Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What can be done to make midweek games at The Amex less of a pain in the arse?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No I did say spare buses in the garage rthat would obviously include a driver who had some time left on his hours even if it was only 30 mins to do 1 trip. 4 such trips would have cleared the numbers of people at the stop. Or even the service 28 or 29 not decided to put up the not in service sign as it approached the stop. Had they gone from the garage to Falmer and back to the garage that would have got people on to a greater choice of buses and solved the problem.

Why would there be spare buses with a driver on a bank holiday twiddling thumbs. If there was, the duty manager has got his resourcing seriously wrong and his bosses may not have been happy or the drivers who could have been home playing happy families, or even been to a game on their day off.

Sorry BG but on a NYD I would have expected a minimum service and expected a delay getting home and may, just, may have thought about another way to and from the ground.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only ever play early on New Years Day.

Shirley not even the laziest of small-minded selfish oafs could complain about the transport v Bournemouth!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No I did say spare buses in the garage rthat would obviously include a driver who had some time left on his hours even if it was only 30 mins to do 1 trip. 4 such trips would have cleared the numbers of people at the stop. Or even the service 28 or 29 not decided to put up the not in service sign as it approached the stop. Had they gone from the garage to Falmer and back to the garage that would have got people on to a greater choice of buses and solved the problem.

So you expect the bus company to pay double time for a driver to sit around in case he's needed. How much more does the club have to pay to provide transport for the fans?

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
For me personally go back to the Wednesday afternoon kick offs when it was half day closing in the shops. Wouldnt be very popular with most other people though.

Probably cant be done but run a train every 15 minuites Brighton>Falmer>Lewes>Falmer>Brighjton from 9.45 for `1 hour.to clear the crowds. also Buses Falmer to The Old Steine non stop then back again for the same period of time. Once in the town travel home is easier.

I suppose an afternoon game would be perfect for you BG as you'd be home well in time to catch an episode of The Archers at 7pm.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree with most although the traffic in Brighton is dire and the lack of parking is a big problem unless you use the park and ride.Problem is that most who don't go to midweek games probably don't live in Brighton and to be frank I've did it twice in midweek and it's a bloody joke.

Of course you can find many more positives especially if you live locally but for many who don't it's a bloody mare :)

Never lived within 20 miles of Brighton. You could park in Lewes, pay at the ground, or do as I do pay at the parking (private hard standing) on the A27 east of the ground. I walk back to the car 10mins drive up the slip road at Falmer go back the other way towards Lewes and it takes no more than 15 mins including the walk.

The private parking is always busy but I pay per season so have a space every game, I been there since the first season. I sourced this myself, I pay for the convenience, doing so means less strain on the club, I need not miss a game. Some might say I've organised my own needs and found a solution a bit of blue sky thinking all without the need to bother others, the club and without the need of a safety net.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I suppose an afternoon game would be perfect for you BG as you'd be home well in time to catch an episode of The Archers at 7pm.

Doesn't matter what time he gets home he still posts throughout the night #sleepposting

D

Deleted User X18H

Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

The Amex is in Brighton. Always

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Don't think it has been mentioned but going by the Brailsford Theory of Marginal Gains, how about 7.30 kick-offs (unless a Friday Night)?

The end of a 7.45 match does make it a little bit tight for some connections across Sussex...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Tickets sales for Monday just go to show the FA Crap does not have the appeal of years ago.

Agree and also all those moaning about not being able to get tickets for home games, here's a perfect occasion and shock horror they disappear from the threads.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't think it has been mentioned but going by the Brailsford Theory of Marginal Gains, how about 7.30 kick-offs (unless a Friday Night)?

The end of a 7.45 match does make it a little bit tight for some connections across Sussex...

The problem with that solution is that it creates difficulty at the other end. I.e. for those who either finish late or do not live in Brighton, it may well put off thousands who would be cutting it fine to get there for the start of the match.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No. I'm a fan, so if I want to go, I make the effort. I can't be bothered to make the effort on Monday as it's a nothing match.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would there be spare buses with a driver on a bank holiday twiddling thumbs. If there was, the duty manager has got his resourcing seriously wrong and his bosses may not have been happy or the drivers who could have been home playing happy families, or even been to a game on their day off.

Sorry BG but on a NYD I would have expected a minimum service and expected a delay getting home and may, just, may have thought about another way to and from the ground.

Coukld be that they have a shift that still had a lttle time left on it as I said earlier even 30 mins as they may have been on another route like 2 or 12 and the times do not entirely co incide with their hours of work or they may have reserve drivers in the garage in case of emergency I do n ot know. I wouldnt have thought that all drivers were fully employed for their entire shift. Why should BHA pay more for such a service as each ticket is recognised and presumably paid for irrespective of which bus is used., plus it would help them get their bus service back to normal ASAP.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Coukld be that they have a shift that still had a lttle time left on it as I said earlier even 30 mins as they may have been on another route like 2 or 12 and the times do not entirely co incide with their hours of work or they may have reserve drivers in the garage in case of emergency I do n ot know. I wouldnt have thought that all drivers were fully employed for their entire shift. Why should BHA pay more for such a service as each ticket is recognised and presumably paid for irrespective of which bus is used., plus it would help them get their bus service back to normal ASAP.

Oh BG please ..........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was only a suggestion remembering when Southdown ran a service and on busy routes and occasions like cricket at Arundel castle ran a relief no 9 or 10.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting that Monday is more of a ballsache than other mid week games.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As the whole point of privatisation of the railways was to introduce competition on every line - would there be a case for the Albion to run their own trains at all? And maybe build a couple of sidings at Falmer so that trains can sit there waiting ready to take the first load of fans away. All a bit fantasy land - but surely there is a way to run constant trains between Brighton & Lewes at match times? Could the trains be longer?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Are you suggesting that Monday is more of a ballsache than other mid week games.
To be fair, although in theory it isn't, it does feel like it as just back to work from a weekend off. Also, Monday night football is generally shit teams on tv...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here