Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Neil Swarbrick

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just a thought they have two VAR what if one says it was a penalty and the other says it was a dive does Swarbrick take precedence and make the decison? Or do they leave it with the refs decison to stand.

You need to read up on how VAR is to operate. The final decision on whether to stand by the original decision or to change it rests with the referee alone. While the VARs will provide an input the on pitch referee is solely in charge of on field decisions.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Eh I'm slightly confused by VAR then, from what I've seen in Australia and Italy using it, is it not just the on-field ref decides to go to the side of the pitch to watch the video there?

Why are these extra refs required?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I read it, but could be wrong, Neil Swarbrick is the VAR to advise Andre Marriner with the football knowledge and Peter Kirkup is the tech guy. My point about the 2 of them not agreeing was as to who has the power to advise Andre Marriner about the decision that he has given, and for him to make the final decision. He can of course watch the same recording that the VAR have watched but that will take time unless they all do it together so you have 3 views, the ref on the side of the pitch and 2 VAR, and they agree on the correct decision by majority.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Eh I'm slightly confused by VAR then, from what I've seen in Australia and Italy using it, is it not just the on-field ref decides to go to the side of the pitch to watch the video there?

Why are these extra refs required?

The video ref can alert the actual ref to review the footage.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
from all you need to know about VAR's

VARs and other match officials are able to recommend reviews, but the only person who can initiate one is the referee, who will then have the final say on whether their original decision should stand or be changed.

They have the option to review footage themselves on a pitch-side monitor before making a final decision.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I accept and realize that but thought they would be working hand in glove so the park and studio would be multi purpose.

Why would you think that when at no stage during the outside broadcast space construction was it mentioned that the VARs would be using it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here