Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock - What we might not know?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perhaps CH doesn’t rate him as a Prem player!!??, not sure what the fuss is all about tbh, he isn’t going to displace Gross is he!

He's been on the bench as an unused sub twice at away games. Why would he be in the 18 man squad if CH doesn't rate him?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Just to be clear, i don't think that Baldock has a particular attitude problem.....however: the OP is partially correct. Baldock did get frustrated in the 2nd half of the season when he was frequently substituted. The 'incident' the OP referred to was the home game v.s. Reading. As he walked off, he did shout 'every f*cking time', but he shook CH's hand and didn't slap it away at all.

He's a very strong character and probably will make it clear that he's not happy to not play. I don't see that as an attitude issue, but a passionate player who wants to play and contribute to the team. It is a difficult situation all round.

Seagulldots

Sep 9, 2017
Slapping Hughtons hand away and implying a bad attitude...and in any case he was out injured in March ..load of old tosh sunshine

It was in November 2016 that the hand slapping away, point/sweary thing happened...Whether or not he's played since...

I simply asked 2 questions (perhaps in not the right way) Does he have an attitude problem or is he not fit? I think he's a good player and would love to see him play. It's very easy to cause offence here I've noticed. Perhaps the initial wording of my thread came across as too bolshy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was in November 2016 that the hand slapping away, point/sweary thing happened...Whether or not he's played since...

I simply asked 2 questions (perhaps in not the right way) Does he have an attitude problem or is he not fit? I think he's a good player and would love to see him play. It's very easy to cause offence here I've noticed. Perhaps the initial wording of my thread came across as too bolshy.

So not the end of last season as you stated and i just don't see how relevant this is.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just to be clear, i don't think that Baldock has a particular attitude problem.....however: the OP is partially correct. Baldock did get frustrated in the 2nd half of the season when he was frequently substituted. The 'incident' the OP referred to was the home game v.s. Reading. As he walked off, he did shout 'every f*cking time', but he shook CH's hand and didn't slap it away at all.

He's a very strong character and probably will make it clear that he's not happy to not play. I don't see that as an attitude issue, but a passionate player who wants to play and contribute to the team. It is a difficult situation all round.

Now that makes sense

Seagulldots

Sep 9, 2017

I remember it being a hand slap away. I had a massive issue with it at the time.

If he's fit and doesn't have an attitude issue who knows as to why, when we need legs, he isn't playing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He was subbed for Chuba.
I'd be insulted if I were subbed for Chuba after 82 minutes, and I would have collapsed on the centre circle shortly after kickoff.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Something is seriously amiss if he can't get even a minutes game time. I think the situation might be complex than we all know but then again Chris might just think he is rubbish but a better alternative to others he has hence naming in the 18 on matchday.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
.....Well ,he will ask for a transfer then ,if he is so unhappy.IMO ,CH only picks attackers,that can and will defend as well. Hemed and Murray actually do that quite well .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont believe this at all as I am sure CH wouldnt have sdanctioned a new contract but if true I would want my players to be annoyed at being subbed as being a better attitude than just accepting it.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
What we might not know is that Baldock buys 'TV Choice' for his weekly TV listings guide whereas Hughton buys the Radio Times.

Poles apart.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I did post this before, but I heard a rumour (and it was only a rumour) that Baldock has had some kind of breakdown due to his injuries, I took this at the time to mean an injury set back, but perhaps it’s psychological?

I've heard ( allegedly) issue with head/mind. If that is the case then I can see why no game time. Sad if true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did post this before, but I heard a rumour (and it was only a rumour) that Baldock has had some kind of breakdown due to his injuries, I took this at the time to mean an injury set back, but perhaps it’s psychological?

IF that was the case why would the club/CH say he was fit when obviously he is not whether it be physically or mentally.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The 'incident' the OP referred to was the home game v.s. Reading. .

He's not, because he said it was in November 2016 when we played either Villa or Fulham. Despite there being no reporting of it, no footage of it and no discussion of it anywhere, let alone on here which lets face it if it happened would have kept NSC going for months. This is a public snubbing of the manager in front of 30K people.

This thread is pretty despicable if you ask me. Another deliberate go at stirring up ill founded rumours and speculation about one of the players who helped us on our way. .

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Is even this true, Brighton were 3-0 up against Reading when Baldock was subbed in the 82nd minute, Murray having already been subbed after 77 mins, so not like he was being picked on as being the striker to sub. Baldock had already scored in the game too.

Personally, I think this is all horse pooh!

Looking further at the stats from the games around that period, we were going through a decent spell where Hughton had the luxury of subbing off both strikers for the final 10 minutes, which again makes the "why me" comment sound even more like bollox.

Last edited:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Is even this true, Brighton were 3-0 up against Reading when Baldock was subbed in the 82nd minute, Murray having already been subbed after 77 mins, so not like he was being picked on as being the striker to sub. Baldock had already scored in the game too.

Personally, I think this is all horse pooh!

Looking further at the stats from the games around that period, we were going through a decent spell where Hughton had the luxury of subbing off both strikers for the final 10 minutes, which again makes the "why me" comment sound even more like bollox.

Yes it is true, i remember seeing it at the time but it was just frustration as he was subbed every game. Just as part of our tactics, nothing sinister.

Reminder: i'm not the OP and have no agenda against Baldock. I'm a big fan. Just saying what happened and i've said several times, it was nothing and there's nothing to see here.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes it is true, i remember seeing it at the time but it was just frustration as he was subbed every game. Just as part of our tactics, nothing sinister.

Reminder: i'm not the OP and have no agenda against Baldock. I'm a big fan. Just saying what happened and i've said several times, it was nothing and there's nothing to see here.

Yes, without any agenda, I remember watching this happen very clearly. It wasn't a huge deal but 100% it happened.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
IF that was the case why would the club/CH say he was fit when obviously he is not whether it be physically or mentally.

No idea BG, as I say it was just something I heard and at the time didn’t pay it any attention......but maybe there is something in it ?
Perhaps the club are saying he is fit.....physically and by getting him involved match day may sort his head out ?
I really don’t know and it could be a load of bollocks !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here