Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Vintage High Carbon Chef's Knives

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Another random challenge for the great and the good of NSC...

Just before Christmas I dropped my wife's favourite knife and broke the tip off the blade so I am (desperately) looking for an vintage, hi-carbon chef's knife, 6-7 inch blade, preferably with a rivetted wooden handle similar to this:

s-l500.jpg

Following legislation to stop yoofs stabbing each other, it is now almost impossible to buy knives on ebay, gumtree etc and so getting hold of second-hand knives is very difficult. Does anyone know a shop in either Sussex or London that has this sort of thing?

Does anyone have one that they no longer need?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Just before Christmas I dropped my wife's favourite knife and broke the tip off the blade so I am (desperately) looking for an vintage, hi-carbon chef's knife, 6-7 inch blade, preferably with a rivetted wooden handle similar to this:

View attachment 92554

Following legislation to stop yoofs stabbing each other, it is now almost impossible to buy knives on ebay, gumtree etc and so getting hold of second-hand knives is very difficult. Does anyone know a shop in either Sussex or London that has this sort of thing?

Could you get the point re-sharpened, I did this with my wife's pairing knife, the one she had from college cheffy days :blush:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

View attachment 92554

If you tried a commercial supplier, like www.nisbets.co.uk, you may have more joy, won't be second hand of course but you can get a knife that will last for decades at a reasonable price.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Could you get the point re-sharpened, I did this with my wife's pairing knife, the one she had from college cheffy days :blush:

Probably not, the blade is bent as well so will be very difficult to get it true again.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
If you tried a commercial supplier, like www.nisbets.co.uk, you may have more joy, won't be second hand of course but you can get a knife that will last for decades at a reasonable price.

Thanks. I really wanted one of the old-fashioned type that discolour and rust a bit rather than a stainless one, but that is a great option.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

View attachment 92554

Looks like an old(ish) Sabatier, I have an identical one that I rehandled a few months back. Grinding it back to a point and sharpening is a fairly simple job but will, obviously, change the blade geometry. I suggest you ask over at https://edgematters.uk, there's a lot of skilled makers on there; one of them might be willing to do it for you (I would offer but some of the guys on EM are much more skilled than I am).

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Although now retired, I worked with metal all my life. You say it is a high carbon steel knife. High carbon steel is not brittle so the tip should not have snapped off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Although now retired, I worked with metal all my life. You say it is a high carbon steel knife. High carbon steel is not brittle so the tip should not have snapped off.

It depends on the heat treatment. If high carbon steel is annealed, then it can become less brittle than if quenched. But, in the case it is annealed, the higher % of cementite will lead to less ductility than in low carbon steel. If high carbon steel is quenched, then martensite and other metastable structures may be formed. These structures are very hard, thus rendering material brittle.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It depends on the heat treatment. If high carbon steel is annealed, then it can become less brittle than if quenched. But, in the case it is annealed, the higher % of cementite will lead to less ductility than in low carbon steel. If high carbon steel is quenched, then martensite and other metastable structures may be formed. These structures are very hard, thus rendering material brittle.

A blade should be tempered after heat treating, that makes it less brittle.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
http://www.northstandchat.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8268063
Thanks. Maybe high carbon is not what I mean - it is what I had been led to believe the metal was called. It is the old style knife - as in the picture - that is not stainless, discolours easily and can rust a little if not dried after washing. It is very easy to sharpen to a very fine edge (and also loses the edge quite quickly.)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I was just about to post the same thing.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was just about to post the same thing.

Well its just common sense really. As most people will tell you the high carbon steels contain from 0.60 to 1.00% C with manganese contents ranging from 0.30 to 0.90%. The pearlite has a very fine structure, which makes the steel very hard... It is made up from a fine mixture of ferrite and iron carbide, which can be seen as a "wormy" texture. Unfortunately this also makes the steel quite brittle and much less ductile than mild steel. Actually, this is a typical system, which has BCC structure and shows brittle-ductile transition, where the cleavage fracture mode is replaced by shear mode. In any given material existence of the flaws in the forms of micro cracks (in the bulk or at the surfaces), grain or phase boundaries and inclusions can't be avoided. For the elastic fracture we have Griffith criterion, which gives the mathematical connection between the stress intensity factor K = Sigma (Pi x a)*1/2 and the critical stress intensity factor KC= (E GC)*1/2 which is also known as the Fracture Toughness. Where Sigma is the applied stress, a is the micro crack length, E Young modulus, GC is the total work for fracture (Theoretical value is twice the surface free energy, and it is given by 2E/ (ao20), ao is lattice parameter). When the stress intensity factor for given stress and the crack length becomes equal or greater than the Fracture toughness, the crack becomes unstable and grows or propagates unless it hits a barrier along its path. The most critical parameter here is GC,, which is two to four orders of magnitude greater than the true surface free energy term. This is due to the fact that the local stress concentration at the crack tip reaches the yield point, which is much smaller than the cohesive strength, and causes localized yielding before localized fracture (bond breaking). This zone extends over a region called plastic zone, within which tensile stress becomes equal to yield stress. The size of plastic zone determines the value of GC the total work for fracture. The microscopic scale of plastic deformation is an inhomogeneous process and involves dislocation pile-ups or blocked slip bands at the grain boundaries or at the inclusion or phase boundaries. In the case of very fine pearlite structure the thickness of the pearlite lamelar, which is about 200-300 nanometers, limits the size of the plastic zone almost to nil. Any fool can tell you that.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here