Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cut ticket prices for a better atmosphere

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Are you suggesting a 'tiered' home ticket price depending how many games you went to and when? Otherwise these 'cheap' tickets will be for JCLs, old-timers and medium term fans alike now the more attractive matches are in town.

I'm not, no. My comment on the fans previously supporting clubs financially was a general one.

In my opinion there should be a cap on ticket prices to make football affordable for all, particularly the younger generations. I would say £20 would be fair.

This would have a minimal impact on the clubs' revenue, and even less so with the future TV deals.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Like most things, the aim is to squeeze as much money out of us as possible

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Cutting ticket prices across the board is not the answer. All it would do is diminish the value of the product. Season tickets averaging £35 a game are perfectly reasonable, and stack up well compared to many other forms of entertainment. By all means clubs should offer cheap tickets for one-off games that might otherwise be unattractive though - Spurs had "just" 46,000 for our game there, which is only half full. Surely a Tuesday night just before Christmas against less attractive opposition like us was ripe for ticket price reductions.

This, however, I do agree with, and to be fair, our club have done an excellent job in making it happen. Family stand tickets for kids under 10 cost absolutely buttons and they're not remotely expensive for anyone under 18. It's not as if the atmosphere in the family stand is bad either.

£35 may be reasonable to old timers but the twenty somethings and working class can't afford it.

It also shouldn't be compared to other forms of entertainment. 30,000 people dont go to the theatre week in week out. The closest example for visits per year would be the cinema for many. That is more like £10 a go and people complain about that price.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£35 may be reasonable to old timers but the twenty somethings and working class can't afford it.

It also shouldn't be compared to other forms of entertainment. 30,000 people dont go to the theatre week in week out. The closest example for visits per year would be the cinema for many. That is more like £10 a go and people complain about that price.
Fair point, I guess. Maybe the price point should be £20-25?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't forget Traval for some fans is included in the ticket price maybe we should reduce the price for those that travel from outside the free zone.?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What has struck me in the Premier League is the sheer uncessary number of stewards that clubs have. Chelsea for example, when they scored loads filed out in front of us as if we where all going to charge the field. I know clubs get thousands of pounds from TV money but no wonder ticket prices are so high to pay hundreads of uncessary people.

And what's so wrong is that the occasional streaker makes for both a great boost in atmosphere and loads of youtube clicks, further increasing PL brand-awareness and all that cr@p. A little bit of fun like that should be loosely/unofficially tolerated by the clubs and league. In fact... one streaker per club per season should be a requirement!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Huddersfield got it spectacularly right when they decided unilaterally to follow this advice.

Their ground appears to be packed for every game with fans (probably significantly younger and more working class than the PL average) who either followed them in the Championship or were quickest off the mark (without finance being a significant barrier to entry) to get STs for this season.

At The Amex we are limited now with what is possible from where we are. Ideal would be something like having an extra new 1,000 season tickets (to add to those already qualifying which wouldn't be many) that are available at a very cheap price to people between 21 and 30 on below average incomes.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Clubs have done everything they can to attract new middle class supporters, supporters who are willing to pay extra for comfortable seats, special pies etc. Clubs love these new supporters because they rarely do anything wrong and, most importantly, spend money. It comes at a price though as these new fans are less likely to be boisterous, will leave if things are not going well and are very unlikely to attend if the rugger in on the TV.

I'd equate it to a boozer that had a number of regulars who have been going for years but only just surviving. New owners come in and turn it into a gastropub which the old regulars can't afford (or don't want) to drink in but the new regulars love mainly because the old regulars aren't there any more.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Cutting ticket prices across the board is not the answer. All it would do is diminish the value of the product. Season tickets averaging £35 a game are perfectly reasonable, and stack up well compared to many other forms of entertainment. By all means clubs should offer cheap tickets for one-off games that might otherwise be unattractive though - Spurs had "just" 46,000 for our game there, which is only half full. Surely a Tuesday night just before Christmas against less attractive opposition like us was ripe for ticket price reductions.

This, however, I do agree with, and to be fair, our club have done an excellent job in making it happen. Family stand tickets for kids under 10 cost absolutely buttons and they're not remotely expensive for anyone under 18. It's not as if the atmosphere in the family stand is bad either.

