Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] John Worboys

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The BBC news report stated the reason his sentence was so light was that he was only convicted of one rape, 19 administering drugs, and 12 sexual assaults.
Most of the other, up to a hundred, further rapes and assaults came forward after his conviction, hence, he was giving an indeterminate sentence. Im curious if the original Judge thought he'd be out in under 10 years.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Your sentiment on this case sums up the chasm that exists between the “establishment” mentality on matters such as this and the general population at large.

In such cases I would not care so much as long as he was only freed to live in your house (or others that share your view).

Let you reap what you sow......

Absolutely. I'm only an average bod but I've always thought that the fundamental point of our legal system is to protect people and although it should always remain impartial, the way it's administered should always be a reflection of our society's values. Maybe I've misunderstood that because I can't see how any of that has been applied here.

In fairness, I think most of the establishment is as appalled about his early release and bewildered by the bold statement that he poses no threat as the rest of us.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/man-raped-hundreds-women-released-prison-9-years/

This chap is always worth reading, and this article in particular makes for an interesting read - separates the headlines and facts, distills stories down to the legal nitty-gritty.

"Why is a man who has raped “hundreds of women” being released from prison after only 9 years?

Storm clouds are gathering over the news that former taxi driver John Worboys, the convicted rapist who police believe may have drugged and attacked hundreds of female passengers, is to be released from prison after reportedly serving nine years of an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment.

How, it is being asked, can one of Britain’s most prolific rapists be back on the streets less than a decade after his conviction for multiple sexual offences against vulnerable women? Is this another example of soft sentencing by out-of-touch liberal judges (©Andrew Pierce)? Or might it just possibly be a little more complicated than that? Let’s have a peek behind the headline.

The offences

Part of the anger appears to arise out of a conflation between what the police believe Worboys to have done, and the offences for which he has actually been convicted. While the headlines since his conviction and sentence have referred to “hundreds” of victims, his trial at Croydon Crown Court in 2009 was in fact in relation to twelve complainants.

Worboys committed the offences between 2002 and 2008 by trawling London’s West End in his black cab searching for vulnerable lone women, whom he would invite into his cab and ply with sedative-laced champagne under the pretext of celebrating a lottery win. He then sexually assaulted or raped his victims. Following his conviction, a number of women came forward with further complaints, although the effect of the sedatives rendered many unable to specifically recall what took place, presenting an evidential problem in proving the sexual assaults to the “criminal standard” (making a jury “sure”, or proving “beyond reasonable doubt” being the standard formulations of the high evidential threshold). This perhaps explains the gulf between the number of women that the police believe Worboys assaulted, and the number of offences for which he has been convicted and sentenced.

Ultimately, Worboys was convicted of nineteen offences. According to the BBC, these comprised one count of rape, five counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault and twelve counts relating to “drugging” (I cannot find the precise offence specified in any of the news reports, nor in the transcript of Worboys’ unsuccessful trip to the Court of Appeal in 2010, but assume that these were offences contrary to either section 61 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (administering a substance with intent to stupefy) or section 22 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (administering a stupefying drug with intent to commit an indictable offence).

Breaking this down, it would appear that, of the twelve complainants, six were able to give evidence of sexual offences committed by Worboys while they were drugged, whereas six were able to give sufficient evidence only of the drugging, albeit Worboys’ intentions in so doing were beyond doubt.

What was the sentence?

On 21 April 2009, Worboys was sentenced to terms of imprisonment for public protection (IPP) on all counts. For all but two, the tariff was 5 years, with the tariff for two offences (one presumes the rape and one of the sexual assaults) being set at 8 years, to run concurrently. This was widely reported as being an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment, or “indefinite imprisonment” – which is true, but without further explanation perhaps gives a misleading impression of what such a sentence actually means.

So what does “imprisonment for public protection” mean?

Imprisonment for public protection (IPP) was a headline-grabbing sentencing initiative introduced in 2005 and available until 2012, designed to ensure that dangerous violent and sexual offenders were not released until the Parole Board deemed that they no longer posed a risk to the public. The idea, in short, was that an offender convicted of a serious specified violent or sexual offence and who was considered to pose a significant risk of serious harm to the public, would be sentenced to a “tariff” – equivalent to the period they would have spent in custody under a standard determinate prison sentence – at the end of which they could apply to the Parole Board to be released on licence. The burden was on the prisoner to satisfy the Parole Board that they were no longer dangerous – that is, that they no longer posed a significant risk of serious harm. Those who took their rehabilitation seriously and were able to demonstrate their reformation would be allowed back into society under strict monitoring and a ten-year licence period. Those who remained a danger would remain in prison, indefinitely if need be.

