Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is reaching the Premier League all you hoped it would be?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nope plenty of feet to date :moo:

I'd take issue with hat first sentence ...firstly you are looking too far ahead and whats to say mid table Championship would be much cop...there is no automatic right for us to be challenging for promotion....lastly Burnley have given hope to the 'smaller' clubs over what can be achieved ....i still watch Championship footie on the box and comparing it to where we are now....at this very moment...i'll take PL

Dont get me wrong, I'd still rather be in the Premier League, BUT it isnt the "heaven" that many made it out to be. But my expectation was low anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dont get me wrong, I'd still rather be in the Premier League, BUT it isnt the "heaven" that many made it out to be. But my expectation was low anyway.

So are you gauging your feelings on other peoples expectations?

I never felt promotion would be "heaven" so I'm enjoying the ride now the team is there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Compared to the rip-offs at the likes of Leeds, Wendys and Ipswich, I'm really enjoying the away ticket prices.

The one aspect that is definitely better than I expected. Going to every match as a family of four hasn't been as bad as it might have been a few seasons back before the cap on prices.

el punal

The game has been ruined by money. So no, I’m not enjoying it which is a shame.

What a strange comment. How has watching the Albion been ruined by money? Is it too expensive for you? Do you find the travelling to games costs too much?

Your comment is as expansive as someone stating that they don't like going to football because it rains sometimes - that's a shame as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's what I expected, pretty rank.

The glory of going up was fantastic but I always suspected that the Premier League was not going to be all that. If you stay in it then its season after season of winning very few games and struggling to compete with the top 7/8.

The games against the top guns are completely pointless. Exhibition matches. And the way we have approached them has made this feeling worse, with the exception of Man Utd away.

I'm actually really looking forward to the run of games we have through to the end of February which are generally more like the competitive championship games we enjoyed so much. The trips to the bigs games have just confirmed for me everything I hate about modern day football. Soleless stadiums with tourist fans who dont really care like we do, no atmosphere, and a feeling that we are just there to make up the numbers.

I wasnt old enough to really understand how it felt in 79-83 but I am pretty sure it didn't feel like this?

Yeah, because places like Reading, Birmingham, Fulham, Norwich etc. are just a melting pot of noise and atmosphere from the home fans. The worse atmosphere so far away from home has been Watford who for all intents and purposes are still a Championship side like us in a lot of ways.

So far we've competed well against the top teams, both MU and Spurs enjoyed lucky goals against us. Reckon there is more to come from us at home to these sides. Good to go up against these top sides rather than the biggest test of your season being Wolves or Derby.

1980 16th we won 11 in a 42 game season. 1981 19th we won 14 but lost 21. 1982 13th won 13 games. 1983 22nd won 9. Where are people's sense of perspective about how well we're doing this season? We've never finished in the top half of the top division. We've always made up the numbers. What do you expect, challenging for Europe in our first season up? Mind-blowing how people are viewing this to me at least.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So are you gauging your feelings on other peoples expectations?

I never felt promotion would be "heaven" so I'm enjoying the ride now the team is there.

I didn't either, but surprisingly we've been far more competitive in far more games than I expected. Other than Liverpool, we've not been given a hiding. While incredibly disappointing, we've dropped points BECAUSE we have been leading games, rather than always chasing. We've looked decent, competitive, and strong as a team. Man for man we are weaker than a lot of sides, but the team spirit from the Championship is seeing us punch above our weight as far as I'm concerned. Really looking forward to the upcoming fixtures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't either, but surprisingly we've been far more competitive in far more games than I expected. Other than Liverpool, we've not been given a hiding. While incredibly disappointing, we've dropped points BECAUSE we have been leading games, rather than always chasing. We've looked decent, competitive, and strong as a team. Man for man we are weaker than a lot of sides, but the team spirit from the Championship is seeing us punch above our weight as far as I'm concerned. Really looking forward to the upcoming fixtures.

I agree with all of that bar being man for man weaker.
In our division I think plenty of our team would be wanted by the opposition.
Not to mention those who are man for man better than a lot of the sides.

