Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Diesel prices-
Brighton £1.22
Lewes By Pass £1.20
Uckfield £1.20
Crowborough £1.21
Tunbridge Wells £1.29
Why so expensive, especially when there are two stations right next to each other. Do they agree a price between them (which is illegal).

Diesel prices-
Brighton £1.22
Lewes By Pass £1.20
Uckfield £1.20
Crowborough £1.21
Tunbridge Wells £1.29
Why so expensive, especially when there are two stations right next to each other. Do they agree a price between them (which is illegal).

Because it is posh, although it is a constant source of mirth to many that it is still bereft of a Waitrose. Even Edenbridge and Paddock Wood have Waitrose stores.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Because it is posh, although it is a constant source of mirth to many that it is still bereft of a Waitrose. Even Edenbridge and Paddock Wood have Waitrose stores.

It has a Poundland, mind...

It has a Poundland, mind...

Very true, plus an Iceland and Superdrug. But any true Wellsian (born and bred me but emigrated to East Sussex in '95) would send their staff to shop at "....those sort of stores where those sort of people shop...".

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
....and a Wilkos. The demand for all these stores must come from the servants.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When the army of the Republic of Sussex march into Tunbridge Wells and take it back, I do feel reducing their petrol prices to SENSIBLE Sussex levels should be the first thing we do.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Saw 1.39 for unleaded on the M5 last week :smokin:

Its bizarre isn't it. They are usually empty as a result. I cant understand the economics of this. It reduces the efficiency of the motorway networks too with most people leaving the motorway to find fuel increasing the congestion at the junctions.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There is an Esso towards the bottom of TW (just after the Sainsburys round-a-bout) which is always mega expensive, was 125.9 for unleaded last week. Ignoring the Boars Head the first filling station you get to in Crowborough is also an Esso now and it was 121.9. Are these franchises that set their own prices? 4p a litre seems a lot for going 6 miles down the road.

I fill up in London these day as it is always cheaper than around here. Paid 116.7 at Greenwich on Wednesday.

Stop press ..... one of the TW Facebook pages I follow has just posted that (I assume) one of the two garages mentioned in the initial post is to allegedly close shortly and reopen as a Waitrose - still with a petrol station attached. It will have 14 parking spaces :) so it will be a bit like expecting a box of top of the range chocolates and end up with some unbranded ones from a £1 shop. At least you should be able to get a free coffee with your overpriced fuel.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Additionally to expensive petrol and lack of Waitroses, Royal Tunbridge Wells is also home to the worst Wetherspoons anywhere - FACT.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stop press ..... one of the TW Facebook pages I follow has just posted that (I assume) one of the two garages mentioned in the initial post is to allegedly close shortly and reopen as a Waitrose - still with a petrol station attached. It will have 14 parking spaces :) so it will be a bit like expecting a box of top of the range chocolates and end up with some unbranded ones from a £1 shop. At least you should be able to get a free coffee with your overpriced fuel.

Plus a free Mail or Telegraph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here