Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Single Use Plastics. (About the Environment, not Football Fans!).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Lots in the news about single use plastics, especially about how much ends up in our oceans and that micro-beads of plastic are harming our fish and other sea-life.
My resolution is to think before I buy anything with plastic, for example, loose apples instead of packaged ones.
Do you really need to put bananas, baking potatoes, courgettes, carrots to mention only a few items, in to plastic bags when shopping?
These bags would end up as land-fill and not in the sea, but never the less, reducing single use plastics being disposed anywhere has to be a good thing.
Would you consider asking for your second and subsequent pints of Harveys or whatever is your drink at the Amex, to be poured in to the plastic "glass" your first pint was in?
Every little helps?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Would you consider asking for your second and subsequent pints of Harveys or whatever is your drink at the Amex, to be poured in to the plastic "glass" your first pint was in?

This is actually a brilliant idea and something i'd not considered, i'll be doing that from now on.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Lots in the news about single use plastics, especially about how much ends up in our oceans and that micro-beads of plastic are harming our fish and other sea-life.
My resolution is to think before I buy anything with plastic, for example, loose apples instead of packaged ones.
Do you really need to put bananas, baking potatoes, courgettes, carrots to mention only a few items, in to plastic bags when shopping?
These bags would end up as land-fill and not in the sea, but never the less, reducing single use plastics being disposed anywhere has to be a good thing.
Every little helps?

I don't like the fact that we have to dispose of things like yoghurt cartons despite them having a recycling symbol on because of the Council's recycling policy as these are supposedly made from "lower grade plastics" according to the Council's guidance leaflet, for which they "do not have a guaranteed market". Consequently I am being obliged to dispose of these in the general waste rather than recycling them even though they bear the recycling symbol. It's not something I like doing and do it begrudgingly.

Last edited:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The way we have used plastics over the last 60 years is a stain on the planet & our & of our generations selfishness - i am shocked it has taken this long before we even are considering taking some action- plastics need to be taxed so that sustainable alternatives are economically viable - only then will the average (lazy) consumer change their ways

I am all for it

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Would you consider asking for your second and subsequent pints of Harveys or whatever is your drink at the Amex, to be poured in to the plastic "glass" your first pint was in?
Every little helps?

Don't the club use compostable starch-based 'plastic' glasses?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I don't like the fact that we have to dispose of things like yoghurt cartons despite them having a recycling symbol on because of the Council's recycling policy as these are supposedly made from "lower grade plastics" according to the Council's guidance leaflet, for which they do not have a guaranteed market. Consequently I am being obliged to dispose of these in the general waste rather than recycling them even though they bear the recycling symbol. It's not something I like doing and do it begrudgingly.

I didn't know that, but then neither do the recycling team where I live either

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Every little helps?

Good shout. Quite a few places (Twickenham for example) now charge you an extra quid for your first pint and you keep the same glass, and if you can be arsed you can get your quid back at the end of the game from a kiosk. Alternatively, chuck it on the floor and it will very quickly be picked up by ‘glass harvesters’ who will the queue up to get the cash back on what they have collected. Either way, massive saving in plastic waste.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't like the fact that we have to dispose of things like yoghurt cartons despite them having a recycling symbol on because of the Council's recycling policy as these are supposedly made from "lower grade plastics" according to the Council's guidance leaflet, for which they do not have a guaranteed market. Consequently I am being obliged to dispose of these in the general waste rather than recycling them even though they bear the recycling symbol. It's not something I like doing and do it begrudgingly.

That is more to do with the manufacturers than any local authority. Contact the cheapskate manufacturers.

Brighton & Hove City Council unanimously passed a resolution recently to strongly encourage individuals and companies from using single-use plastics. One of things they mean is that suppliers of council goods will not be supplying single-use plastics. Some companies have already started on this. For example, Drink in Brighton, which owns 55 pubs across the city, including the North Laine Brewhouse, already ban single-use plastics straws.

In the same meeting, the leader of the council - Warren Morgan - promised to look into installing free drinking water fountains for people to fill the water bottles that they carry around with them. Both opposition parties have identified 20 sites that they want these fountains installed. He has promised to consider six.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't like the fact that we have to dispose of things like yoghurt cartons despite them having a recycling symbol on because of the Council's recycling policy as these are supposedly made from "lower grade plastics" according to the Council's guidance leaflet, for which they "do not have a guaranteed market". Consequently I am being obliged to dispose of these in the general waste rather than recycling them even though they bear the recycling symbol. It's not something I like doing and do it begrudgingly.

Try and find your local day care centre or allotment, they always need pots for seedlings and other things.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
My all time hero, Jackson Browne has been going on about this for eons. I feel guilty that I've chosen to ignore him, on the grounds that my usage doesn't make a lot of difference. Now I'm going to really think about my consumption. Plastic drinks bottles are out for a start. We have to pull back from the abyss.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
At the risk of making myself look even more of an idiot than normal, I do question why any of the plastic that I use and bung in the recycling bin should end up in the ocean? I don't throw it there, I don't leave any litter behind and I've never thrown anything overboard. Surely, if plastic is ending up in the ocean (microbeads aside) then that's an issue further up the chain. Surely the aim is to encourage people to recycle more, make it easier to recycle and encouraging companies and governments to dispose of my waste in a responsible and environmentally friendly way. Of course it won't hurt us to limit our use of plastics as well.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
At the risk of making myself look even more of an idiot than normal, I do question why any of the plastic that I use and bung in the recycling bin should end up in the ocean? I don't throw it there, I don't leave any litter behind and I've never thrown anything overboard. Surely, if plastic is ending up in the ocean (microbeads aside) then that's an issue further up the chain. Surely the aim is to encourage people to recycle more, make it easier to recycle and encouraging companies and governments to dispose of my waste in a responsible and environmentally friendly way. Of course it won't hurt us to limit our use of plastics as well.

It mainly comes from the manufacturers (indonesia & china etc) & countries that dont have good waste disposal - even so - until recently 2/3 of our recycled waste went to china for recycling - which includes incinerating to generate electricity

So the more we can reduce waste the better

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why can't they give us paper bags for that purpose?

I'm not sure it does end up in landfill, a lot of the bottles floating in the sea were p

In terms of us making an effort though, I think we're largely pissing in the wind. I remember going to Germany about 30 years ago and seeing recycling for the first time, and we're now doing at least something, yet I have foreign students here from all over the world and non of them (think China, Russia etc) do any recycling at all.

IMO, instead of worrying about your veg, our country should concentrate on getting other countries around the world do start recycling. Can you believe that Russia, the superpower from the 80s, is still classed as a developing country :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lewes council are in the process of changing our bags and boxes to green wheely bins. They are starting to collect yogurt pots, plastic fruit/veg punnets, plastic egg boxes and lids from bottles.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We used to get through a lot of plastic drinking straws, but have recently bought some reusable stainless steel straws:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/45843/Reusable-Stainless-Steel-Drinking-Straws---Pack-of-6

TBH, we've been reducing / reusing / recycling for so long, the biggest change we could make would be to get our next-door neighbours to stop putting everything in their dustbin. Luckily, our council have similar plans for the new year...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Every little helps?

This is actually a brilliant idea and something i'd not considered, i'll be doing that from now on.

Love it!:salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here