Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

Are negative tactics killing the Premier League?

0 Not allowed!
    Inspired by last night's West Ham game and a chat on Twitter with my Man City mate, do people think that the PL brand is now being harmed by the number of teams in the bottom half setting out purely to stifle the top 6?

Last night's game was AWFUL and we did similar up at Wembley, just to lesser effect. Has so much money been poured in to this league that teams will now do anything to stay in it, including ruining the very product the money pays for?

I think YES. I'm not going to put a POLL though, because I know it annoys @Harry Wilson's Tackle
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Inspired by last night's West Ham game and a chat on Twitter with my Man City mate, do people think that the PL brand is now being harmed by the number of teams in the bottom half setting out purely to stifle the top 6?

Last night's game was AWFUL and we did similar up at Wembley, just to lesser effect. Has so much money been poured in to this league that teams will now do anything to stay in it, including ruining the very product the money pays for?

I think YES. I'm not going to put a POLL though, because I know it annoys @Harry Wilson's Tackle
      Yes. Compare last night's game to, say, ours v Bournemouth where both teams appeared to want to win. Top 6 v Top 6, and bottom 14 v bottom 14 are generally OK, but not T6 v B14 usually....................... ...
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

2 Not allowed!

Jonathan Wilson's recent article on this is typically good (and persuasive).

Edit - https://www.theguardian.com/football...anchester-city
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Some teams appear happy just not to get slaughtered by the big clubs, the aim is to try for a 0-0 but if this isn't possible try not to concede too many. Not just the PL though, you see it all the time in internationals with the smaller clubs, even when they are losing, with 10 men behind the ball.

In the PL it is probably fine for a season or two but after a while fans will become bored of it and not attend. I saw West Brom matches against both Manchester clubs on MOTD and there were loads of empty seats.
      Members
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

0 Not allowed!

It would annoy me too!

It has taken us so long (and other clubs as well) to get to this level that it is understandable for new and current struggling teams to play safety first. Having said that I've enjoyed our stay in the Premier League despite the fact that it's more important not to lose rather than go for the win. Newcastle away being that example. As many people have commented - "Enjoy the ride!"

3 Not allowed!
      IS it really any different to us last year in the championship when you think of the teams that parked the bus at the amex
      Become a fan of Northstandchat Dogs Syndicate and follow @NSCGreyhounds on Twitter

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      IS it really any different to us last year in the championship when you think of the teams that parked the bus at the amex
      Or all the other years in all the divisions?

It is now the media has decided it's a thing.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      I suppose the only real difference is the vast sums of money Sky ( and it's subscribers) are paying to be entertained. I wonder how long the gravy train will last whilst continually putting on 'one sided' and totally defensive football matches ?
      "After an investigation, Crystal Palace have been docked points for cheating." -Playforyourclub.com

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Or all the other years in all the divisions?

It is now the media has decided it's a thing.
      The dominance of certain teams has increased. That's backed up by the stats and our eyes.
      Steve Foster (my Lord)

3 Not allowed!
      This is as a result of football bodies not properly dealing with the situation of a very few teams buying the league in various countries apart from imposing fair play which doesn't seem to work.When you have the lower prem sides,especially the newly promoted ones who haven't had zillions in Prem money yet,playing zillionaires like City then how are they supposed to compete?They will play for a draw or as is the growing fashion rest key players for the league games they think they can win.The more money the few rich big teams spend,the worse the situation will get.The media should shut up and realise the small teams are just being realistic because they have been forced to be so.