T'is a shame none of those are strikers.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah, because places like Reading, Birmingham, Fulham, Norwich etc. are just a melting pot of noise and atmosphere from the home fans. The worse atmosphere so far away from home has been Watford who for all intents and purposes are still a Championship side like us in a lot of ways.

So far we've competed well against the top teams, both MU and Spurs enjoyed lucky goals against us. Reckon there is more to come from us at home to these sides. Good to go up against these top sides rather than the biggest test of your season being Wolves or Derby.

1980 16th we won 11 in a 42 game season. 1981 19th we won 14 but lost 21. 1982 13th won 13 games. 1983 22nd won 9. Where are people's sense of perspective about how well we're doing this season? We've never finished in the top half of the top division. We've always made up the numbers. What do you expect, challenging for Europe in our first season up? Mind-blowing how people are viewing this to me at least.

I don't remember seeing any Reading fans at the Majdeski last season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The games, especially the home ones, are brilliant - just as much fun and mainly better than in the Championship (even in a season competing at the top - let alone if not...).

Much of the stuff in between (i.e. NSC) is not as good although I do enjoy being part of the Premier League for watching the other games, media coverage and doing Fantasy League / FIFA...

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
We've exceeded expectations especially considering we don't have strikers(we'll a Prem quality one).We are 12th having been 8th with only once conceeding more than 2 goals in one game.Defence is not a problem,attack is.Had we got a striker in the summer then who knows where we would be.If we get a decent one now then that kind of guarantees survival.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m gonna give myself up here to an old colleague but for me it was the dream. The dream that one day little old brighton who had been screwed over, who had no home and played at the ‘stadium’ I did my school sports day at would one day make it back into the big time with the big boys. The dream was for me, everything. I have enjoyed the ride believe me, the stadium becoming a reality, Buckley in the 97th etc but I’ve just about had it and it’s been on the cards for a while with the money involved in the game. £75 million for VVD, a central defender...

I do enjoy your posts by the way, genuinely.

Cheers chap.

I think as a general observation, your point is valid. The money in the game IS ridiculous these days, I don't think anyone could argue any differently. But has that fundamentally affected my enjoyment of seeing my team, BHA, finally taking their place amongst the elite for the first time in nigh-on 2 generations ? And not just being there, but actually competing ? Not on your nelly. If Liverpool want to splurge £75m on a patchy centreback, that's their lookout. Doesn't impinge on my enjoyment of this season one iota. Its been epic.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's been a funny half season for me generally. I missed the first few games (on holiday / new dog arriving) but I'm not sure I've had any of what used to be my typical football Saturdays, ending up in various Brighton pubs until legging it for the last train back to Worthing.

The whole cadence of the season just hasn't felt right, either. Something like 110 days to play the first 11 fixtures and then next 11 crammed into 42 days. I know the Championship has the same international breaks but the evening games of the Championship keeps things ticking along a bit more.

Much of the stuff in between (i.e. NSC) is not as good although I do enjoy being part of the Premier League for watching the other games, media coverage and doing Fantasy League / FIFA...

I was going to say the same re: NSC - it's felt quieter to me, and I was going to say that it was probably due to the stop-start nature of the first 3 months or so of the season. However, I've just checked Google Analytics and NSC was busier by every metric between 1/9/17 - 31/21/17 compared to the same dates in 2016:

Sessions +20%
Pageviews +12%
Users + 7%

...which has really surprised me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not actually answered the question there...

I'm pleased at how competitive we've been but I do wonder how long the novelty of Premier League football, should we remain here, will last....

1) I've noticed before this season that clubs of a moderate size who have been knocking around the middle of the PL for a few seasons seem to be suffering with drop-offs in attendance. West Brom is the one that particularly springs to mind. Are a number of their fans just bored of it all, perhaps?