I'm sure you are kidding.Firstly,when you talk about a one off event,supporting a football team is not a one off event.It's at at least 20 one off events in one season.That's alot of money.Not everyone has a season ticket so tickets are more expensive.I paid £55 for the city game for me and £30 for my 8 year old son.Then you have the parents who might want to take 2/3 kids.Yes ticket prices are way too expensive.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Kids are the supporters of tomorrow.Small teams like Brighton have to work hard to keep them away from the top teams.Ticket prices for kids at least should be very low.Never more than £10 for whatever game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Kids are the supporters of tomorrow.Small teams like Brighton have to work hard to keep them away from the top teams.Ticket prices for kids at least should be very low.Never more than £10 for whatever game.

good point

For the most part they are, if you buy a season ticket.
Albion season ticket prices for u10s range from £90 to £195 so about £10 per match or just a £5 in the family zone.
For 10s-18s in the family zone they are £7 per match and c£13 per match in other areas.
thats for new ST holders this year - the renewal price was less.
https://www.seagullstickets.com/documents/pdf/1718/ST1718_pricing_newSTHs.pdf

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure you are kidding.Firstly,when you talk about a one off event,supporting a football team is not a one off event.It's at at least 20 one off events in one season.That's alot of money.Not everyone has a season ticket so tickets are more expensive.I paid £55 for the city game for me and £30 for my 8 year old son.Then you have the parents who might want to take 2/3 kids.Yes ticket prices are way too expensive.

It is. And i wish it was cheaper. But if you have a season ticket then there are 100s of adults with an under 10s in the family zone in the East Stand paying £27 for themselves and £7 each for their kids per match (including travel) if they renewed season tickets this season.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What has struck me in the Premier League is the sheer uncessary number of stewards that clubs have. Chelsea for example, when they scored loads filed out in front of us as if we where all going to charge the field. I know clubs get thousands of pounds from TV money but no wonder ticket prices are so high to pay hundreads of uncessary people.

This has also struck me. Yes, there must be some sort of policing, I fully appreciate, and perhaps the numbers inside the ground are OK. But all too often, when I park, the stewards "on duty" are chatting between themselves and and/or on their phones. To be fair, this is just my snapshot, but it is an all too frequent observation. Perhaps there is some sort of legal number needed, I don't know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You've just picked out the game with arguably the highest demand of the season as if that reinforces your point - a game against one of the big six, opening day of the season and Albion in the top flight after a 34 year absence - of course you paid top whack, nobody forced you to go. That's like me pointing out that the club reduced prices to £15 an adult for one game as if that proves tickets are cheap. (I wouldn't do that as it conveniently ignores the the fact that the game was televised, it was Stoke, and it was on a Monday night just before Christmas)

Neither of those games represent normality in the context of a Premier league season. I'd say normality was more accurately represented by a team like Everton at home on a Saturday, and you wouldn't have had to pay anything like £85 for you and your son to go to that one. Apart from anything else, as I (and then chailygem later) pointed out, family stand tickets make taking kids very affordable.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Perhaps he should look at average attendance as a percentage of capacity. Apart from Spurs due to playing at Wembley all PL clubs are above 90% and most in high 90s. So ticket price is not an issue.

Are these real attendances though? Unlikely. They’re usually tickets sold, which includes people who can afford to have a seat and not bother passing it on when they don’t go. Which rather proves the point that some fans are priced out.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
With the huge TV money deal then tkt prices should be cut drastically - no reason why anyone should be paying more than £30 for a tkt anywhere imo - pure greed

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
You've just picked out the game with arguably the highest demand of the season as if that reinforces your point - a game against one of the big six, opening day of the season and Albion in the top flight after a 34 year absence - of course you paid top whack, nobody forced you to go. That's like me pointing out that the club reduced prices to £15 an adult for one game as if that proves tickets are cheap. (I wouldn't do that as it conveniently ignores the the fact that the game was televised, it was Stoke, and it was on a Monday night just before Christmas)

Neither of those games represent normality in the context of a Premier league season. I'd say normality was more accurately represented by a team like Everton at home on a Saturday, and you wouldn't have had to pay anything like £85 for you and your son to go to that one. Apart from anything else, as I (and then chailygem later) pointed out, family stand tickets make taking kids very affordable.

The price I paid for City is not a one off but is the price for Cat A games.Yes no-one forced me to go and what a stupid argument.Infact I'm more talking for those who can't go because they just can't afford the prices rather than me who can but would like them cheaper.Yes £85 wasn't normal however normal for many people especially parents with kids is still too expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here