Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson out on loan Hughton says - does that make sense ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brentford. We got Stephens from Charlton, and have sold JFC there.

There is some 'history' there for sure. I forget what it stems from? There was a game a few years ago where Tony B gave Griffin Park a swerve, supposedly due to this issue. Didn't he stand on the terrace there too last season if I remember correctly?
My mistake. Thanks for putting me right (without flaming me!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is some 'history' there for sure. I forget what it stems from? There was a game a few years ago where Tony B gave Griffin Park a swerve, supposedly due to this issue. Didn't he stand on the terrace there too last season if I remember correctly?

Business rivals, or worked together on a business venture that didn't work out I think. They both have similar businesses and backgrounds in the gaming / gambling markets I think.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
just a passing thought as we are trying to sign a CB as 4th choice to cover Goldson going out on loan how about bringing Tommy Elphick back, he wouldnt be expensive but could he do the job if needed to be brought in?

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
CARTER-VICKERS JOINS IPSWICH

Tottenham centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers has joined Ipswich Town on loan for the rest of the season

He was recently recalled from a loan at Sheffield United, where he was not getting a great deal of game time.

Where will Connor go now?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
When Goldson played against Watford he was given MOM and quite possibly deserved it . Of course he needs game time but he'll surely get that naturally as the season progresses . Hughton states he's to go out on loan and if he does we 'll get someone in as cover for him !! What a complete waste of time - he's proved he's good enough for the Premier league and we'll need him fit and uninjured when the time comes . We 've just spent a year of time and money getting him fit - and now off he goes to play somewhere else . Personally I'd play him anyway as his distribution was excellent ..

Seems a bizarre way to go - on this basis all cover players should go out on loan .

Concentrate on getting a striker and save Goldson for the latter part of the season as we'll probably need him.

Couldn't agree more...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Tottenham centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers has joined Ipswich Town on loan for the rest of the season

He was recently recalled from a loan at Sheffield United, where he was not getting a great deal of game time.

Beat me to it. Good question!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
just a passing thought as we are trying to sign a CB as 4th choice to cover Goldson going out on loan how about bringing Tommy Elphick back, he wouldn't be expensive but could he do the job if needed to be brought in?
Yes, I'd go along with that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hang on!

We are shipping out Goldson who has been superb when he has been called on this season to replace him with a (currently) unidentified CB who doesn't know the other players, our training methods, the way we play etc.

Then the answer is no. That makes no sense at all.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Goldson should go straight into the first team replacing Duffy who needs to have a break.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hang on!

We are shipping out Goldson who has been superb when he has been called on this season to replace him with a (currently) unidentified CB who doesn't know the other players, our training methods, the way we play etc.

But what about Goldson's development. Hughton clearly believes that Dunk and Duffy are the best pairing and so Goldson is going to get limited opportunities. Apparently Goldson has asked to go on loan to get regular football so, if we can get a replacement in, of course it makes sense. Otherwise you are impacting the development of one of our players.

And, if Goldson does well, he will have a good chance of being first choice next year if Dunk leaves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think his loan to Ipswich has fallen through as they have just taken a CB from Spurs on loan until the end of the season Carter-Vickers, unless CG is going to another club.

ps Sorry didnt read previous page.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tommy Elphick is reportedly on £50k per week at Aston Villa! So, that's a no.

We should keep Goldson and he should be in the team, I like big Shane but he's not been performing and Goldson was fantastic against Watford. He totally nullified Gray, he's a strong guy who is quick and can play a pass. He should have kept his place in the side on merit, Shane hasn't done much wrong and our defence isn't our biggest problem but why not give Goldson a run?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hang on!

Except that that is exactly what Hughton said on Sky Sports News that we were trying to do. The Ipswich option looks as if it might have hit the buffers - perhaps they couldn't wait for a decision, or wouldn't wait until we had all the links in the chain in place.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm still amazed that people are ignoring the fact that Goldson has spent a year out, pretty much without competitive football and has no guarantee or real chance of getting that with us at the moment but want to keep him around. Given his fitness / focus it is absolutely necessary he goes out on loan if indeed he is going to be a 'Dunk' replacement

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
When Goldson played against Watford he was given MOM and quite possibly deserved it . Of course he needs game time but he'll surely get that naturally as the season progresses . Hughton states he's to go out on loan and if he does we 'll get someone in as cover for him !! What a complete waste of time - he's proved he's good enough for the Premier league and we'll need him fit and uninjured when the time comes . We 've just spent a year of time and money getting him fit - and now off he goes to play somewhere else . Personally I'd play him anyway as his distribution was excellent ..

Seems a bizarre way to go - on this basis all cover players should go out on loan .

Concentrate on getting a striker and save Goldson for the latter part of the season as we'll probably need him.

None whatsoever. Madness

He might be better than Duffy but if not, should be on our bench...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Needs minutes in the pitch not on the bench.

Good move if we can get a decent stand in.

He'll probably still have a choice of Championship options even without Ipswich.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tommy Elphick is reportedly on £50k per week at Aston Villa! So, that's a no.

We should keep Goldson and he should be in the team, I like big Shane but he's not been performing and Goldson was fantastic against Watford. He totally nullified Gray, he's a strong guy who is quick and can play a pass. He should have kept his place in the side on merit, Shane hasn't done much wrong and our defence isn't our biggest problem but why not give Goldson a run?

Would Tommy possibly take a cut in wages to return home with the chance of possibly playing in the Premier especially as he is still only 30. As regards Goldson is it not feasible that he could replace Dunk who has not shown his true ability for many games now. and has been as responsible for the set play cock ups as Duffy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here