Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Unwelcome Palace Fans

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I've posted elsewhere but worth posting here too, I think:

What I really don't understand is this - if there is sufficient evidence that a fan has done something wrong to warrant being banned from an entire town then why have no fans been charged for those offences yet?

The ban is something that follows from committing an offence. If you haven't been charged with committing an offence then how can you be banned? And how can you appeal against a punishment when you don't know what it was for?

May not be relevant in this instance, but there are plenty of fans under banning orders without convictions. Seems the Police can apply for them just using your acquaintances, proximity to instances of disorder and any other circumstantial evidence they can dream up, and sometimes the courts will grant them. :shrug:

Jan 30, 2008
Brighton mob still outside the NW 5 minutes before ko.
to many people happy to point their phones at Palace:facepalm: while they threw some fireworks back:facepalm: , potential flash point up the stairs as Palace come down but who in their right mind going to start throwing punches OUTSIDE THE GROUND???
regards
DR

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm somewhat surprised that if they are known turnstile jumpers that there is no action being taken in respect of that, either by the police and/or Palace themselves.

Palace's own statement on the turnstile jumpers: "This kind of antisocial and criminal behaviour is completely unacceptable and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There are very clear images of the incident and we will work with the police to identify the supporters involved, who will face stadium bans as well as potential criminal proceedings."

And precisely how many fans have been identified and banned to date...?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
From the pre-match brief:

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 23.06.34.png

Reckon they've got images of the Palace fans that they want to arrest and are using facial recognition at the turnstiles to match faces of those entering to the faces of those they want to nick. Those that jumped the turnstiles or did pyro last time will get nicked on Monday or shortly afterwards.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aware of him?

Yeah. I'm aware of what he and Thatcher did to football.

So you will appreciate how football supporters are viewed by the considerable segment of society to whom he and Thatcher spoke. All the while that segment is considerable there will be no change. But, yes, you know that already.

I wonder who you imagine can be the 'political' voice for the football supporter, however. Thatcher, her braying back benchers, the Sun and the Mail, had voices that continue to resonate. I am not aware of any successful populist voice leading the counter charge.

Today, unfortunately we have not one single charismatic populist politician in the frame, these days (Boris and Jezza do not count since neither have more than half the popular media fawning over them, and neither are, or are likey to become PM), let alone one in the frame that is prepared to take football, 'football lads', or even the more humble elments such as supporters clubs, and work with them and present them as heroic examples of British individualism, standing up for a great tradition with its family values etc., supporting heir clubs.

Nope. To win the hearts and minds of middle England, and get the OB off the backs of the ordinary supporters would require a makeover and rebranding not only of the present but the past. And what politician would bother? Football is primarily a TV thing these days, and when people do chuck flares or worse they are seen by the TV viwer simply as yobbos.

Like I said, the damage is long since done and we are still receiving the harvest of the 70s and 80s , and will continue to do so as far as I can see. Sorry.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
The general misconception is if you're a football fan, enjoy a pint, have a sing song, then your classed a potential hooligan.
The Palace fans marched around Brighton were in high spirits, but generally well behaved.Things only changed when they finally reached the Amex after kick off, and a mob of your lot we're waiting.

Sorry 100% incorrect as usual. I saw your morons coming off the train just after 19:30 as I was held back coming from the car park. They were looking for trouble straight away, spitting at stewards, throwing fireworks Brighton before the the brighton yobs at the base of the Amex were waiting for them. The police decided wrongly in my book, to concentrate on the making sure the bha fans did not get near them and let the Ultras run riot. When ever Palace do something wrong it’s all ways someone else fault.

Also agree that you can if you don’t come in a mob go to pubs in Brighton and have a good day, like some of my Palace mates who had a good day, in the ground at 19:00 and were disgusted at the little chavs who have put your club to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Don't worry Sussex OB will sort them out after assisting Surrey OB to royally F@ck up a big local derby on New Years Day:blush:Clowns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From the pre-match brief:

View attachment 92625

Reckon they've got images of the Palace fans that they want to arrest and are using facial recognition at the turnstiles to match faces of those entering to the faces of those they want to nick. Those that jumped the turnstiles or did pyro last time will get nicked on Monday or shortly afterwards.