In Worboys’ case, therefore, the judge considered that the appropriate determinate sentence for an offence of this type would have been sixteen years. All prisoners serving determinate sentences are automatically released at the halfway stage – so 8 years was the appropriate tariff.

As to whether a sixteen year sentence was sufficient for this type of offence, opinions will differ. There were no Sentencing Guidelines in place in 2009, unlike today when it is possible to offer a slightly more informed comment on the merits of a sentence. The Attorney General did not apply to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal as unduly lenient, which indicates that the prosecution did not consider the sentence to be inappropriate. But whatever your view, the key point to bear in mind is that the sentence did not reflect “hundreds” of sexual attacks – had Worboys been so convicted, his tariff would have been significantly longer.

Why has Worboys now been released?

Quite simply, because his tariff of eight years has now been served – it is reported that he has in fact served 10 years including time spent in custody on remand awaiting his trial – and he has satisfied the Parole Board that he longer presents a risk to the public.

The Parole Board has released a brief statement to this effect: “We can confirm that a three member panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of Mr John Worboys, following an oral hearing. “The arrangements for Mr Worboys’ release will be managed by the Ministry of Justice.”

Parole Board hearings are held in private and the full reasons for release decisions are not publicly available. Further information about Parole Board hearings in IPP cases is available here. The panel of three – often (although not always) chaired by a judge – will in appropriate cases also include a psychiatrist or psychologist, and the panel will have a dossier containing relevant materials about the prisoner and their progress. The panel can hear live evidence from offender managers, supervisors and psychiatrists, and there is scope also for victims to put forward their views.

As to exactly what happened in this case, we simply don’t know any more than the short statement above discloses. One presumes that Worboys will have completed a sex offender treatment programme, although as has been pointed out by barrister Matt Stanbury, it is unclear whether this will be the same programme that was scrapped by the government earlier this year after it was found to increase rather than reduce sexual offending. One presumes that there will have been highly persuasive evidence and strong recommendations by Worboys’ offender managers to convince the usually risk-averse Parole Board to direct his release, and there will be stringent restrictions on his movements with the threat of an immediate return to custody hanging over him at all times, but as to the details we are largely, and regrettably, in the dark.

What about the hundreds of other potential victims?

This aspect of the story may be set to continue running. For the reasons explained above, we cannot know whether and to what extent the evidence of further potential offending by Worboys was considered by the Parole Board during its deliberations, but questions are now being asked about the decision not to bring further criminal proceedings in relation to the complaints made following Worboys’ conviction. Political ammunition is being loaded and turrets are whirring round towards Kier Starmer MP, who as Director of Public Prosecutions in 2009 is said to have taken the decision that no further proceedings against Worboys were appropriate in light of the indeterminate sentence passed. In order for the CPS to prosecute a criminal allegation, it must be satisfied that there is a realistic prospect of conviction on the available evidence (“the evidential test”), and that it is in the public interest to prosecute (“the public interest test”). We simply don’t know, in the case of any one of the further complaints, whether the evidential test is met. The public interest is perhaps a grainier issue. On its face, were the Crown in possession of compelling evidence demonstrating that Worboys was guilty of sexually assaulting not six women but ten or twenty times that number, it would seem difficult to justify not prosecuting. But, as with so much about this case, we should pause and await further information before any rush to judgment."

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm not asking a question, I'm making a statement, I do hope they've got it right, and he doesn't offend again, however, previous failures in the probation service doesn't fill me with any confidence.

The Judge in the original trial described him as manipulative, and a danger to women.

Just a thought, but can't the Police and CPS get together and find the evidence to prosecution him for son of the offences he wasn't prosecuted for previously.

i know what you were saying lawro , wasnt having a dig mate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

That's really interesting and helpful - Worboys is clearly a pretty despicable individual but putting his case to one side for a second, isn't a blessing that we have a judiciary rather than the string them up brigade here and in the Mail/Express etc. Perhaps if those 'newspapers' were a little more considered in their responses there may be a chance that he would be prosecuted for the dozens of other alleged offences.

Yet again, the police need to have a good hard look at themselves....

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That's really interesting and helpful - Worboys is clearly a pretty despicable individual but putting his case to one side for a second, isn't a blessing that we have a judiciary rather than the string them up brigade here and in the Mail/Express etc. Perhaps if those 'newspapers' were a little more considered in their responses there may be a chance that he would be prosecuted for the dozens of other alleged offences.

I’m all for an independent judiciary, however they should be taking into consideration the wider public view in their decision making otherwise they risk losing the public’s trust in their independence, and that justice is being served.

