Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When people watch tv in SD when they can watch in HD !!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Opticians don't test vision in SD or HD. There is also the theory (which I think is right) that women can't tell the difference. I know I can't.

My wife couldn't at first, but she now grudgingly admits she can see a 'very very slight difference'. Not enough to make her switch channels though, she'll quite happily watch BBC1 in SD, whereas for me it looks almost like old-fashioned analogue CRT 405 lines. Maybe it is more of a bloke thing.

O/T - who remembers the effects of the CRT raster rate when TVs shown on TV (like a news report from a newspaper office or the stock exchange) would have a big black line slowly going up them? Or when things like wheels on wagons in Westerns appeared to go backwards?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems as contentious an issue as early leavers on here.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Great shout DR, whenever I'm in Argos they always have it on in there and it always makes me laugh when Lingard's goal goes in :lolol:

Yep, a classic moment! They show either that, or some girl with a Labrador - no brainer which one I'll be watching!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can confirm my wife can tell the difference....

My wife couldn't at first, but she now grudgingly admits she can see a 'very very slight difference'. Not enough to make her switch channels though, she'll quite happily watch BBC1 in SD, whereas for me it looks almost like old-fashioned analogue CRT 405 lines. Maybe it is more of a bloke thing.

O/T - who remembers the effects of the CRT raster rate when TVs shown on TV (like a news report from a newspaper office or the stock exchange) would have a big black line slowly going up them? Or when things like wheels on wagons in Westerns appeared to go backwards?

Maybe it's an age thing, as eyes deteriorate from 45 onwards. I never needed glasses until I got to that age, then it was only reading glasses.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe it's an age thing, as eyes deteriorate from 45 onwards. I never needed glasses until I got to that age, then it was only reading glasses.

I'm 60! :) I never needed glasses either, but I do use reading ones now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you must be able to tell the difference in HD ?.... if not then may I suggest some new specs !

I genuinely couldn't tell the difference a year ago, but I was also squinting at everything from my laptop to my phone and could not read the instructions or ingredients on anything. One trip to the opticians later and suddenly I can read stuff, games at the Amex have taken on a new depth and my telly is permanently tuned to the HD channels. Happy days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had a big argument with the wife on NYE about it. She wanted to watch the fireworks at midnight, and turned the tv over to bbc 1 but SD. I said why have you done that when you can watch in HD. Anyway, she finally gives me the remote, by this point it is about 5 seconds to midnight, I forget the channel number for bbc 1 HD, end up flicking it on ITV4 HD, finally get it right and she has a go at me. Spent the first few minutes of 2018 in an argument about HD and SD. Happy New Year!

You should go out. Everyone at the party I was at was so fannied no one could find the remote.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The only things I bother with in HD are the things where I feel it actually adds to the experience. This tends to be football, nature programs (Blue Planet etc) and things with nice scenery (Countryfile etc). Other than that I stick with the SD because of the ball-ache of having to change channel when the local news comes on.

For some programs it just doesn't make any difference - eg chat shows - why do I need to see every wrinkle on some old crone's face?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Something that annoys me is on Sky if you have the HD package (which I assume most people do these days) then they will swap their channel numbers around so the HD channels come first. For example the sports channels 401-409 will be the HD version if you pay for it and the SD version if not. Why can't the historic terrestrial channels do this? Why do I have to go to 115 for BBC 1, 178 (I think) for ITV and 227 for Ch4 when the SD channels sit there at 101, 103 and 104 respectively?? BBC2 being the odd one out as the HD channel is at 102 almost like its mocking us!

First world problems I know but it does grind my gears!

Whilst I'm having a moan on this subject why can't the local BBC news be broadcast in HD in this day and age?

Technically it can but it's down to cost.

There are something like 15 different variations of BBC One. Most of the regional news studios would need to be upgraded to HD.

Then you've got to work out how to get both an HD and SD version of every 15 of the BBC Ones onto Sky and Freeview. BBC pay Sky to have their channel on there - not the other way round.

When channels are broadcast different countries (or regions) can take a different programme - it's known as an "opt out". This is usually dealt by the local re-broadcaster.

So one signal comes down from the satellite to a cable operator - and the cable operator inserts a different programme. You may also be tuned to a different transmitter. So my BBC 1 SD is different from yours.
But Sky broadcast directly to your home - there is no mechanism to opt out.

The solution I'd imagine will involve the internet.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Technically it can but it's down to cost.

There are something like 15 different variations of BBC One. Most of the regional news studios would need to be upgraded to HD.

Then you've got to work out how to get both an HD and SD version of every 15 of the BBC Ones onto Sky and Freeview. BBC pay Sky to have their channel on there - not the other way round.

When channels are broadcast different countries (or regions) can take a different programme - it's known as an "opt out". This is usually dealt by the local re-broadcaster.

So one signal comes down from the satellite to a cable operator - and the cable operator inserts a different programme. You may also be tuned to a different transmitter. So my BBC 1 SD is different from yours.
But Sky broadcast directly to your home - there is no mechanism to opt out.

The solution I'd imagine will involve the internet.

Fair enough. But surely in this day an age most people will have HD capability so it makes more sense to have the HD channels first then the SD channels out in the wilds of the higher numbers??

I take on your argument about BBC1 and ITV having regional news but what is Channel 4s excuse (and maybe channel 5 as well.....can't say I've watched anything on channel 5 since the lost the Europa league).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fair enough. But surely in this day an age most people will have HD capability so it makes more sense to have the HD channels first then the SD channels out in the wilds of the higher numbers??

I take on your argument about BBC1 and ITV having regional news but what is Channel 4s excuse (and maybe channel 5 as well.....can't say I've watched anything on channel 5 since the lost the Europa league).

Are you talking about channel numbers ?

Talk to Sky - the produce the EPG :)

BBC, ITV, C4 and Channel 5 are

101, 102, 103 and 104 on Freeview HD.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Best way to spot the difference is to watch Huw Edwards or other news presenters in SD and then swap over to HD.

I guarantee you will be scared witless by the amount of lines that you then see on their faces and in Huw's case also the unearthly colour of his eyes. Truly worthy of a horror film. SD is so much kinder to them.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I can think of one thing worse... watching adverts on a program you've recorded! Always realising as soon as the adverts end, of course!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
you must be able to tell the difference in HD ?.... if not then may I suggest some new specs !

New specs? Pah!

New tele might make a difference, but I couldn't give a stuff (come to think of it, I've never bought a new tele; see no reason to start now!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Opticians don't test vision in SD or HD. There is also the theory (which I think is right) that women can't tell the difference. I know I can't.

Yes but, ahem, your eyeballs have been round the block a few times.....:bowdown::wink::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here