Given Apple have only just introduced facial recognition I find it incredibly hard to believe the Met or Sussex Police have now brought it in.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
On what grounds? What are they going to do about it? Do they already have match tickets?

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few chaps get an early morning knock on the door from police on Monday.

bollox innit .....what with all the scandal in Politics and the top end of town but police have the resourses to identify rowdies and pre warn them their attendance is unacceptable ......amate of mine was back in Barnsley last year and got a ticket to the Barnsley v Sheff weds game ....he said it was carnage and the OB just stood by with go pro sticks videoing all the aggro , his young lad got knocked over and my mate had to push a couple of blokes out of the way to get to him to pick him up ........OB managed to identify him and trace him to his brothers house and serve him an affray notice .....he's lived in OZ for 18 years so all this bollox about not having the resources is... well....bollox. makes the whole grooming issue even more hard to take.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Out with some Palace this afternoon two of whom have just been contacted by their club to inform them that if they set foot in Brighton on Monday they will be arrested.

That being the case ... Don't come to Brighton

Pretty simple

Stay at home and wait for puberty

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Given Apple have only just introduced facial recognition I find it incredibly hard to believe the Met or Sussex Police have now brought it in.

Not sure if you're joking or not but police have been using it for a while now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Also agree that you can if you don’t come in a mob go to pubs in Brighton and have a good day, like some of my Palace mates who had a good day, in the ground at 19:00 and were disgusted at the little chavs who have put your club to shame.

I agree with that. My Palace friend said she would rather be in plain clothes, with Brighton fans, than in the away end. She said she would feel safer.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
This is what the letters sent out say :

Dear ******,

I am writing to inform you that, following a review of CCTV footage from the league match against Brighton and Hove Albion on November 28, you will be refused admission to the Amex Stadium for Monday night's FA Cup fixture.

We are letting you know in advance so that you do not waste time and money travelling to Brighton on Monday. We will refund the price of the ticket you bought for the match; please contact the box office to make arrangements.

We appreciate your co-operation in this matter and strongly advise you not to attempt to attend the match to avoid unnecessary problems on the night.

Best regards,

Paul
_________

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Dear ******,

I am writing to inform you that, following a review of CCTV footage from the league match against Brighton and Hove Albion on November 28, you will be refused admission to the Amex Stadium for Monday night's FA Cup fixture.

We are letting you know in advance so that you do not waste time and money travelling to Brighton on Monday. We will refund the price of the ticket you bought for the match; please contact the box office to make arrangements.

We appreciate your co-operation in this matter and strongly advise you not to attempt to attend the match to avoid unnecessary problems on the night.

Best regards,

Paul
_________

No need for ******, just leave 'Dear Dougie,'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Dear ******,

Best regards,

Paul
_________

What a crock of shit. If they are identified as commiting a crime why have they not been arrested?

So if I burgle a house in Croydon (unlikely I know but go with it) and then return to Brighton am I in the clear provided I don’t go and do the same thing again?

If they have identified those that committed criminal offences they should be arrested and given banning orders. Simple.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Dear ******,

Best regards,

Paul
_________

That’s not quite the same as being warned against setting foot in Brighton as per the OP.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What a crock of shit. If they are identified as commiting a crime why have they not been arrested?

So if I burgle a house in Croydon (unlikely I know but go with it) and then return to Brighton am I in the clear provided I don’t go and do the same thing again?

If they have identified those that committed criminal offences they should be arrested and given banning orders. Simple.

It doesn't mention criminality, it just says they have been identified as undesirable and will be refused admission to the Amex (which, as a private place, the club are entitled to do).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Assume Police/CPS think there isn't enough evidence/severity to prosecute so club are exercising their right to refuse admission to those suepecterd of causing disruption. The facial recognition at the turnstiles on Monday is to make sure bearers of these letters don't try to come along anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here