Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Single Use Plastics. (About the Environment, not Football Fans!).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That is more to do with the manufacturers than any local authority. Contact the cheapskate manufacturers.

was told by someone in the food industry that the "recycle" symbol means the plastic is recycled, not that it can be recycled. plastic is supposed to bear the symbol with a number to say what type of plastic it is. so partly manufactures fault but also them doing whats expected.

the wider problem of single use plastic maybe overstated because the problem is when plastic is simply discarded. if you put plastic straw in the bin (in a bag usually) goes to tip it pretty much stays there. its the general litter that arrives in the sea. the single use straw could be recycled if you collected them up and sent them to suitable processing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
was told by someone in the food industry that the "recycle" symbol means the plastic is recycled, not that it can be recycled. plastic is supposed to bear the symbol with a number to say what type of plastic it is. so partly manufactures fault but also them doing whats expected.

the wider problem of single use plastic maybe overstated because the problem is when plastic is simply discarded. if you put plastic straw in the bin (in a bag usually) goes to tip it pretty much stays there. its the general litter that arrives in the sea. the single use straw could be recycled if you collected them up and sent them to suitable processing.

Not really. The plastic used in making these straws is neither recycleable nor reuseable - that's why they're called 'single use'.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Not really. The plastic used in making these straws is neither recycleable nor reuseable - that's why they're called 'single use'.

thats just the point, they are made from a recyclable plastics, most are apparently. items are deemed non-reusable and because of their use in food, the collection and importantly cleaning makes them unviable for recycling. the "single use" designation is applied to anything that is used once, not whether its possible to recycle or reuse.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
At the risk of making myself look even more of an idiot than normal, I do question why any of the plastic that I use and bung in the recycling bin should end up in the ocean? I don't throw it there, I don't leave any litter behind and I've never thrown anything overboard. Surely, if plastic is ending up in the ocean (microbeads aside) then that's an issue further up the chain. Surely the aim is to encourage people to recycle more, make it easier to recycle and encouraging companies and governments to dispose of my waste in a responsible and environmentally friendly way. Of course it won't hurt us to limit our use of plastics as well.
According to the BBC about 95% of the plastic in the oceans gets there by floating down 10 major rivers - they showed the Ganges as an example ... A holy river that makes the people pure ... I don't know whether to laugh or cry

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I live in Wiltshire (someone has to). The plastic we can recycle kerbside is limited to bottles; to recycle other rigid plastics we have to drive to Sainsburys car park... Except for plastic meat trays and toys... For which I have to drive to the recycling dump. Of course i save this stuff till i have a car boot full .

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
France banned the supply of plastic bags in super/hypermarkets for packaging loose fruit and veg, they now supply bio-degradable bags in stead. There are also recent comments on tea bags, these are not 100% recyclable, as the tea bags are sealed using a glue containing plastic.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
France banned the supply of plastic bags in super/hypermarkets for packaging loose fruit and veg, they now supply bio-degradable bags in stead. There are also recent comments on tea bags, these are not 100% recyclable, as the tea bags are sealed using a glue containing plastic.

Ireland is similar, paper bags in all stores

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Lots in the news about single use plastics, especially about how much ends up in our oceans and that micro-beads of plastic are harming our fish and other sea-life.
My resolution is to think before I buy anything with plastic, for example, loose apples instead of packaged ones.
Do you really need to put bananas, baking potatoes, courgettes, carrots to mention only a few items, in to plastic bags when shopping?
These bags would end up as land-fill and not in the sea, but never the less, reducing single use plastics being disposed anywhere has to be a good thing.
Would you consider asking for your second and subsequent pints of Harveys or whatever is your drink at the Amex, to be poured in to the plastic "glass" your first pint was in?
Every little helps?

only problem here is in the NS they pour them in advance to speed things up

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
only problem here is in the NS they pour them in advance to speed things up

and all the other stands

seeing the news this morning that disposable cups are now in the firing line, 25p levy being suggested. dont see why they would stop there, so expect all plastic cups, bottles and paper cartons to be included. maybe cans too, as theres no way they are being reliably recycled, see many as litter or into general waste bins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here