Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool v Everton 're Holgate

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He may wish he had been booked. Without a booking, is it possible that he can get a retrospective ban?

The ref dealt with it so they cannot review. I thought it was at least a yellow card. Clear shove and dangerous play.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
(in Spanish-speaking countries or parts of America) a prostitute or promiscuous woman

(Holgate is obviously far better educated than I thought - apparently he's fluent in Portuguese !)

He must have watched Narcos then. It was every other word.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How is it not a penalty? Lallana has turned him and is running onto the ball, Holgate is holding him back. It's a clear and obvious foul, I'm amazed that people would have even the slightest doubt. Much like the Hazard dive on wednesday against Arsenal, there was no contact, it was a pathetic dive and that should be clear to all of the people who have seen it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
How is it not a penalty? Lallana has turned him and is running onto the ball, Holgate is holding him back. It's a clear and obvious foul, I'm amazed that people would have even the slightest doubt. Much like the Hazard dive on wednesday against Arsenal, there was no contact, it was a pathetic dive and that should be clear to all of the people who have seen it.

Holding him back? Not a chance. He simply puts his arm out, makes the slightest of contact, and Lallana throws himself to the ground. You are allowed to touch people in football you know. If that's a penalty then there should be a penalty every single time there is a corner. Never a penalty. Five of the ex pros on BBC thought it wasn't a penalty - one thought it was (because you have to expect that these days apparently). I think when the referee watches that again he'll be really disappointed in himself.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Holding him back? Not a chance. He simply puts his arm out, makes the slightest of contact, and Lallana throws himself to the ground. You are allowed to touch people in football you know. If that's a penalty then there should be a penalty every single time there is a corner. Never a penalty. Five of the ex pros on BBC thought it wasn't a penalty - one thought it was. I think when the referee watches that again he'll be really disappointed in himself.

Bruno would give away a penalty nearly every opposition corner. Rarely fails to get a bear hug going on.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Van Dijk just paid his fee back.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
After giving it the 2-0 finger signs to the north stand at the Liverpool game I hope Firmino smashed his stupid white teeth on the electronic hoardings.:tosser:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Holding him back? Not a chance. He simply puts his arm out, makes the slightest of contact, and Lallana throws himself to the ground. You are allowed to touch people in football you know. If that's a penalty then there should be a penalty every single time there is a corner. Never a penalty. Five of the ex pros on BBC thought it wasn't a penalty - one thought it was (because you have to expect that these days apparently). I think when the referee watches that again he'll be really disappointed in himself.

No, definitely not. He's prevented Lallana from running onto it, it's a clear and obvious foul. Great decision by the referee to play the advantage, and then to give the penalty when nothing came of it. Contact is fine, and if Lallana were holding it up, there's no foul. But he's spun Holgate and gone in behind, he's playing the ball if Holgate isn't holding him away from it. It's naive defending, Keown called it in commentary and there's an opinion to listen to when it comes to defending.

I thought the referee got that spot on, and then his handling of the flashpoint with Firmino and Holgate was spot on as well, strong refereeing and kept a lid on it without overreacting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here