Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is reaching the Premier League all you hoped it would be?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This about the 500th time this topic has come up in the last few months and my answer is still the same - yeah, brilliant. Don't want to be anywhere else and frankly I cannot understand anyone who says otherwise. Yes I accept that after a few seasons the experience may pall (especially if every season is a struggle), but we're only half way through the first one!

I would like to ask those who say it isn't what they hoped it would be (which is the way the question has been phrased this time), well what did you hope it would be like? What, realistically did you hope would be different?

You don't need to ask just re-read the many repetitive threads on:

We're too negative
At least give it a go
It's not fair that I can't get away tickets to the big games
We should leave players up field on corners
We need players on the post at corners

There seems far more moaners this season so many are clearly not enjoying the experience

Fun times

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
We knew it wouldn't be easy and goals harder to come by.. Hughton's doing a great job IMHO . As for the league? I have never been a fan of big-time Corporate football, so in many ways I miss 'the good old days'

But you play football to win. If you keep winning you get promoted and we all rejoice at success. . This is the price of success.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am enjoying it, just waiting for us to hammer one of the big 6 and grab some headlines. I appreciate I might be waiting a while.

I don’t know about hammering one of the top six but I still think that we haven’t got a single lucky point this season, so maybe that is still to come this season. Whilst everyone criticises the pundits comments about us fading, they do know enough about the attrition of the Premier League for the a team like us, so I think they might be right. We don’t seem to have the quality to kill a game which is a bit of a worry. Our season will be defined by whether or not we can sign the much needed striker and the next few games against teams around us in the table. It is looking very tight from 3rd bottom upwards.

I am loving this season but have a nagging doubt about how it will end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm enjoying the Premier League more than being asked if I'm enjoying the Premier League, on a weekly basis.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I know this is a crazy idea, but I go to football for the football. We’re seeing a higher clas of football than we’ve ever seen at the AMEX. So by that nature, yes I’m enjoying it.

boik

We're too negative
At least give it a go

There seems far more moaners this season so many are clearly not enjoying not winning.

Fun times

Corrected.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I'm enjoying it (I loved the Liverpool game - yes we lost but their performance is why I watch football) but I'm worried about the club losing its soul to money. Steve Piper's passing has gone by without much/any attention from the club for instance. I also find myself peeved by the fact that there seem to be far fewer ballboys/ballgirls at PL games compared to the Championship. Also surprised by the referees - either excellent or awful with not much in between except pedantry

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

We're too negative
At least give it a go

There seems far more moaners this season so many are clearly not enjoying the experience

Fun times

Yeah, but what out of those things did people hope would be different? With the exception of the "I can't get tickets for big games" issue (and surely nobody thought that would be easy) the other points raised cover our style of play. Again, surely nobody hoped we'd be able to play an expansive gung-ho style and get away with it?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Loving it, ticking of grounds id never thought id see the Albion play at.

Only disapointment is the way most of the London games have fallen, early kick offs etc, as it slightly ruined the piss up.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
It's more or less as I imagined.I think the desire for something is often stronger than when you actually have it.I knew there would be many games where it felt like we were back in the Championship based on the fact 75% of teams are mediocre.I thought I would be keener on seeing the 'big teams' than I actually am.I think you get use to a new situation quickly and after 22 games in the Prem some of the gloss has worn off.A victory in the Prem feels like a cup final win.Feels like the equivalent of getting 9 points in the Championship for one game.To win is just massive.It's so vital for staying in the Prem.I prefer to be here of course and I look forward to staying here,collecting more money and being able to afford bigger players.The football has not been brilliant.In the Championship we went all out and scored alot more so I guess you could say it was more exciting but at the final whistle in the Prem you feel more excited if you win. I understand those who are ok with the Championship aswell but I prefer the Prem.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Being in the Prem reminds me how insignificant teams like us are.The media just see us as being there to make up the numbers.The disrespect is very evident and the obsession with a few top teams is obvious.F.....them all.We are 12th in the league with doing it the right way.We haven't bought success like the big boys.We are not owned by faceless co-operations or by an entire country.We are keeping it real with sensible buys and a real owner who loves the club.If that ever changed it would be a sad day for Brighton.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes. I’m still enjoying watching the Albion play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Far more intense just a shame the finishing in the top 10 is an almighty achievement and that really is it

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's what I expected, pretty rank.

The glory of going up was fantastic but I always suspected that the Premier League was not going to be all that. If you stay in it then its season after season of winning very few games and struggling to compete with the top 7/8.

The games against the top guns are completely pointless. Exhibition matches. And the way we have approached them has made this feeling worse, with the exception of Man Utd away.

I'm actually really looking forward to the run of games we have through to the end of February which are generally more like the competitive championship games we enjoyed so much. The trips to the bigs games have just confirmed for me everything I hate about modern day football. Soleless stadiums with tourist fans who dont really care like we do, no atmosphere, and a feeling that we are just there to make up the numbers.

I wasnt old enough to really understand how it felt in 79-83 but I am pretty sure it didn't feel like this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But honestly, are you really enjoying it? :smile:

:lol:

I'm loving it, watching the very best Brighton team, playing some superb football at either end of the pitch against top quality opposition.

The only things not to like are:-

- The "but we're 12th" brigade who can't seem to face reality.
- "Doomed to failure only playing negative football".
- Must moan.
&
- "Are you enjoying the Premier League experience" questions. :lol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's what I expected, pretty rank.

The glory of going up was fantastic but I always suspected that the Premier League was not going to be all that. If you stay in it then its season after season of winning very few games and struggling to compete with the top 7/8.

The games against the top guns are completely pointless. Exhibition matches. And the way we have approached them has made this feeling worse, with the exception of Man Utd away.

I'm actually really looking forward to the run of games we have through to the end of February which are generally more like the competitive championship games we enjoyed so much. The trips to the bigs games have just confirmed for me everything I hate about modern day football. Soleless stadiums with tourist fans who dont really care like we do, no atmosphere, and a feeling that we are just there to make up the numbers.

I wasnt old enough to really understand how it felt in 79-83 but I am pretty sure it didn't feel like this?

Nope plenty of feet to date :moo:

I'd take issue with that first sentence ...firstly you are looking too far ahead and whats to say mid table Championship would be much cop...there is no automatic right for us to be challenging for promotion....lastly Burnley have given hope to the 'smaller' clubs over what can be achieved ....i still watch Championship footie on the box and comparing it to where we are now....at this very moment...i'll take PL

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here