jobs immeasurably harder, as the day goes on. Obviously the more people who are hurt the better and even better still if there is considerable damage . .

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I personally think they will be trying to provoke a reaction to justify the masses of police involved.[/QUOTE]

Of course they are. They are on duty very early in the morning for this game, and want to provoke as many fans as possible to make their jobs immeasurably harder, as the day goes on. Obviously the more people who are hurt the better and even better still if there is considerable damage . .

More overtime innit, police love this sh1t, some get a horse ride chucked in as well

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How very naïve and selective . . Had you been marched around the town by the Police, as you put it, you would have ben part of a potentially violent mob, clearly intent on trouble. Why else would you have arrived hours before kick-off in what was clearly an organised attempt to disrupt. Had you arrived from London with, say, a coupe of mates, and gone for a quiet drink as thousands of others manage to do, then you would not have been marched anywhere. Don't tell me otherwise -my son in law had the unenviable duty of keeping the Palace rabble from our own trouble makers, as well as dealing with those clearly the worse for wear which made them even more aggressive.

No. Absolutely disagree. Ask yourself this - if you had identified a group of fans that were a high-risk for becoming violent, would deliberately holding them back until after the game had started be more or less likely to increase the likelihood of trouble occurring?

As for arriving hours before a game, more or less every away crowd to Brighton has had fans that have done just that. We're a town known for loads of pubs, it's a great away day. There's absolutely nothing sinister about it.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I personally think they will be trying to provoke a reaction to justify the masses of police involved.[/QUOTE]

The average policeman thinks! haha lol etc

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've posted elsewhere but worth posting here too, I think:

What I really don't understand is this - if there is sufficient evidence that a fan has done something wrong to warrant being banned from an entire town then why have no fans been charged for those offences yet?

The ban is something that follows from committing an offence. If you haven't been charged with committing an offence then how can you be banned? And how can you appeal against a punishment when you don't know what it was for?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've posted elsewhere but worth posting here too, I think:

What I really don't understand is this - if there is sufficient evidence that a fan has done something wrong to warrant being banned from an entire town then why have no fans been charged for those offences yet?

The ban is something that follows from committing an offence. If you haven't been charged with committing an offence then how can you be banned? And how can you appeal against a punishment when you don't know what it was for?

Agree @buzzer. What I dont get (and have no doubt Merry Prankster is saying what he has been told in good faith) is why said fans didnt question WHY, there must be more to it than the club called and said you are going to be arrested cos a)its not up to the club to make that call, b)arrested on what grounds/charge, c)it can be legal even to Palace people

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
The general misconception is if you're a football fan, enjoy a pint, have a sing song, then your classed a potential hooligan.
The Palace fans marched around Brighton were in high spirits, but generally well behaved.Things only changed when they finally reached the Amex after kick off, and a mob of your lot we're waiting.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The general misconception is if you're a football fan, enjoy a pint, have a sing song, then your classed a potential hooligan.
The Palace fans marched around Brighton were in high spirits, but generally well behaved.Things only changed when they finally reached the Amex after kick off, and a mob of your lot we're waiting.

We collect knuckle dusters and knives, flares is a bonus thats why dont you know :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Things only changed when they finally reached the Amex after kick off, and a mob of your lot we're waiting.

I honestly don't think this was relevant to the storming of the gates and it doesn't move the argument along either. There was no massive Albion v Palace punch up involving that crowd prior to the gates incident. It came about for a number of reasons but I haven't seen or heard anywhere that mentions Brighton fans.

You're right though. The attitude of the police and some on here about fans arriving early with mates, enjoying a few beers and being noisy means that you intend to cause trouble.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No. Absolutely disagree. Ask yourself this - if you had identified a group of fans that were a high-risk for becoming violent, would deliberately holding them back until after the game had started be more or less likely to increase the likelihood of trouble occurring?

As for arriving hours before a game, more or less every away crowd to Brighton has had fans that have done just that. We're a town known for loads of pubs, it's a great away day. There's absolutely nothing sinister about it.

Would Brighton Station not be packed prior to the match? Would not having this mob make the situation that much worse? Would it not make more sense to bring them on after the huge bulk of Albion fans had left? Of course fans will arrive in Brighton early, as it is a good place to visit, compared to many other cities/towns, as you say, but the snarling mob of fans on this occasion ( and given the rivalry which is an excuse for violence) that the Police had to deal with could hardly be described as "absolutely nothing sinister". I am passing this on to my son in law who gets called to patrol this sort of thing - he will love your description.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here