Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What can be done to make midweek games at The Amex less of a pain in the arse?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please do not get me wrong I am not complaining about leaving The Amex in general as my brother who has to been to all of our games this season tells me it is one of the best to get home from but should we not strive to make it even better, if possible. hence my suggestion about B& H buses having a spares with a driver available sitting in the garage at the end of a shift.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I posted earlier people are simply not disciplined enough to make it work as was shown after the Watford game when they tried loading two buses at the same time. It ended up in a mad scramble. People in the queue past the door of the second bus tried to turn around to get on that bus as it was closer than the second one, others pushed past to get on the first bus and people ended up all over the road. The result was that many didn’t get on either bus despite being nearer the front of the queue than those who got on the second bus and it took ages before either bus got away and empty ones pulled in because the road had to be cleared of those who had rushed forward.

Could the stewards have not controlled it and let so many through to the first bus and then directed so many towards the 2nd etc.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Could the stewards have not controlled it and let so many through to the first bus and then directed so many towards the 2nd etc.

As soon as those in the queue saw the doors open on the second bus there was a mad dash for the doors. There is a long way between the front doors of two bendy buses, you would need a line of stewards to prevent the queue from breaking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As soon as those in the queue saw the doors open on the second bus there was a mad dash for the doors. There is a long way between the front doors of two bendy buses, you would need a line of stewards to prevent the queue from breaking.

What about 2 lines of metal crowd barriers like at Brighton station and now used on the approach to the bridge at Falmer station.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What about 2 lines of metal crowd barriers like at Brighton station and now used on the approach to the bridge at Falmer station.

How about patience?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As said on the previous transport thread, that bloody security box might be the greatest security box in the northern hemisphere but it sure as hell isn't fit for purpose on matchdays.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

And how would you feel if you were directed towards the front bus but couldn’t get on yet the hundred people behind you had all got on the second bus. You can’t count the queue because in places it’s 3 across in others it’s 7 or 8 across and don’t forget the security box.

Anyway the current system is generally fine because there is only a queue of buses right after the match, once they are filled then the buses get filled as they return from Mill Road.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Ticket prices have to be lower for this one in order to entice the 'non-hardcore' support. E.g £10 adult, £5 junior and it would have been closer to selling out. This kind of pricing would not be necessary had it not been held on a Monday night just after Xmas and on the TV.

A cup run would be nice but focus is on staying up this year for both sides.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
As far as tomorrow goes, the club could have let it be known that we would put out a full strength squad and would be going all-out to beat Palace. Charging £25 and making it clear that the club aren't bothered effectively says "don't bother, we aren't"

On a related point, are there really grown up people who would't bother because they have to get up early ? Surely one late(ish) night won't kill them, will it ?

Aren`t most still recovering from the expense partying etc of Christmas/New Year.?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

Sometimes it can take me upwards of 7 minutes to get home once I've got out of my car parking space at the University. It's hell.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Please do not get me wrong I am not complaining about leaving The Amex in general as my brother who has to been to all of our games this season tells me it is one of the best to get home from but should we not strive to make it even better, if possible. hence my suggestion about B& H buses having a spares with a driver available sitting in the garage at the end of a shift.

Firstly, if more buses left at the same time then there would be more cars queuing to leave Mill Road at the same time and that would probably delay the buses getting back to the Amex. As it works at the moment there is a steady flow rather than all at once. Where I think they could improve would be to have the metal barriers going further back towards the Amex for the respective queues and also for the Racecourse where the stewards seem oblivious to people pushing in.

Better signage would help bearing in mind we have been here 7 years and we still have individuals holding a sign and shouting out!!

And finally, perhaps the stewards should make sure that any ********s who get on the bus first actually move to the back and don't just stand in the aisle in the first section of the bus!!! They sometimes seem to get quite narked as we barge past them towards the space at the back!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A secondary transport hub at, say, the Hikers' Rest for those who are able to walk a bit further?. Reduced prices at the bars from half an hour after the whistle to encourage people to stay longer before joining the train and bus queues? A zipwire from WSU to Mithras House?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Employ a transport manager.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Firstly, if more buses left at the same time then there would be more cars queuing to leave Mill Road at the same time and that would probably delay the buses getting back to the Amex. As it works at the moment there is a steady flow rather than all at once. Where I think they could improve would be to have the metal barriers going further back towards the Amex for the respective queues and also for the Racecourse where the stewards seem oblivious to people pushing in.

Better signage would help bearing in mind we have been here 7 years and we still have individuals holding a sign and shouting out!!

And finally, perhaps the stewards should make sure that any ********s who get on the bus first actually move to the back and don't just stand in the aisle in the first section of the bus!!! They sometimes seem to get quite narked as we barge past them towards the space at the back!

Even filling 3 buses at the same time wouldnt mean they all leave at the same time. There will always be a few seconds perhaps 30 between each so that the first leaving would go up Mill Rd first then in sequence so the cars wouldnt come into it any more than they do now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here