2) Away games at the big grounds/clubs are exciting the first time, but I'm not sure how many of them I'll bother with again. A lot of home fans don't turn up, the atmosphere is non-existent (as it's a nothing game to the home side), the star players struggle to get out of second gear and we're just there as some sort of sparring partner.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it what I hoped it would be? Well, as I always want The Albion to be winning every week, and fighting it out near the top of whatever league we're in, yes, I suppose it's not what I hoped. Is it what I expected? Yes - and I'm quite happy with that; if anything, we're exceeding expectations, which is great.
Downside is the polarisation of opinions on here - it's almost as if some people think you have to be either a bedwetter or a licker - though thankfully, the usage of those pejorative words has all but vanished.
For instance:
Do I think CH is doing a great job, and do I want him to stay, no matter where we finish this season? Yes, I do.
Do I wish we'd leave a fast runner on the half way line at corners and set pieces? Yes I do.
The two views are not incompatible - but sometimes, looking at NSC, you wouldn't think so!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The highs are higher but its ruined by money and cheating. This is also likely to be the best we experience of it.

Must admit I didn't think we'd still be treated as a nothing club once we made it but the premier league is basically the top 7 / 8 sides. Everyone else largely irrelevant , especially from the fans of these clubs.

Can't beat the championship can you.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just wondered what people’s thoughts were?
Just over halfway through our first PL season - how’s it feeling?

Me? It’s been some of the most exciting times since the early 80’s but I’m strangely finding myself at times hankering for the days when you could just turn up at somewhere like Exeter away and get in.
I’ve loved the journey getting to the PL and this season we have done so much better so far than I thought we might.
But if we ever end up going down it won’t be the end of the world by any means.

My feelings almost exactly reflect your own. It is in fact better than I thought it would be. Despite obvious weaknesses in the squad, I am very happy with the recruitment we did do in the Summer, and also very happy with how last year's squad have stepped up. There is still the possibility of ending up back in the Championship next year, which would not be the end of the world, but I think we will be OK, particularly if we manage some (the right) business this window.

And the quality of football we have seen has normally been pretty good - and that is an understatement. When I realised we were going to get thumped by Liverpool, it was just a question of sitting back and enjoying the football. I thought we did reasonably well against the likes of Coutinho (who was scintillating) and Firmino.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
1) I've noticed before this season that clubs of a moderate size who have been knocking around the middle of the PL for a few seasons seem to be suffering with drop-offs in attendance. West Brom is the one that particularly springs to mind. Are a number of their fans just bored of it all, perhaps?

I work with a Baggies ST holder. He is certainly experiencing lethargy with the PL for a number of reasons

1. Pulis hoof ball and scoring from set pieces for a few seasons has drawn the life from the crowd and is as much fun to watch as an 'Eastenders best arguments' box set.
2. No cup run and a succession of mid table finishes has led to a lack of memorable moments. It's been get to 40 points and clock off till next year.
3. Villa, Coventry, Birmingham and Wolves have all been relegated. Leicester are the closest to a derby they have but there isn't really any ill feeling between the teams. They don't have a game that matters albeit if they stay up they will next year.

He'd be happy in the Championship for a bit.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Anyone who has listened to me droning on for 6 seasons, would know I did not want to go up. Two main reasons one is the top league is all about money, talk to any one about premership football and it always turns into expenditure. The other I really felt a gap had opened between the premier league clubs and championship clubs. I believed we would do a Middlesbough, be able to keep a game tight but not score and be punshied by the top ttackin players.

I was also upset by us not winning the league, I wanted this in honour of all the fans who campaigned for Falmer that didnt see us achieve promotion to the promised land.

However, I have to confess and apoligise to all I had bored with this theory. I have loved the experience. Ryan, GroŠ, Jose, Propper and Sutner have been quality additions, and to see us hold or own at Old Trafford, win away at West Ham and compete at home has proved me very wrong. I now feel that achieving 40 points is very possible the way Chris sets the team up, and I have this without us taking one point of the top 6 sides. Bringing the Raphael Dwamena in the player will only improve the chances and allow the team to strenthen.

The amazing thing is if we go down we will hopefully have a good core squad and money to attract the better championship players. So we should be competitive in what must be one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

So yes well exceeded my expections even if we go on a losing run and go down, its been great fun, enyoyable and a little frustating we do not have that striker to have put away our countless chances created and gain us a few more points.

Hats off to Chris, who goes aboout his buinsess and just keeps picking up the points in a methodical manner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here