Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brown ahead of Baldock for the final 5 minutes in the Bournemouth game

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'll be gutted if that's the last we see of Baldock. I was recently reminded on twitter of his absolute golazo against QPR which contained as much skill, speed and sheer tekkers as any other goal scored last year. I genuinely think he's easily good enough for the Premier League.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No one knows. If Baldock was truly ready then he would of got on at Chelsea when 2 down.

Total mystery.

Cant rely on him unfortunately , even if he gets back in the team the next thing is just round the corner.

Its harsh but need to get rid and replace with much better quality

So he's been a long serving member of the club and his goals helped us get promoted. He was injured in the summer, signed a new contract, got himself fit again after several months, scored in the u23s as part of his comeback, been on the bench multiple times in last few weeks.
Yet unfortunately for SB, Hughton has a fully fit squad , doesn't like to play 4-4-2 this season, hasn't suffered from any injuries / suspensions and thus has relied on Hemed/Murray as his two striking options in games. and/or Kayal to replace Gross as the no.10.

He said this about Baldock about his limited appearances on Dec 23.
"At the moment it's almost as difficult to pick the subs as the team.
"That's because we have got a lot of bodies fit and available and that's the way you would want it. So it's purely tactical."

yet the answer inexplicably is - "we can't rely on him" (really ?) or "he's not ready" (Hughton picks players on the bench who aren't ready ??) or "get rid" (because he'll be replaced by er, whom ?) or even more wild, speculative guesses (we all love a wild rumour don't we) but the answer can't be the most obvious one. - Hughton's tactics.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has anybody at the CH press conferences actually tried ASKING him what the score is with selecting Baldock for the bench then never playing him?

Edit: spookily beaten to it by a matter of seconds by Barber's Junior Minister of Information:moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People have these impressions in their heads and they just cannot shake them...

Against Huddersfield he made a sub at HT, one at 63, one at 73.

Spurs, 62, 72, 78.

Liverpool double sub at 70, last at 77.

Burnley 63, 75, 83

Newcastle 62

I could go on but I can't be arsed.

Granted but all like for like ie replace March or Knockaert with Iziquierdo Hemd for Murray Brown for Gross etc no variation to change the tactics or approach to the game to try to win it. Not saying it would work bu he could try Kayal in and push Propper further forward for Gross for the last 20 mins or keep a wide man on and push Iziquierdo up alongside the main striker.ina 4-4-2 set up. When chasing a goal at least try something.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Has anybody at the CH press conferences actually tried ASKING him what the score is with selecting Baldock for the bench then never playing him?

Edit: spookily beaten to it by a matter of seconds by Barber's Junior Minister of Information:moo:

Happy to help THPP

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Granted but all like for like ie replace March or Knockaert with Iziquierdo Hemd for Murray Brown for Gross etc no variation to change the tactics or approach to the game to try to win it. Not saying it would work bu he could try Kayal in and push Propper further forward for Gross for the last 20 mins or keep a wide man on and push Iziquierdo up alongside the main striker.ina 4-4-2 set up. When chasing a goal at least try something.

#NoPlanB.

It's like Poyet never left. :moo:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So he's been a long serving member of the club and his goals helped us get promoted. He was injured in the summer, signed a new contract, got himself fit again after several months, scored in the u23s as part of his comeback, been on the bench multiple times in last few weeks.
Yet unfortunately for SB, Hughton has a fully fit squad , doesn't like to play 4-4-2 this season, hasn't suffered from any injuries / suspensions and thus has relied on Hemed/Murray as his two striking options in games. and/or Kayal to replace Gross as the no.10.

"That's because we have got a lot of bodies fit and available and that's the way you would want it. So it's purely tactical."

yet the answer inexplicably is - "we can't rely on him" (really ?) or "he's not ready" (Hughton picks players on the bench who aren't ready ??) or "get rid" (because he'll be replaced by er, whom ?) or even more wild, speculative guesses (we all love a wild rumour don't we) but the answer can't be the most obvious one. - Hughton's tactics.

we will see what impact he has this season but for me. No sentiment in football. Better / more reliable quality needed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For our 4th choice striker ?

....it will be interesting won’t it...if we sign this ‘elusive’ striker..will SB go (on loan?) ....or will we terminate Browns loan deal early (I take it that’s possible)....either way the way things are SB’s involvement seems limited

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Baldock came to us as a free scoring number 9. CH transformed him into a pacy hardworking number 10, capable of scoring brilliant goals (and enough goals when partnered with Hemed or Murray) and creating great assists for his teammates. He has proved that he has earned a shot at the Premier League and he is also different to any other player we have.

I simply don’t buy the notion that tactics have prevented him making an appearance. There have been recent matches where we have been crying out for player with his attributes yet he has not made an appearance. There is clearly something holding him back that CH is wrestling with. It’s not tactics.

Use him or lose him. He is too good to eternally warm a bench.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They weren't all like-for-like. Huddersfield away, Izquierdo came on from Gross and we had Hemed and Murray up front together. You've just got it in your head he doesn't, and invariably he has done when we're chasing the game.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

I agree with all of that and he has been an excellent servant to the club. If he has personal problems,which we can all face from time to time, then it would be better for the club to say so and say whether or not Sam will be back in due course. To say nothing leads to all this speculation which I don't think is fair on either Sam or the fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Baldock came to us as a free scoring number 9. CH transformed him into a pacy hardworking number 10, capable of scoring brilliant goals and enough goals when partnered with Hemed or Murray. He has proved that he has earned a shot at the Premier League and is different to any other player we have.

I simply don’t buy the notion that tactics have prevented him making an appearance. There have been recent matches where we have needed a player like him yet he has not made an appearance. There is clearly something holding him back that CH is wrestling with. It’s not tactics.

I don't think it's tactics either as he could fulfill the Gross role, all be it in a different way. My feeling is that Baldock maybe just not 100% confident in his body, perhaps he is not 100% committing to challenges in training, or just looking that slightly off the boil. I have little doubt CH would love him as an option, but can't force it if SB isn't showing him he can do it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with all of that and he has been an excellent servant to the club. If he has personal problems,which we can all face from time to time, then it would be better for the club to say so and say whether or not Sam will be back in due course. To say nothing leads to all this speculation which I don't think is fair on either Sam or the fans.

Hughton has commented on this only a few days ago. Didn’t stop NSC rumours of course. Not sure why CH should provide a running commentary.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
4th? Who are you counting as our 3rd? Not attacking midfielder Brown, surely?

Assuming incoming. Baldock would have been 4th or 3rd choice if we’d signed Andone or Dwamena or in January (someone like) Dembele.
Guessing summer club plan to sell a striker (ie: Hemed ) and 2x incoming not likely but who knows.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think it's tactics either as he could fulfill the Gross role, all be it in a different way. My feeling is that Baldock maybe just not 100% confident in his body, perhaps he is not 100% committing to challenges in training, or just looking that slightly off the boil. I have little doubt CH would love him as an option, but can't force it if SB isn't showing him he can do it.

I've yet to see him commit 100% to challenges in matches, let alone training. For all the running around he does, he's extremely lightweight in the actual getting a challenge in department.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here