Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The club and the Palace game

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely we all know that avoiding relegation is the priority and a worthwhile aim this year?

I’d love to see the Cup come back, but what you’ve described has been a reality for many a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Totally agree. As I have said, getting there for me was the thing

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The club's attitude towards his game, being so anal about it in every aspect, and the no show supporters who are not going because of last time are both an absolute disgrace.

You are correct, they are our fiercest and biggest rivals, irrespective of the reason for the game the stadium should be rammed to the rafters.

If this was against any of the top 4 on a Monday night in the FA cup even on TV it would have sold out by now.

I get not selling out against York on a Monday night on the TV but not this one.

Club and no show supporters on this one hang your head in shame.

(No show for work and genuine reasons etc are forgiven, the lame I'm scared, its hassle etc are not)

I'm going, but I couldn't care less about the Palace thing, and will be very interested to see how our fringe playes perform.

And it's 120 mile round trip on a miserable January night.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Those that do turn up will hopefully be those that like to get behind the team vocally and make it a decent atmosphere , couldn't give a toss if people choose not to attend or not , that's down to them and nobody else , i guess the proposed train strike put a fair few off but according to my chums at Southern they will be fine (whatever that means ) , i agree the club itself has done little to tempt people to attend and the £25 could of been slightly less , perhaps a club statement about the train service one way or another may tempt a few more to attend STILL the clubs main rival match whatever the teams . :bhasign:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely if they wanted or expected a small crowd, surely they'd do what they have done for other cup games and only opened the lower stands (or possibly just the pitch side lower stands) and only open other areas if demand was high enough.

That way they would need fewer stewards, serving staff for the catering, etc...

The lack of uptake is down to fans not bothering, most will already know about it but obviously decided against going so any more publicity or advertising will have little impact

They are surely only selling to those with a purchase history too, so that limits the group to which we can sell (done to avoid Palace fans in the home end- obviously)

You theory seems more a wild guess based upon uptake and concluding that the reason must be due to the clubs actions, nothing more

There is a good argument for not closing stands as STH can't claim their normal seats, sit with their usual neighbours etc. It's possible the club might have just misjudged it, but the pricing and minimal loyalty points suggest they were not keen on a full attendance for this game. They know ticket sales have been poor, but have done nothing to provide incentives, such as increasing the loyalty points allocation, cheap tickets for STH guests or saying attendees will have priority for later rounds including the final, etc. There is a lot they could have done to encourage more people to attend but they haven't done it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is disappointing - but understandable - to read that some people aren't interested in the rivalry with Palace, and this is where I think the FA Cup's demise is most corrosive.

There's nothing that takes away the intensity of a rivalry like friendlies or half-arsed competitions, and playing the game on a Monday night makes a bad job worse.

England versus Germany used to be a big thing but a series of annual friendlies have watered that down. What used to be unmissable 20 years ago is now "Meh".

The FA are being extremely complacent about both cup competitions. They need to learn from other sports as to what works and what doesn't.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For anyone watching at home: how much of the saved £25 are you allocating on drinks and snacks? What are you getting in?

I'll be pretty much writing off that £25 down the pub, being as I'll start drinking there upon arrival after work, and will probably have a cod and chips or a steak and ale pie for dinner there as well. Won't be much change after that.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

1. Monday nights are a complete ballache for many
2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

The only thing I'd take issue with is number 6.

If the club took the FA Cup seriously (and I completely understand why it's not a priority) then I suspect the supporters would also be more inclined to take it seriously too.

I often wonder why established Prem teams, who are in no danger of relegation, but are not going to be going for a European place, don't have a proper tilt at the Cups. Who doesn't love a cup run?

Monday will see two second string sides, both of whom would be quite happy to be knocked out, playing a meaningless game. Hardly surprising it hasn't caught the imagination of many among the Albion faithful.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I suspect there'd have been a lot more on the game had it been third round last season. I think a lot of people have got the Palace bug out of their system after the long wait to play them and it's not really had the time to build up again.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Has the club communicated this? They would if they actually wanted people to attend.

They might find the game a bit of a headache police/security/cost wise, its no secret Hughton will put out a 2nd team (prem is a priority) and and obviously its a struggle for some to attend (cost post xmas, evening games , on telly, bit of a faff, policing/that lot) - who doesn't agree all of that - . Even Glenn Murray has said "we could have done without it'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-striker-Glenn-Murray-war-Crystal-Palace.html
but this idea that they actively don't want to sell tickets - come on.

For first time for a cup game at the Amex...
"Free bus and rail travel are included in this match and will be in operation from within the
subsidised travel zones. "
there's numerous comms on the website about ticket info
https://www.seagullstickets.com/documents/pdf/1718/HOME_CrystalPalaceFACR3.pdf
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...itality-on-sale-on-friday-for-palace-cup-tie/
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/december/important-information-for-palace-cup-tie/

and i've had several emails trying to flog tickets (ie: fan numbers of those who've bought cup games or one of games in the past as well as ST reminders) and no doubt more comms in the next couple of days.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lots of people making excuses about the travel, but this is no longer the case, its not much different to any other mid week league game now.

The chance of knocking Palace out of the FA Cup would brighten up my week I know that!

A number of season ticket holders who live a fair distance away can’t make any midweek home games regardless of the day because of work. This is accepted for league games as unavoidable. The same cannot he said for an FA Cup match that could have been played at the weekend. I only managed to go to the Palace league game because of a lucky change to my work schedule the following day.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
No it wouldn't. The opposition has got absolutely nothing to do with it. There are a LOAD of factors as to why this won't sell out, NONE of which are unique to BHAFC by the way. Just have a look at the attendances around the country this FA Cup weekend. It doesn't matter whether we'd be playing CPFC2010, Man Utd, Liverpool or Oxford, there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

1. Monday nights are a complete ballache for many
2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

Kick and scream and brandish your SUPERFAN status around as much as you like, but thems the facts as to why it won't sell out. People do have a CHOICE in all this you know. Grow up and accept it.

Spot on Easy-

Can add 3 more from our perspective-
7- The Sussex police
8- Held in after the game
9- That shite station

Despite saying after the 0-0 I wouldn't revisit the Amex for a midweek fixture I have done a U turn and will be there Monday. I can understand why a lot of people haven't bothered this time though.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Game against our rivals, comfy seat (with probable option to spread out a bit), fish & chip supper, a chance to see some fringe players play, and all without the utter stress and anxiety of the Prem game previously. Lovely stuff.

Are any of our NSC Palace regulars going?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Game against our rivals, comfy seat (with probable option to spread out a bit), fish & chip supper, a chance to see some fringe players play, and all without the utter stress and anxiety of the Prem game previously. Lovely stuff.

Are any of our NSC Palace regulars going?

I'm not .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here