Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brown ahead of Baldock for the final 5 minutes in the Bournemouth game

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The ones he didn't make. We had no outlet because every attacking player was dead on their feet

Who would you have changed? Izqueirdo and Knockeart who were dangerous throughout? Gross who had a hand in both goals and other clear chances created? They scored with 10 mins to go with a fortunate rebound and deflection. Gross could have come off for Kayal after 70mins I guess, but that would have invited pressure and made us less attacking. There is no way you're bringing Brown on at that stage for Iz, Knock , or Gross, the only other attacking option was March, but I wouldn't have taken Iz or Knock off for him either.

He could have done Hemed for Murray earlier, but Murray looked okay to me, and he only played an hour at Newcastle, and 10mins at Chelsea.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I hope Brown gets a start in the no10 role on Monday. He's been unlucky in my opinion, he came in too battle it out with Gross as the No10 but Pascal has been so good he has not had a chance in what is his best position

So when he has had a limited opportunity its been out wide, where he can do a job but isn't really his bag as it were.

As we saw with Sidwell last season and too a certain extent this season with Schelotto we only see a player for what he is after 3 or 4 games and getting match fit.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have to say though after Boremouth for the first time this season mainly because of the tactics not used when we needed to press and try and win the game just like smug Howe did, I did begin to wonder if they were right.

If he continues to be so negative especially against teams around us at home the fat lady may just be clearing her throat.

We had 10mins to go after leading for most of the game! Howe had to change it because they were behind, and at 2-1 up we STILL had the better chances to score next. How were we negative against Bournemouth exactly? He could have bought Kayal on for Gross earlier and gone 5 in midfield, or Goldson on to shore up the defence, but that would have been negative wouldn't it!!? We had gilt edge chances to win that game comfortably and if had F all to do with being negative.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We had 10mins to go after leading for most of the game! Howe had to change it because they were behind, and at 2-1 up we STILL had the better chances to score next. How were we negative against Bournemouth exactly? He could have bought Kayal on for Gross earlier and gone 5 in midfield, or Goldson on to shore up the defence, but that would have been negative wouldn't it!!? We had gilt edge chances to win that game comfortably and if had F all to do with being negative.

I understand what you are saying but Izqueirdo was absolutely dead on his feet he could barely walk let alone run so we were effectively playing with 10 players add to that the fact Propper was also spent and not much better then any substitution would surely be better just to add some needed energy?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The ones he didn't make. We had no outlet because every attacking player was dead on their feet

Right.. so thats considered negative...hmmm....i recall peeps having a go at CH in the last few seasons being negative by taking a forward off and shoving an extra midfielder on.

Personally didn't see every attacking player being dead on there feet

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand what you are saying but Izqueirdo was absolutely dead on his feet he could barely walk let alone run so we were effectively playing with 10 players add to that the fact Propper was also spent and not much better then any substitution would surely be better just to add some needed energy?

I think you are massively exaggerating where Izqueirdo and Propper were in the game. Would be interesting to see how their running stats compared in the last 20mins to see how badly it dropped off, I suspect it didn't by that much. I don't remember Izqueirdo looking dead when he was running back making interceptions on the edge of our box then starting counter attacks.

Your point is really whether March for Izqueirdo and Kayal for Propper on say around the 70min mark would have prevented them from scoring in the 79th min? I didn't think either Iz or Propper looked dead on their feet at that point, in fact for me, on 70mins Izqueirdo still looked the most dangerous player on the pitch, and Propper and Stephens still looked to be holding their own in midfield. Knockeart's work rate was off the scale.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think you are massively exaggerating where Izqueirdo and Propper were in the game. Would be interesting to see how their running compared in the last 20mins to see how badly it dropped off, I suspect it didn't by that much. I don't remember Izqueirdo looking dead when he was running back making interceptions on the edge of our box then starting counter attacks.

Your point is really whether March for Izqueirdo and Kayal for Propper on say around the 70min mark would have prevented them from scoring in the 79th min? I didn't think either Iz or Propper looked dead on their feet at that point, in fact for me, on 70mins Izqueirdo still looked the most dangerous player on the pitch, and Propper and Stephens still looked to be holding their own in midfield. Knockeart's work rate was off the scale.

I'd agree with this....remember commenting to the chap next to me that normally you would make a sub at this point...but couldn't see who he would take off....only minor criticism i guess is that when we were at home to Watford he brought on Kayal at the same stage which seemed to work out....but hey hindsight!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd agree with this....remember commenting to the chap next to me that normally you would make a sub at this point...but couldn't see who he would take off....only minor criticism i guess is that when we were at home to Watford he brought on Kayal at the same stage which seemed to work out....but hey hindsight!

Exactly. No doubt CH and PT have lost sleep over whether bringing Kayal on in particular would have changed things, but it was very fine margins in decision making, not the players dead on their feet like some are suggesting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you are massively exaggerating where Izqueirdo and Propper were in the game. Would be interesting to see how their running stats compared in the last 20mins to see how badly it dropped off, I suspect it didn't by that much. I don't remember Izqueirdo looking dead when he was running back making interceptions on the edge of our box then starting counter attacks.

Think was just about full time when Jose made a superb tackle on the edge of our box, ended up facing the wrong way, went AROUND the attacker and then bombed up the wing........didn't look too dead on his feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here