Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kids being sent home from school

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Without casting nasturtiums - are you sure he wasn't hamming it up a bit for the teachers? He may have appeared somewhat sicker to them than he appeared to you.

Possibly. But I expect them to tell him to man up and get on with it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My son was sent home from school "ill" today despite the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with him other than possibly being a bit tired and jaded after some late nights over the Christmas holiday.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Schools bang on about attendance and the importance of being in school, something we completely agree with, and yet they send him home at the slightest indication he could be less than 100%.

We've never taken him out of school for holidays, and don't believe we ever will (I'm not judging if you do - everyone makes their own choices), so it grates somewhat the school have this seemingly relaxed approach to sending kids home. Perhaps parents should be able to fine schools for non-approved sending home.

I appreciate this is all a bit Mumsnet but it's wound me up a bit.
This is just a run through of the future of education, due to cuts many schools are looking at 4 day weeks... As they can't afford supply teachers if the already undersupported and overworked teachers go sick expect to get this on a regular basis.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not sure which is better the old school method years ago when you could just get hurt in school get a ride to hospital in a teachers car have some stitches & then rock up at home with stitches in your head, without a note or your parents knowing anything until they see you.
Or an accident form every time they get a bump or graze their knees.

Probably even it's self out somewhere down the line, just feel everything is a bit snowflake at the moment.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Unashamedly, yes.

Another thing: the kids get some sort of recognition for 100% attendance. He's never received this despite the fact that we've never kept him off school.

Has he got a ticket for the FA Cup game?

Agree with you about the sending home from school though had this on several occasions over the years. Kids come home and then they are fine.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure which is better the old school method years ago when you could just get hurt in school get a ride to hospital in a teachers car have some stitches & then rock up at home with stitches in your head, without a note or your parents knowing anything until they see you.
Or an accident form every time they get a bump or graze their knees.

Probably even it's self out somewhere down the line, just feel everything is a bit snowflake at the moment.
Spooky! When I was 14 I took a Hockey stick in to the mouth while playing Shinty in the gym and was spitting blood everywhere... I got driven down to A&E by one of the games teachers in his MGB Midget....after an hour and a half in the hospital, was driven back to my mums works having had a Tetanus booster and given a course of special mouthwash tablets and told to take the rest of the week off. Marvellous times!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They jump red lights and don’t pay any road tax.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Spooky! When I was 14 I took a Hockey stick in to the mouth while playing Shinty in the gym and was spitting blood everywhere... I got driven down to A&E by one of the games teachers in his MGB Midget....after an hour and a half in the hospital, was driven back to my mums works having had a Tetanus booster and given a course of special mouthwash tablets and told to take the rest of the week off. Marvellous times!

Yeah during PE we played rugby and the nutcase teacher went in studs showing opening up my shin, I hobbled back to the changing room while the nutcase continued living out his fantasy. The deputy head saw me and drove me hospital and waited while I had stitches then dropped me home, although not an MG Midget but jealous I got a ride in a Brown Princess, with gold trimming !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They get too many holidays etc etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mumsnet?I think the thread on how to make roast potatoes is far more mumsnet !
Mumsnet by the way is a militant fascist feminist site hell bent on demeaning men and fighting for women's rights
to the point a man will be charged with sexual harassment just for smiling at a girl in the near future.

As a grandmother, and mother, I've never used Mumsnet, so how are you so knowledgeable about it?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This is just a run through of the future of education, due to cuts many schools are looking at 4 day weeks... As they can't afford supply teachers if the already undersupported and overworked teachers go sick expect to get this on a regular basis.

What goes on in your head, you honestly think schools are due to go 4 day weeks, really.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well, I am at work but fortunately I'm at home which is also about a 3 minute walk from the school. But, yes, there must be other parents who get completely stuffed up when this happens.

stop moaning you lucky git. I had to drive 90 minutes back from work to pick my kid up before christmas, and then they promptly threw up in my car. Jeez some people are never happy...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Of course its crazy, as it will not happen, it diminishes reasoned debate on whether the funding is or not appropriate.
Wasn't there a 3 day week once upon a time

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here