Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kids being sent home from school

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My son was sent home from school "ill" today despite the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with him other than possibly being a bit tired and jaded after some late nights over the Christmas holiday.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Schools bang on about attendance and the importance of being in school, something we completely agree with, and yet they send him home at the slightest indication he could be less than 100%.

We've never taken him out of school for holidays, and don't believe we ever will (I'm not judging if you do - everyone makes their own choices), so it grates somewhat the school have this seemingly relaxed approach to sending kids home. Perhaps parents should be able to fine schools for non-approved sending home.

I appreciate this is all a bit Mumsnet but it's wound me up a bit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What would they have done if the parents were at work?

Well, I am at work but fortunately I'm at home which is also about a 3 minute walk from the school. But, yes, there must be other parents who get completely stuffed up when this happens.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Judgement call half the time. One teacher's that child is too ill, is another's sit down and get on with it. Is he good at drama by any chance?

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Mumsnet?I think the thread on how to make roast potatoes is far more mumsnet !
Mumsnet by the way is a militant fascist feminist site hell bent on demeaning men and fighting for women's rights
to the point a man will be charged with sexual harassment just for smiling at a girl in the near future.

Schools are hypocrites.They bang on about attendance yet with the recent bad weather they were more than ok to
close schools down for days at a time.Then with their claws out they proclaimed they are not babysitters when parents complained.
No they are not babysitters,they are educators so should not close schools because of a few snowflakes or puddles of water or whatever.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
school policy I am afraid.

schools are so paranoid as parents are now becoming litigious that any little scrape or bump has to have a signed accident sheet, a interview and a medical form sent home with the child to say they have been looked at and assessed.

can you imagine how many times little kids fall over and bump their heads, arms etc....every one has to be logged and assessed....in fact a brilliant one is every child has to be in eyeline of a supervisor /teacher when out in the playground, so some schools have had to rope off trees and sheds and supervisors have to stand at a spot where they can see every part of the playground.....

nanny state doesn't even cover the bollocks we have to do

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Without casting nasturtiums - are you sure he wasn't hamming it up a bit for the teachers? He may have appeared somewhat sicker to them than he appeared to you.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
teachers on strike
absentee teachers
the boilers broken down
the teacher can't get in, when everyone else can
teachers suffering stress
teachers don't take games
no school trips, its about insurance
children sent home for wearing the wrong colour cardigan
there's no money
being charged to take your child out of school
parent association
school fetes

Teaching used to be a vocation, now its a job. Little responsibility no accountability and an underhand political message most of the time.

Those who can do
Those who can't now teach
Those who can't teach, teach the teachers.

How does a 22 year old newly qualified teacher, teach her class in life skills.

Been there as a school governor, yuo would not believe what goes on.

Thats why he was sent home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before Christmas we were called to say our daughter had fallen at school is bleeding and my need a check-up.
Her mother dropped everything raced to school, took one look at her and told her to stop playing on the 'injury' and get back to class.

:lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
teachers on strike
absentee teachers
the boilers broken down
the teacher can't get in, when everyone else can
teachers suffering stress
teachers don't take games
no school trips, its about insurance
children sent home for wearing the wrong colour cardigan
there's no money
being charged to take your child out of school
parent association
school fetes

Teaching used to be a vocation, now its a job. Little responsibility no accountability and an underhand political message most of the time.

Those who can do
Those who can't now teach
Those who can't teach, teach the teachers.

How does a 22 year old newly qualified teacher, teach her class in life skills.

Been there as a school governor, yuo would not believe what goes on.

Thats why he was sent home.

If you were a school governor you would know why a lot of that is bollocks.

You would also know how the attitude of parents has changed over the years and why teachers are not respected as they were

You would also know that governmental dogmatic interference in schools and the slashing of budgets and pupil financing has led to low morale and loss of experienced teachers.

You would also know that due to budget cuts, heads are obliged to set on NQTs as they cant afford experienced teachers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here