Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Thread for IT geeks and club administrators

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting that some corps, such as Wetherspoons have 'opted out' and completely removed their mailing lists etc. Easier to do that than try and manage it

They can 'opt out' in that way for customer data but they'll still need to conform for their employee data ( and that of potential [CVs] or ex-employees [Personnel Records] ).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I

I've met Brent and contributed a snippet on sp_blitz (which is my first and easiest port of call when auditing a server)

Oh excellent. I've used sp_blitz on many occasions myself. Not had the chance to meet Brent but their 6 month DBA training plan is a resource I constantly go back to.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Oh excellent. I've used sp_blitz on many occasions myself. Not had the chance to meet Brent but their 6 month DBA training plan is a resource I constantly go back to.

Met him at PASS and SQLBits top team there (DR and HA leaders IMO) 2nd only for different reasons to Paul Randalls mob at SQLSkills, **** me a more clever guy you will never meet. I wanna go on SQLCruise for training

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Met him at PASS and SQLBits top team there (DR and HA leaders IMO) 2nd only for different reasons to Paul Randalls mob at SQLSkills, **** me a more clever guy you will never meet. I wanna go on SQLCruise for training

Would love to do SQLCruise at least once. No way I can afford it though and I highly doubt my firm will cover it either :laugh:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Brent Ozar did a really good write up, from a SQL Server perspective, on how easy it is for PII to be spread around:

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2017/12/personally-identifiable-information-gets-around/

Worth a read if you're interested in that side of it. I'm a SQL guy myself and I was surprised at some of the stuff he pointed out.

OT what versions (I assume SQL server) are you still running, finding it hard to keep up with the new lifecycle and a bit fruitless

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Would love to do SQLCruise at least once. No way I can afford it though and I highly doubt my firm will cover it either :laugh:

Thing is its actually relatively cheap for a training program, just companies see it as a skive/free holiday a bit like working from home for some

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They can 'opt out' in that way for customer data but they'll still need to conform for their employee data ( and that of potential [CVs] or ex-employees [Personnel Records] ).

Sure appreciate that, but they HAVE to deal with that info. Given how valuable marketing data is (say - £200 per customer) I find it interesting that retailer would decide to give up on dealing with those details, maintaining a mailing list etc.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We've got some 2008 R2 boxes knocking around but majority are 2012 / 2014.

2008R2 is my favourite lol. Last year I was still administering/programming some SQL 7 and SQL2k boxes on NT4 and W2003, mostly cos of legacy DTS packages that I could be arsed to migrate to SSIS

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
2008R2 is my favourite lol. Last year I was still administering/programming some SQL 7 and SQL2k boxes on NT4 and W2003, mostly cos of legacy DTS packages that I could be arsed to migrate to SSIS

I'm still reasonably new to the game; cut my teeth on 2012. Whippersnapper!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm still reasonably new to the game; cut my teeth on 2012. Whippersnapper!

JCL ha. been on it since 99, weirdly had to get into MySQL the last coupla years which I enjoy far less (the programming side is not disimilair but I dont like the admin side, old dog new tricks and all that)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here