Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The club and the Palace game

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
FWIW I didn't have any trouble getting a train back into Brighton during the train strikes last season. If anything it was easier as the queues were smaller.

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
As above
d253c177c8b383413a326fb1a9062f6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Out of interest if the game was at home on a Saturday at 3pm (with no travel problems) what clubs would people want to see us play against?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I got a email from southern saying they will be running a normal service

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Has the club communicated this? They would if they actually wanted people to attend.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Am I the only one to think the club has deliberately failed to promote this game? After what happened in the league match, I think they want as low a crowd as possible to contain any trouble and avoid the ball-ache of dealing with large numbers of rival supporters. They have alreafy restricted the Palace allocation for this reason (as they did for the league game - despite other clubs coping perfectly well with games against rival teams with full allocations for both sets of fans).

For Premier League clubs, gate receipts only form a tiny fraction of revenue, dwarfed by TV money. The club will also save on stewarding costs, etc. They would have known the attendance would be low given it's Monday night, on TV and the lack of interest in the FA Cup, yet ticket prices are high at £25 and there are only five loyalty points up for grabs. If we had been playing another EPL club, say Burnley or Swansea, tickets would have been £15 and there'd be 15 loyalty points (there has been as many as 20 for home cup games in the past).

I think Paul Barber looked at this fixture and basically didn't fancy it. Wouldn't be surprised if this was done in coordination with the police, who certainly wouldn't have fancied it given their balls ups in the previous game (forgetting such basics as having officers on the Palace turnstiles and then lying about Palace fans having knives and knuckledusters, presumably to cover for their ineptitude). There has also been a distinct lack of marketing around this fixture.

It's massively disappointing that the stadium will only be half full. What message will this send to the players? If the club were at all concerned they would pull their finger out and change the loyalty points allocation. It seems pretty clear they are only interested in the sanitised, family-friendly version of the game and a match against our biggest rivals is too much of a problem for them to be bothered with.

Surely if they wanted or expected a small crowd, surely they'd do what they have done for other cup games and only opened the lower stands (or possibly just the pitch side lower stands) and only open other areas if demand was high enough.

That way they would need fewer stewards, serving staff for the catering, etc...

The lack of uptake is down to fans not bothering, most will already know about it but obviously decided against going so any more publicity or advertising will have little impact

They are surely only selling to those with a purchase history too, so that limits the group to which we can sell (done to avoid Palace fans in the home end- obviously)

You theory seems more a wild guess based upon uptake and concluding that the reason must be due to the clubs actions, nothing more

luge

Dec 18, 2010
The club's attitude towards his game, being so anal about it in every aspect, and the no show supporters who are not going because of last time are both an absolute disgrace.

Club and no show supporters on this one hang your head in shame.

(No show for work and genuine reasons etc are forgiven, the lame I'm scared, its hassle etc are not)

Originally I was going to miss it because of the following:

1) Time. I live in south london, evening games are a bitch, I don't get home till 1 am.
2) Reserve sides. Realistically its at least a 60 quid spend for me by the time I get down and back. Paying this to watch scratch sides is a bit of a stretch.
3) I have to get the train back with a load of palace fans. Normally this is fine, but there are seemingly idiots who take things too far.

But now I am working, so there we go!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Originally I was going to miss it because of the following:

1) Time. I live in south london, evening games are a bitch, I don't get home till 1 am.
2) Reserve sides. Realistically its at least a 60 quid spend for me by the time I get down and back. Paying this to watch scratch sides is a bit of a stretch.
3) I have to get the train back with a load of palace fans. Normally this is fine, but there are seemingly idiots who take things too far.

But now I am working, so there we go!

:thumbsup:

I count myself lucky that I am just a few miles along the coast

This thread is just going to be a regurgitation of the arguments on the other one ..hey ho

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not going because my time is worth more than queues, I don't get the rivalry and they might bring some proper nawty fans.

Going to meet up with some mates at a local watering hole and sit like a bunch of bellends around a table seeing who can be most SMUG about our reasons for not going.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
absolutely not. exactly the same.

At least with the Championship, you had the holy grail to shoot for..the aim when you are there is not to be one of the three worst teams in the Prem.

Surely we all know that avoiding relegation is the priority and a worthwhile aim this year?

I’d love to see the Cup come back, but what you’ve described has been a reality for many a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If it is such a bother to the teams to compete in this match then maybe it should be called off. They could flip a coin to see which side is unlucky enough to continue their cup run.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Shouldn't need promoting; it's Palace.
Those who "don't get the rivalry" obviously don't get the Albion. If the JCL's & early leavers can't be bothered, then good.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No it wouldn't. The opposition has got absolutely nothing to do with it. There are a LOAD of factors as to why this won't sell out, NONE of which are unique to BHAFC by the way. Just have a look at the attendances around the country this FA Cup weekend. It doesn't matter whether we'd be playing CPFC2010, Man Utd, Liverpool or Oxford, there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

1. Monday nights are a complete ballache for many
2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

Kick and scream and brandish your SUPERFAN status around as much as you like, but thems the facts as to why it won't sell out. People do have a CHOICE in all this you know. Grow up and accept it.

Although I agree with most of your post I disagree that the opposition has no bearing, for some it is a factor I would not have bothered going at all if it was not Palace it was the influencing factor for me. I wasn't going to go until we drew them as for me the FA Cup, is finished as a competition it's like an elderly pet in the last years of life, you love it but you wonder whether it would be kinder to have it put down.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Depends what you mean by interested. The 2 x Arsenal and 2 x Newcastle games were some of the most memorable games at the Amex in the last 7 years, had sell out crowds, were televised (ie: £££) and we played (mostly) full strength sides. Club seemed pretty interested in the FA Cup then.
Last year - away to Lincoln and Home to MK Dons in the middle of a promotion campaign. Perhaps less so.

That was then, this is now. The last Arsenal game was Jan 2015, less than four weeks after Hughton took over so was an opportunity to cast his eye over the squad. We had a crap squad. Since then we have played mainly reserve and U23 players in all cup competitions.

In your opinion, do you think the club are genuinely keen on progress in the competition?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
More disappointed with our fans that seemingly don't want to watch us play our rivals. Cup game and weakened sides or not... our rivals are our rivals surely ?

Personally I wouldn't blame any of our fans or their fans for not bothering. The police have made it so oppressive with all the restrictions that it's too much hassle for the average fan. I agree with the OP that it's a deliberate tactic to stop people turning up.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Low attendance has nothing to do with the fans not being bothered with the cup. If every club and every manager insisted on a full team, we and everyone else would sell a hell of a lot more.
Club's have money as priority which is PL survival. Managers have jobs as priority, as their employers have PL as priority they will do everything to stay in the job so that means ditching the cup.
Obviously with all of the hassle associated with a Monday night game after Xmas etc. There is less enthusiasm but ultimately it is siren to the club that this will be a lower attendance.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Completely agree. The game is an inconvenience which is why it has been parked on a Monday night. Leaves a sour taste and leaves me feeling that the club and police don’t understand the rivalry or the FA Cup.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Hasn't it been parked on a Monday night because we have to abide by the wishes of the broadcaster?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here