Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson out on loan Hughton says - does that make sense ?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Just hope BFG plays as well as Connor did when he steps in for Dunk or Duffy. Hope Skalak plays better v Palace than he did v Barnet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've really got to be a bit special if you think a 25 year old who has played only 30 league games since August 15 wouldn't be better served playing week in week out in the Championship.

After the striker debacle not get Connor off to Ipswich has to be the biggest cock up of the last transfer window.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm with you re Skalak, and remember that Baldock has also played in a wide position during the early games of CH, but I do wonder whether it's worth getting rid at this point without a (superior) replacement. We've got enough cover in that area as you've identified to wait to see if we can get someone in at a decent price.

True - but given cover we have, would much prefer to get rid and bring in 2 strikers instead (easier said than done I know)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He was fabulous when he played last time out and he was more of a threat from set pieces (which was surprising). Get him a good club and a recall option.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Loaning him out is great, I would insist on an immediate recall if required though.

I don’t think there’s been any such thing for a couple of seasons. Loans start and end in transfer windows. If a club needs the player back, tough. Goalkeepers may be the only exception.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think he is a better footballer than Duffy but not as big an animal. He needs to be playing at a high level to get him up to strength and experience of playing at a high level. I can’t recall how much he has played at championship/premier level but it’s not a lot. I think he has a great future with us.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That sounds like we are not about to lose Dunk, so I took that as rather encouraging news.

If Goldson spends 5 months playing every week in The Championship, then he comes back a better player than if he spends that time watching from our bench.

Immediate recall would be important though.

I agree, but with immediate recall why the need to get someone else in? He clearly is good enough to play in the Prem, and it will be shocking to not need him for suspension and injury, but game time is in his development interest.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
No such recall option is possible - as we can only recall in transfer windows - and also, if he went out on loan, he wouldn't be included in our squad of 25 - therefore unable to play even if we could recall him.

Seems to make complete sense !

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Is everyone forgetting that the fella had a major operation not long ago? I suspect he wants to see how he holds up playing each week and to keep improving too, as it was not too long ago that he made a step up to the championship. This is a sensible move from the club - give a young and developing defender the games neccesary to improve and gauge his capabilities at a level he has proved himself at, whilst not ‘risking’ counting on him as a backup (Incase he struggles physically or mentally post op) and keeping him happy in the meantime.

Makes perfect sense to me.

He is the same age as Dunk and Duffy.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I wish him the best. He’s been generally excellent whenever he’s played for us and must be shocked he’s not playing much more regularly. I know I am.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
That sounds like we are not about to lose Dunk, so I took that as rather encouraging news.

If Goldson spends 5 months playing every week in The Championship, then he comes back a better player than if he spends that time watching from our bench.

Immediate recall would be important though.

To me it suggests Dunk will be gone in the summer. Goldson gets game time between now and the end of the season, we cash in on Dunk and Goldson if sustains a high level drops into our first squad.

Not sure what the rule is on recalls on loans? It only takes a couple of injuries and then we are screwed... these things happen (and definitely to the likes of us)!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To me it suggests Dunk will be gone in the summer. Goldson gets game time between now and the end of the season, we cash in on Dunk and Goldson if sustains a high level drops into our first squad.

Not sure what the rule is on recalls on loans? It only takes a couple of injuries and then we are screwed... these things happen (and definitely to the likes of us)!

No recalls allowed - loan has to be for minimum half season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Its just player development. The club wanted to do it in the summer. Dunk could not be here or available at any time (sold, a bad injury) or he could stay long term (another season in the prem, eng call up). But whether he's staying or going , Goldson still needs game time regardless of what Dunk ends up doing. That will only happen at the moment elsewhere and if Dunk went we'd need another CB to replace him in addition to Goldson, Uwe and Duffy. One who might end up being first choice ahead of Goldson anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I wish him the best. He’s been generally excellent whenever he’s played for us and must be shocked he’s not playing much more regularly. I know I am.

Why would he be shocked ?
Dunk and Duffy were Hughton's first choices last season. What have they done this season, some rare failings at setpieces aside, to warrent being dropped. If anything they've impressed even more. He knows he has to leave to get games.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is everyone forgetting that the fella had a major operation not long ago? I suspect he wants to see how he holds up playing each week and to keep improving too, as it was not too long ago that he made a step up to the championship. This is a sensible move from the club - give a young and developing defender the games neccesary to improve and gauge his capabilities at a level he has proved himself at, whilst not ‘risking’ counting on him as a backup (Incase he struggles physically or mentally post op) and keeping him happy in the meantime.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Dunk is just one year older than Goldson, so he's not so young (in footballing terms).

The medical reason, and Dunk's excellence have held him back, so he wants to be playing regularly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here