Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The club and the Palace game

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
A number of season ticket holders who live a fair distance away can’t make any midweek home games regardless of the day because of work. This is accepted for league games as unavoidable. The same cannot he said for an FA Cup match that could have been played at the weekend. I only managed to go to the Palace league game because of a lucky change to my work schedule the following day.

Sorry but I can understand that for a few hundred or maybe a couple of thousand but not 10k+

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I might go now as I am frightened that you would have duffed me up. Just like in the 70s.

If it's a reply, we can always meet up for a latte in South Norwood ?
It's on me. :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Strange one for me. Having been weaned on the rivalry late 70s and early 80s, honestly never though I'd see the day when I wasn't that bothered about a Palace match, but this is as close as it gets. But it is very temporary.

All the factors raised on here are relevant, notably the likelihood of second string teams; lack of club interest and proper pricing resulting in thousands of empty seats; the relative lack of importance compared to the league games this season; lack of decent away allocation; behaviour of Palace idiots last time; and Sussex Police buffoonery dealing with said idiots. Travel difficulties are not really as much of a factor, it is harder on a Monday night but if you want to go, then you get there somehow.

Put it this way, the difference between this and the April away Premier League game - which I have targeted as the game Albion must be safe by - is huge. That will be a proper atmosphere.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
for reference...

FA Cup Crowds at Amex
2012 v Wrexham 18K
2012 v Newcastle 21K
2013 v Newcastle 20K
2013 v Arsenal 27K
2014 v Hull 21K
2015 v Arsenal 30K
2016 v MK Dons 11K

Also for reference...

palace_facup.jpg

cyberleech

May 21, 2013
Its January, and a few weeks yet until next pay day. Credit cards need attention, and a cold windy evening at the Amex is a test for any ardent supporter, especially on a school night. Some incentive to fill the ground eg cut-price for under 15's? may have helped.

And its Palace, not a big name club....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I might go now as I am frightened that you would have duffed me up. Just like in the 70s.

I would have stood by you mate. Se20 is a pussy cat. BTW what ever happened to Seagulleater?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's a shame, it would be nice to put faces to names.

you don't want to see his face...only one a mother would love :moo:

Aint that right Centurian

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I love the 'bad fan' accusations. As if BHA is a brain washing cult. Well...

I went to the league game and that was enough. I have a lot of work to do, it's a Monday evening and it's on the box. There won't be the atmosphere that there was at the last one.

I also wanting to save an unnecessary 25 quid.

I'll hang my head in shame. Very briefly until I realise that I actually have a life.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just received an email from the club about West Ham and Swansea tickets. At the bottom of the email it says 'Coming up at the Amex' and it has Albion v Chelsea. No mention of the Palace game whatsoever. They don't want us to go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
...or are the club realising that the only thing they are interested in is the premier league and regard the cup as an unwelcome distraction.

I have mates who support teams like Palace. Pompey and Southampton who when we were topping the Championship told me to be careful what I wish for. Yes the Premier is the Holy Grail, but once you are there, the reality strikes and that is nothing else matters than staying in the premier. All the cup competitions are regarded with disdain as they lead to nothing and are a distraction. Managers don't want to risk players and fans have lost interest in cups.

And yet all three clubs you mention, have reached cup finals, in their most recent Premier League spells...

I agree they'll never be THE priority, but the strength of a PL squad is such, that any Prem club has a chance of a final appearance, with a favourable draw through the early rounds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on Easy-

Can add 3 more from our perspective-
7- The Sussex police
8- Held in after the game
9- That shite station

Despite saying after the 0-0 I wouldn't revisit the Amex for a midweek fixture I have done a U turn and will be there Monday. I can understand why a lot of people haven't bothered this time though.

8 - you can only expect, it'll be the same when we come to yours
9 - the station is fine. Its only a 2 minute frogmarch to get there (not a half hour+ yomp through town like at some grounds). As long as the trains are behaving, the queues move pretty quickly. I'm usually back at Brighton station within half an hour of the final whistle, sometimes quicker if I get lucky with the timing.

That said, with the train strike I have no idea how the trains will play out on Monday if Southern Fail aren't providing the additional matchday service. That has all the ingredients in place for a bumper portion of chilli-con-CARNAGE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here