Take this case purely as an example.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-farhana-begum-ahmed-old-bailey-a8042196.html

Wrong decision I’m afraid, and it’s just another reason why I don’t have any faith in the judiciary to mete out justice. This case is just another in a litany of such decisions.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I can never understand why when someone is convicted of multiple offences the sentences handed down are, more often than not, served concurrently rather than consecutively.

In this case Worboys was convicted of 19 offences each with a minimum of a 5 year sentence - so why wasn’t the overall sentence at least 95 years?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’m all for an independent judiciary, however they should be taking into consideration the wider public view in their decision making otherwise they risk losing the public’s trust in their independence, and that justice is being served.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-farhana-begum-ahmed-old-bailey-a8042196.html

Wrong decision I’m afraid, and it’s just another reason why I don’t have any faith in the judiciary to mete out justice. This case is just another in a litany of such decisions.

It sounds like a good idea but only if that wider public view is based upon the proven facts of the case and the law. I've read here and elsewhere about a serial rapist, 29 victims, 100 victims etc etc, none of which is proven. He's been convicted of 1 rape (bad enough, I know), 5 assaults and 12 drugs offences so the judge can only sentence based upon those facts. To paraphrase another poster, if you were convicted of litter dropping but sentenced based upon unproven allegations that you the famous cat murderer of old Portslade town, that would be unjust, right?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It sounds like a good idea but only if that wider public view is based upon the proven facts of the case and the law. I've read here and elsewhere about a serial rapist, 29 victims, 100 victims etc etc, none of which is proven. He's been convicted of 1 rape (bad enough, I know), 5 assaults and 12 drugs offences so the judge can only sentence based upon those facts. To paraphrase another poster, if you were convicted of litter dropping but sentenced based upon unproven allegations that you the famous cat murderer of old Portslade town, that would be unjust, right?

The problem with securing a conviction, is that the evidence has to prove beyond reasonable doubt. As the article stated, some of the victims came forward after his court case, but also because the victims were in a drugged state, the evidence would be flimsy.

As the second article said, evidence can be missed (not deliberately) due to lack of resources. Having to meet targets doesn't help either.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I don’t understand sentencing at the moment. Some crimes are getting huge long sentences and others seem relatively short. This is an example of someone somehow should serve a longer sentence

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

The Police? Really? They got the conviction, they don't issue sentences, and it's the Parole Board that have been satisfied he's no longer a threat. I'm sure the police officers who worked on this case were as horrified and disgusted as you or I by the case. They worked tirelessly to secure a conviction, and they got it. I wouldn't be surprised if the officers who worked on the case would have loved the law to be such that he got a much longer sentence, such a LIFE (meaning life).

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

exactly

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Police? Really? They got the conviction, they don't issue sentences, and it's the Parole Board that have been satisfied he's no longer a threat. I'm sure the police officers who worked on this case were as horrified and disgusted as you or I by the case. They worked tirelessly to secure a conviction, and they got it. I wouldn't be surprised if the officers who worked on the case would have loved the law to be such that he got a much longer sentence, such a LIFE (meaning life).
There was an IPCC investigation into the case that came to the conclusion that the MET made serious mistakes in the original investigation that led to him being caught much later than he should have been.

They didn't believe the complaints.

So on the basis that he was given a more lenient sentence because of the number of the convictions that has then lead to early parole, the Police are very much a factor here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jan/20/police-ipcc-john-worboys-errors
Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I can't speak for Mike but when I read that he said the police needed to look at themselves, I assumed it was because they only got him after he had probably committed 100 of these crimes, and only obtained convictions for 1 or 2. On the face of it, that seems absolutely feeble police work to me.

And then as has been said before, the parole board can't recommend based on 100 offences, only the ones he's been convicted of.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why is it nailed on?

He won't be going back to being a taxi driver and is a known face given the publicity around his crimes.

Still let's hang anyone who ever drops a piece of litter

You really think 18-25 year old women have a clue who he is or what he looks like

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Warboys is pure evil. How the hell is any bloke supposed to watch "Fake Taxi" after this??

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I can never understand why when someone is convicted of multiple offences the sentences handed down are, more often than not, served concurrently rather than consecutively.

In this case Worboys was convicted of 19 offences each with a minimum of a 5 year sentence - so why wasn’t the overall sentence at least 95 years?
Exactly. Let's say you are going to rape someone and you know you will receive an 8 year sentence if caught but you never get caught. You might think, I liked that, I will do another one, the worst that can happen is I still only get 8 years as they will both run concurrently.
You then get to the stage of tens or hundreds as in this case and there is absolutely no incentive for him to stop. Albeit at this point I expect he thought he would never get caught but if there was the threat of never ever getting out or preferably hung, maybe, just maybe, they might think twice..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here