Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Daily am rush hour trains Brighton to London Bridge

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So - apart from not needing to walk over London Bridge to go to Cannon St or tube it to Charing Cross, what are the other benefits of the amazing new London Bridge station?

Having walked through there the last couple of days, I was most surprised to read that all work was completed and the station fully opened again.

I hope they haven't decided to just leave outside as a building site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Never mind London Bridge, what about direct trains from Brighton to Clapham Junction? A few years ago I was working in Basingstoke and needed to change at Clapham. There only seemed to be two trains in the entire morning peak period that stopped at Clapham - one was too early and the other too late. I had to go to East Croydon and change. Anyone who's ever done that knows what it's like trying to wedge yourself onto an already-packed train. Eventually I got the earlier one.

I don't miss the stress of rail commuting one bit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So - apart from not needing to walk over London Bridge to go to Cannon St or tube it to Charing Cross, what are the other benefits of the amazing new London Bridge station?

Having walked through there the last couple of days, I was most surprised to read that all work was completed and the station fully opened again.

I hope they haven't decided to just leave outside as a building site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not fully functional/finished yet - some platforms are still closed and the TL trains can't go straight through yet like they used to (hence the fewer trains from Brighton calling there - they trundle out to Tulse Hill to go towards Luton). Have to say so far it's a massive improvement on what it was.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/south-east/london-bridge-improvements/

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Never mind London Bridge, what about direct trains from Brighton to Clapham Junction? A few years ago I was working in Basingstoke and needed to change at Clapham. There only seemed to be two trains in the entire morning peak period that stopped at Clapham - one was too early and the other too late. I had to go to East Croydon and change. Anyone who's ever done that knows what it's like trying to wedge yourself onto an already-packed train. Eventually I got the earlier one.

I don't miss the stress of rail commuting one bit.

I commute from hove thankfully clj is well served - but i find it bizarre that btn to clj is not.

To the OP - 7.11 hove to ldn bridge is an option

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Thameslink are not going through London Bridge till the may timetable change then there will be loads per hour. We have to learn the new track first

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You've always been able to get from LB to Charing X without tubing it - I used to do that journey into town when I lived in SE London 36 years ago.

The 'improvements' at LB have taken away the bogs that used to be opposite the platforms on the main concourse (and the ones on the old Thameslink platforms). You now need to go on a route march to the other side of the world to get to one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You've always been able to get from LB to Charing X without tubing it - I used to do that journey into town when I lived in SE London 36 years ago.

The 'improvements' at LB have taken away the bogs that used to be opposite the platforms on the main concourse (and the ones on the old Thameslink platforms). You now need to go on a route march to the other side of the world to get to one.

It's not too bad - they are just down the escalators.........close to the Tooley St exit....not sure if there will be others as the rest of the building work is completed.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

There haven't been LB to Charing Cross trains while the LB work has been going on, I think thats what he's saying.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
That sounds about right by rail industry logic. 2 trains an hour when they're most needed, then 4 an hour when they're less needed

If I have got it right there will be 16 Brighton to LB trains departing prior to 9am from May onwards.

The other thing of note is that from May there will be a train to Falmer from Brighton and Lewes every 10 minutes, 6 days a week, throughout the day. Presumably this is possible because of the introduction of the new Thameslink fleet freeing up more trains to work the Coastway routes. This should make evening games in particular much less of a bind next season.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I have got it right there will be 16 Brighton to LB trains departing prior to 9am from May onwards.

The other thing of note is that from May there will be a train to Falmer from Brighton and Lewes every 10 minutes, 6 days a week, throughout the day. Presumably this is possible because of the introduction of the new Thameslink fleet freeing up more trains to work the Coastway routes. This should make evening games in particular much less of a bind next season.

and the crappy 2 car Ashford service will be a proper 4 car train (or maybe thats next year, but its coming)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
cheers all.

So from may , what sort of journey time we looking at Brighton to City Thameslink ?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
cheers all.

So from may , what sort of journey time we looking at Brighton to City Thameslink ?

You can see for yourself here. You need to scroll down and use the "Check my Journey" bit. Looks like quickest is around 1hr 11 and slowest is 1hr 18. On average they seem to bit approaching 10 minutes quicker than now. It's not 100% clear if this from May or December because if you put in a journey and then follow the download timetable link you end up with a PDF with December 2018 at the top.

https://www.transformingrail.com/

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Any commuting experts on here ever tried Arundel to London Bridge? Is this a better route than the south coast line?

It looks like Southern are still serving this line not Thameslink?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You can see for yourself here. You need to scroll down and use the "Check my Journey" bit. Looks like quickest is around 1hr 11 and slowest is 1hr 18. On average they seem to bit approaching 10 minutes quicker than now. It's not 100% clear if this from May or December because if you put in a journey and then follow the download timetable link you end up with a PDF with December 2018 at the top.

The 8:15 from Brighton takes 1 hour 8 minutes to LB (arr. 9:23), the 8:45 takes 1 hour 10 (arr. 9:55) - oh sorry, I was looking at the wrong timetable.........the summer 1912 one!

Still, it's good to see they're looking to make progress though!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Is this true? I always thought it was just because there's no OBS checking tickets....

Yup, when DaFT spec'd the trains they put too much first class in so the rear first class is always declassified, it says so on the over head information screen once the train is moving.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Having read through the thread it seems improvements all round from May, what’s the significance for this month and is it both Southern and TL rolling out better services?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Any commuting experts on here ever tried Arundel to London Bridge? Is this a better route than the south coast line?

It looks like Southern are still serving this line not Thameslink?

Trains from Arundel are for Victoria. There is one direct service to London Bridge at 07:15 arriving (in theory) at 08:44. Evening direct service back is at 17:49. Otherwise its a case of change at East Croydon and join the scrum. The scrum at East Croydon can be avoided by making a same platform change at Crawley onto the the Horsham to LB stopper via Redhill (changing at Horsham requires using the footbridge) but obviously takes longer. From May the trains from Arundel will remain largely unchanged, but the Horsham to LB trains will become thameslinks and there should be four more trains an hour from East Croydon to LB to change onto.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

The 8:15 from Brighton takes 1 hour 8 minutes to LB (arr. 9:23), the 8:45 takes 1 hour 10 (arr. 9:55) - oh sorry, I was looking at the wrong timetable.........the summer 1912 one!

Still, it's good to see they're looking to make progress though!

Except the times you are quoting from @Uter are Brighton to City Thameslink, not LB. The equivalent station in 1912 would be Holborn Viaduct; how long did it take to get there and how many changes? Yes the May 2018 service to LB will only be a few mins quicker at 1hr 02 for a fast peak service but four 12 carriage trains an hour carrying thousands more passengers. Curse these damn facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here